SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:54 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newTOpro View Post
Hi all,
Maiden flight of my SSX yesterday was wonderful! I don't have pics as of yet. For one, I was by myself, and two, I'm not very proud of my covering job. My first time at it and it didn't quite come out as planned. But that can be changed as I'm sure a crash will be future so when repairs are needed, I can update the covering.

She flew OK but I needed a lot of up elevator to fly level, even though she is balanced about 1" behind the wing spar. DO you gents think I should let her be a bit tail heavy with the COG for level flight or is there something else maybe going on? Other than that, I have throws dialed down on the ailerons and elevator as I'm a beginner. I still have full rudder throws in play. She was nice and docile and very comfortable to fly, other than needing up elevator as I said.
Were is your CG set? Check your angle of attack.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2012, 01:05 PM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,063 Posts
CG Problem

Having a problem balancing my SSX. I am way off on the measured balance points. I only get a balance on spar with 7 1/8 from the motor mount to front of wing and 9 from trailing edge to front of tail mount. Only running a 1300 mAh battery a light radio gear. Any ideals on what I can check?
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Apr 05, 2012, 01:53 PM
Gravity sucks
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2011
534 Posts
I wound up placing my x-gear directly behind the motor, then battery (a 1300mAh) and as much electronics as I could as far forward as I could. I'm still tail heavy but it flies ok with a bit trim.

I'm not practiced enough yet for inverted flight but I'm not sure my balance is good enough for that yet either.
newTOpro is online now Find More Posts by newTOpro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Shop!!
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:33 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santley View Post
Having a problem balancing my SSX. I am way off on the measured balance points. I only get a balance on spar with 7 1/8 from the motor mount to front of wing and 9 from trailing edge to front of tail mount. Only running a 1300 mAh battery a light radio gear. Any ideals on what I can check?
I like my CG 3/4" - 1" back from the spar. CG is never on the spar. I recommend adding weight rather than shortening the tail by moving the wing back. Shortening the tail makes the plane pitch sensitive. What covering did you use?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,063 Posts
I can do it at balancing to 1 inch behind spar. I was looking at the PDF on page 107, Dec 5. It shows the CG behind the spar. problem is Im not a custom to being able to move the wing and tail to adjust the cg. Moving the fulcrum and weight adds a lot of variables for thr seesaw. I have it all wrong. Im going to move the wing back to 5.75 from front of motor mount and start over and shoot for .75 behind spar.
21st century on the covering. Only used Monocote on all my glow planes, much harder to work with the 21st century. Try something different next time.
Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:14 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santley View Post
I can do it at balancing to 1 inch behind spar. I was looking at the PDF on page 107, Dec 5. It shows the CG behind the spar. problem is Im not a custom to being able to move the wing and tail to adjust the cg. Moving the fulcrum and weight adds a lot of variables for thr seesaw. I have it all wrong. Im going to move the wing back to 5.75 from front of motor mount and start over and shoot for .75 behind spar.
21st century on the covering. Only used Monocote on all my glow planes, much harder to work with the 21st century. Try something different next time.
Thanks for the help.
I like the Oralite. Sold in the US as Ultracote Lite and Ultracote park lite.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:37 PM
115 inches of 'hog
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
21st Century Painted Fabric covering? If so, that's about the heaviest covering around..
ScaleBrad is offline Find More Posts by ScaleBrad
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:59 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleBrad View Post
21st Century Painted Fabric covering? If so, that's about the heaviest covering around..
Hey Brad. Good to hear from you. 21st also makes a lite covering.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,063 Posts
Got time tonight to finish the SSX. Good weather tomorrow WE FLY!
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:11 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
Just bought me a SSX ....the Foam SS was the first plane I flew when I started flying (I have some great videos..) I've had many trainers over the last 3 yrs. and still fly most of them....I wanted a plane to get into building ,so the SSX seems like the choice since I've flown the foamy before
planesilver is offline Find More Posts by planesilver
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:24 PM
Pacific Northwest US
Joined Nov 2008
40 Posts
SSX Float Plane

SSX with Hobbyzone Super Cub floats, rudder tail gear, two X gear, 250watt motor and 1800mah Lipo. 1/4 inch (about 1.5 degrees) positive incidence added to wing. The setup puts the step just about at the center of gravity. Taxis, takes off and lands easily. Some down trim needed in level flight. Squats a bit with reduced throttle.
pwhavens is offline Find More Posts by pwhavens
Last edited by pwhavens; Jun 04, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:55 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhavens View Post
SSX with Hobbyzone Super Cub floats, rudder tail gear, two X gear, 250watt motor and 1800mah Lipo. 1/4 inch (about 1.5 degrees) positive incidence added to wing. The setup puts the step just about at the center of gravity. Taxis, takes off and lands easily. Some down trim needed in level flight. Squats a bit with reduced throttle.
Nice work, thanks for posting.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:39 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhavens View Post
Looks like the floats were a easy mount with two X-gear LG...Did you shorten any of the rear gear?
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:58 PM
Pacific Northwest US
Joined Nov 2008
40 Posts
I used the stock carbon struts as supplied. Only changed the wing incidence as suggested by several forum pundits elsewhere. I had to ream out one of the two smaller holes that run parallel to the wheel axle hole in the X gear to hold the float cross brace. I bent (offset) the cross brace slightly between the X gear (outside) and float so that both the axle screw and cross brace would fit into the slots provided on the float. Coincidentally, the axle screw fits into the float slot. I did not screw these in all the way thinking I'll switch them out with shorter fasteners of the same diameter and thread (I was in a hurry to get out to the lake).
pwhavens is offline Find More Posts by pwhavens
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:21 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
Recieved my SSX yesterday ....James Thanks , for the email about my zip code,finger studder on the keyboard or I need new glasses....Can't wait to build it....It may be awhile I have a eflite super cub build and a rebuild going on a tower hobbies P-51 right now ...when I get to it I'll post pictures..
This is just plane addictive.....I need a support group this one isn't helping....
Last edited by planesilver; Jun 08, 2012 at 03:27 PM.