SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 18, 2013, 09:00 AM
cpo
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Dec 2012
1,026 Posts
Discussion
OpenTX and Companion9X Programming and Configuration Thread

Alright... hoping this works. There is a ton of great info specific to the programming and configuration of OpenTX firmware, either in-radio or through the use of Companion9x (CompanionTX). The hardware platform is ever expanding, but barring a few hardware-specific dependencies, the fundamental programming and configuration methodologies are the same.

There is already a lot of great information in RC Groups, but it is unfortunately intermingled with a bunch of other discussion in various threads. This thread is to offer a dedicated hangout spot for OpenTX/Companion9X programming.

Let's talk technical!

Also... don't forget that there is the openrcforums wiki that is growing with consolidated information.

And...the OpenTX User Guide and Companion9X Download Page

***** IMPORTANT: Since there are subtle variations in firmware for the different transmitters, please include your firmware version and transmitter make/model so we can think apples to apples. *****
cpo is offline Find More Posts by cpo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cpo; Nov 21, 2013 at 05:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2013, 09:12 AM
cpo
Joined Dec 2012
1,026 Posts
[moved from the Taranis Thread in order to start off this new thread on OpenTX programming.]

I'm looking for experienced OpenTX users to see if there is a better way to do this.

This is part four of a continuing series that is sort of a "come along with me as I learn about the 9XR and OpenTX". The "9XR" portion was sorted pretty quick...so now its mostly just about leveraging the power of OpenTX in traditional, and perhaps non-traditional, ways. All of this new knowledge will be applied directly to the enjoyment of my Taranis when it arrives.

Most of what I know is from Scott's, Mark Harrison's, and others' videos. That combined with a little personal experimentation has led me to this point. Sometimes the easy answer is right in front of me...and I do have an admitted habit of over-engineering things. Hence the request for you all to take a peek for me.

This single "capability" is using 2 custom switches, 4 GVARS, and 6 custom functions!!! There *HAS* to be an easier way! : )

Quote:
Variable Rates in OpenTX (Companion9x) : Part Four of the 9XR Series

Here's what's covered in this video:

This video is a follow-on to the last video where I showed my simple method for variable rates that can be adjusted with a pot knob while in flight. I decided to tinker some more and attempt to come up with a way to meet the following requirements:

1. Rates (weights) should be adjustable via a knob or slider
2. The ability to "turn off" and "turn on" adjustability should be established
3. Changes in weight settings should not be jumpy, even when "turning off and on" the ability.
4. The adjustment should span an entire range, with defined low and high limits of adjustment.

So this video shows the evolution of my solution. I am sure there is a better way, so I am hoping the OpenTX experts can take a look and give me some ideas. I haven't really seen that this has been done yet...but I am sure it has.

Thanks for watching!
Variable Rates in OpenTX (Companion9x) : Part Four of the 9XR Series (16 min 51 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CPO's FPV 250 Racing Quad
Old Nov 18, 2013, 09:27 AM
cpo
Joined Dec 2012
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpal44 View Post
I finally had some time to listen to your video. .... I enjoyed watching it and would like to do more as winter is here and I do that stuff in lieu of flying a lot.
One thought I had on the persistent value was using "d" instead of "a". In the wiki, it is given one small line, but I think you may find it useful (I had to reread it a few times and still haven't used it). Remember, "elegant" is in the eye of the creator. I will do more viewing of your post and set it up myself as it has my interest. No too sure how "elegant" my programming is, but I like doing it.....
I remember looking at "d" when I was doing this but I couldn't get it to fit. Here's the bit from the OpenTX guide:

Quote:
d>x, |d|>x: Active when the selected variable, repectively its absolute value has changed by more than x since last time. For example, d>x Alt 10 would trigger once every time Altitude goes up by 10m. |d|>x Alt 10 would trigger once everytime Altitude goes up OR down by 10m.
I'll take another look at it.

There was another piece that interested me...but I couldn't find it in Companion9X...

Quote:
Custom switches offer 3 more parameters: An extra AND condition (if selected, must be on for the custom switch to become active), a Duration parameter (the minimum time a custom switch will be active for even if its conditions become false instantly), and a delay parameter (that affects both activation and deactivation). See the title bar header to see the function of the field the cursor is on.
I can find the AND condition, but I couldn't find anything with regard to duration or delay.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2013, 09:46 AM
Joined Jul 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpo View Post
I remember looking at "d" when I was doing this but I couldn't get it to fit. Here's the bit from the OpenTX guide:

I'll take another look at it.

There was another piece that interested me...but I couldn't find it in Companion9X...

I can find the AND condition, but I couldn't find anything with regard to duration or delay.
Yes, that's what I had in mind. I too gave it a cursory look and thought it might come in handy at some time, and it jumped up when I watched your last video. I tend to program on the radio (I have a taranis), so I will look at it there.
I just finished an indoor 3D plank and am doing radio adjustments on it. My 70 yr old attention span limits me now to one thing at a time. The good news is I have a fair amount of time. I will go through your videos again later today as I think I could use this for the new plane, or I will make it fit.
oldpal44 is offline Find More Posts by oldpal44
Old Nov 18, 2013, 03:37 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,779 Posts
Video Explanations

I'm in.

First I want to point out that there is already quite a bit of information and examples "out there" but locating it is frequently a problem.

For a pretty complete list of videos available see http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/Video_guides

The first few posts of this thread has a great index. I hope this thread will do similar or the same.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1914834

Finally, I want to mention that I posted another video today - this on on using the custom function to record telemetry and transmitter data to a .csv file for later analysis. It's the logging function and it's pretty cool to see how your batteries perform ... etc.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Nov 18, 2013, 04:52 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Sep 2013
323 Posts
OpenTX and Companion9X Programming and Configuration Thread

Does anyone know if there is a way to tap into the telemetry data and bring it outside of the case (in any form)? I have a project in mind where I'd like to feed the data into an Arduino.
ChristianGeek is offline Find More Posts by ChristianGeek
Old Nov 18, 2013, 05:46 PM
United States, CA, Rio Vista
Joined Feb 2012
1,309 Posts
Delete
Dean Church is online now Find More Posts by Dean Church
Last edited by Dean Church; Nov 18, 2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 05:53 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,309 Posts
[deleted..it was you that asked on OpenRCForums.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 06:52 PM
Joined Sep 2013
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDmbThms View Post
[deleted..it was you that asked on OpenRCForums.
Was that directed at me? I haven't asked this question before on any forum.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 07:36 PM
Joined Jul 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianGeek View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to tap into the telemetry data and bring it outside of the case (in any form)? I have a project in mind where I'd like to feed the data into an Arduino.
Logging Telemetry and Transmitter Controls with FrSky Taranis (4 min 40 sec)

See Scott's vid at above. The csv file can be loaded into Excel and done as you wish. When I did this the time were off, but relative to the event.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 07:40 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianGeek View Post
Was that directed at me? I haven't asked this question before on any forum.
Yes it was and I apologize. My only excuse is I had too many windows open and thought I saw your name on OpenRCForums.

Anyway...to your question.
Look at
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewto...B+sport#p63623

Where Mike B and a couple others like Alan have thrashed this out.

Sorry
Dean
Old Nov 19, 2013, 05:41 AM
cpo
Joined Dec 2012
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpal44 View Post
See Scott's vid at above. The csv file can be loaded into Excel and done as you wish. When I did this the time were off, but relative to the event.
Talk about timing....Scott *just* posted that video!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2013, 06:18 AM
cpo
Joined Dec 2012
1,026 Posts
@oldpal44

I finally got a chance to look at the custom switches again. Here is what is available to me (OpenTX M128 on 9XR):

As you can see, my only option with d is Greater Than or Equal To. I would want the opposite. If there was a |d|<=x, then I could make it work. Even then though...it would not remain persistent.

Does anyone know how to have a custom switch remain persistent after an instant trigger other than the way I did it?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cpo; Nov 21, 2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 08:34 AM
Joined Jul 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
@oldpal44

I finally got a chance to look at the custom switches again. Here is what is available to me:

As you can see, my only option with d is Greater Than or Equal To. I would want the opposite. If there was a |d|<=x, then I could make it work. Even then though...it would not remain persistent.

Does anyone know how to have a custom switch remain persistent after an instant trigger other than the way I did it?
I began doing a test prog on my Taranis, and began seeing that there will be differences. I am almost done, but went brain dead last night. I did see the lack of " "<" for the "d" and also saw where the mod radio versions seem to lack the duration feature that is on the taranis( I have 2 9X mod radios, so I jump between them and Taranis). Another problem will be you calling ELE switch and me calling SA. I have already moved from the P1 to LS (the left slider on taranis). I will see this through, but time is short for me this week. So many fun things for a retiree. (I'm just bragging now).
Edit: Your version of Companion does not have the Duration function available that the latest ver for the Taranis does. Take a look at that. I really have learned from you on this one and will still see this through. Neat programming.
Last edited by oldpal44; Nov 19, 2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 08:42 AM
Joined Sep 2013
323 Posts
Quote:
Talk about timing....Scott *just* posted that video!
I need it live, not after the fact.