SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 740 86.15%
were just asking for too much 119 13.85%
Voters: 859. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 11, 2015, 06:29 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
leethetreeguy's Avatar
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,515 Posts
A couple of days ago, I ordered some of my favorite batts. The MiniAviations. I think they out perform the hyp's. But, that is just my point of observation. They had a new size. I think they were around 220mah's. I got so excited...I ordered the set of five and some battery leads I have been wanting. The total with shipping came to around $50. So, it was worth it to me. I would have paid that just to have some new MA's. hahaha
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2015, 06:30 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
leethetreeguy's Avatar
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,515 Posts
And the MA's should be a better fit for the Trojan. And other planes and copters that are designed for the stock size.
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2015, 05:47 PM
Registered User
rccraze's Avatar
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Jul 2012
206 Posts
I am finding that even with new batteries, my UM T-28 quits within a second when I give the throttle. It looks like the battery connector wires connected to the board has a loose connection. If I wiggle the wire, I loose the power to the board, but interestingly if I position the wire correctly, it will bind, all controls will work, but once I give throttle, motor tries to spin and quits and I loose the power to the board.

I assume that is the issue unless the receiver has gone bad! Has anyone bumped into this issue?
rccraze is online now Find More Posts by rccraze
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2015, 05:59 PM
miataman
miatamama's Avatar
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
707 Posts
Solder the leads at the board. If that doesn't work solder a new lead on. Trouble could be at either end of batt lead.

JCS
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2015, 06:02 AM
"Some do, some don't"
old_coastie's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccraze View Post
I am finding that even with new batteries, my UM T-28 quits within a second when I give the throttle. It looks like the battery connector wires connected to the board has a loose connection. If I wiggle the wire, I loose the power to the board, but interestingly if I position the wire correctly, it will bind, all controls will work, but once I give throttle, motor tries to spin and quits and I loose the power to the board.

I assume that is the issue unless the receiver has gone bad! Has anyone bumped into this issue?
First of all, is it still in warranty? This is one prob that HH might make right if you can convince them that it's not "Crash" damage.

When you position the wire "just right" you are making a connection that will supply enough current/voltage for the rx and servos but not a good enough connection to pass the amps needed to run the motor, when you try to spin the motor up the extra load drops the voltage to the point where the rx shuts off...

It is a relatively simple fix, but soldering experience is required...

Mark R.

old_coastie
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:38 PM
Registered User
rccraze's Avatar
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Jul 2012
206 Posts
Thanks Mark. No, it is not under warranty anymore. I can solder, but soldering tiny wires directly to the board with the single tip standard old soldering iron will be challenging and in fact may ruin the receiver. I either invest in good soldering iron with magnifying glasses or take it to the local hobby shop to a professional if they don't charge me almost the cost of the receiver. But I need to check if the issue is at the battery connector end and if it is, I can handle it on my own with a new lead.
rccraze is online now Find More Posts by rccraze
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2015, 02:16 PM
"Some do, some don't"
old_coastie's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccraze View Post
Thanks Mark. No, it is not under warranty anymore. I can solder, but soldering tiny wires directly to the board with the single tip standard old soldering iron will be challenging and in fact may ruin the receiver. I either invest in good soldering iron with magnifying glasses or take it to the local hobby shop to a professional if they don't charge me almost the cost of the receiver. But I need to check if the issue is at the battery connector end and if it is, I can handle it on my own with a new lead.
Sounds like you have the situation well under control, really good soldering irons aren't cheap, but my profession has been electronics for over 35 years... Let's just say I "inherited" some good equipment over the years...

Mark R.

old_coastie
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2015, 02:47 PM
Registered User
rccraze's Avatar
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Jul 2012
206 Posts
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! It turned out that the loose connection was connector lead to the battery. So it was an easy fix with shrink tubes without soldering skills ! I also replace the motor with CL-0820-15-9T -from micro-motor warehouse. It was recommended for UM P-40 and supposed to be stronger than the stock motor. I will be happy to report how it goes when the weather improves! It also has relatively new tail rudder with the stabilizer.
rccraze is online now Find More Posts by rccraze
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2015, 06:55 AM
"Some do, some don't"
old_coastie's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccraze View Post
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! It turned out that the loose connection was connector lead to the battery. So it was an easy fix with shrink tubes without soldering skills ! I also replace the motor with CL-0820-15-9T -from micro-motor warehouse. It was recommended for UM P-40 and supposed to be stronger than the stock motor. I will be happy to report how it goes when the weather improves! It also has relatively new tail rudder with the stabilizer.
Uh oh... Another RC addict is born.... That's how it starts...

Mark R.

old_coastie
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2015, 09:19 AM
Registered User
JLT_GTI's Avatar
Spain, Principado de Asturias, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccraze View Post
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! It turned out that the loose connection was connector lead to the battery. So it was an easy fix with shrink tubes without soldering skills ! I also replace the motor with CL-0820-15-9T -from micro-motor warehouse. It was recommended for UM P-40 and supposed to be stronger than the stock motor. I will be happy to report how it goes when the weather improves! It also has relatively new tail rudder with the stabilizer.
I have 2 of those ready to be inplanted in my Champ and T-28 ... im tired of swaping motors on this microplanes so i hope this gets some better
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2015, 03:54 PM
Aerial Birdwatcher
bergenflier's Avatar
Joined Jul 2014
338 Posts
Sending my T28 back to Horizon.
Motor problem while flying today, shorted, and nose dived into the ground.
808 keychain footage is available.
Will post it.
bergenflier is offline Find More Posts by bergenflier
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion PZ Radian or PZ T-28????? rclab1 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 10 Jun 06, 2010 12:59 AM
Question Which is better for grass field pz t 28 or pz p51d bl friz Electric Warbirds 25 Mar 25, 2010 10:00 PM
Poll Which is better for grass field pz t 28 or pz p51d bl friz 3D Flying 0 Mar 22, 2010 08:20 PM
Sold TRADE PZ Corsair PNP for PZ T-28 HBPD Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Oct 14, 2009 12:18 AM
Wanted Will trade for PZ F4U or T-28... WWIIace Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 12, 2009 11:41 AM