Work it out and join us.

Steve
davidsons is offline Find More Posts by davidsons
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:37 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,714 Posts
I will be there, does the field still have the petromat strip?

Regards
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:16 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
USA, TX, San Angelo
Joined Mar 2006
688 Posts
where does everyone usually stay for this event? Are the motels close?

Thanks
aeronot is offline Find More Posts by aeronot
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:58 PM
Allen, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
3,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronot View Post

Thanks
About 15 minutes north in Huntsville. We are staying at the Days Inn but there are several in the same area. And if I'm not mistaken, there may be a new motel in New Waverly just off I-45 but don't get me to lyin. Huntsville has more restaurants though.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:12 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronot View Post

Thanks
There are typically 10-15 of us that camp out on the field.
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:16 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
USA, TX, San Angelo
Joined Mar 2006
688 Posts
Do they have bathrooms? I' m no Daniel Boone lol
aeronot is offline Find More Posts by aeronot
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:43 PM
Allen, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
3,520 Posts
Yes, they have a bathroom with a shower but no hookups for rv's so generator or the great outdoors.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:15 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,520 Posts
There is a pretty decent Best Western on I45 in Willis that I stay at when not camping at the field.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:47 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,878 Posts
Lee - good to meet you, Ron and Brad(?) yesterday at NWHRCC field, and thanks for letting me know about this event. We're due to move into our new house on Oct 11th so I won't have any planes to bring along, but will look forward to attending this event and checking out all the planes and pilots!

If you're interested I have a few videos of some of my planes (all electric):
custom X-wing, Stinger EDF and JPower P-38 at Bong RC field in WI
RC X-Wing, Stinger EDF, and JPower P-38 at Richard Bong RC Field WI [HD] (9 min 4 sec)

loooong video from a family houseboat vacation in KY this June
RC PBY Catalina on the Green River Lake in Kentucky [720p] (17 min 33 sec)

wintertime flying in Milwaukee
Wintertime RC flying March 2 2013 (0 min 57 sec)
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:53 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,878 Posts
Did anyone go yesterday? Was pretty rainy in NW Houston but today looks better...
I'm heading over in about 20 minutes, if anyone from NWHRCC or Bayou City Flyers is there I'm wearing bright red shorts, green golf shirt (my warbird Ts are all packed up until we move into our new house next month...) and if the sun comes out a green hat, say hi it would be cool to meet other Houston flyers!
Last edited by Kurt; Sep 21, 2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:00 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,878 Posts
Today I drove over to Bomberfield USA's annual B-17 day and got my first taste of Giant Scale RC planes.
Was a bit of a somber event since BB Weber, the field owner, club benefactor, and builder/flyer of giants like the B-29 and Tu95 hanging in his workshop, passed away last weekend from leukemia.

Nevertheless an impressive array of planes, their pilots and spectators braved soggy, overcast and ~15g30 conditions to celebrate what BB loved: big RC planes.

Highlights for me included a HUGE BAE Hawk gas turbine jet (45lbs of thrust) that made 5+ impressive flights, a BIG F4U Corsair with a 250cc Moki 5 cylinder radial, jet powered old timey bicycle, a grossly and gloriously overpowered 50% Cub doing low level aerobatics no Cub should ever do, sweet electric P-61 Black Widow, numerous bomb-dropping B-17s competing for best bomber, RC Tanks with IR(?) guns duking it out in a huge scale layout of a western european WWII battleground, and most of all a nice chat with Sam Snyder. 18 of Sam's scratchbuilt model planes reside in various museums around the country, including the Air&Space. He brought his newly completed Focke Wulf 189, which took 1950 hours to complete and features custom machined landing gear and wheels, rotating tail gun mount, and true to scale interior. Unfortunately the right gear collapsed on his maiden's landing yesterday, but only damage is a scratched wing tip and slightly ground-down gear door. Easy fix for Sam!

Of course now I'm dreaming of a giant scale P-38 Lightning to fly at next year's event....

More pics and a few videos here:
http://s180.photobucket.com/user/ked...?sort=6&page=1

Just 3 more weeks till my planes can be delivered to our new home, can't wait to fly again!!!!

Last edited by Kurt; Sep 21, 2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:45 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,878 Posts
oh yeah can anyone ID this plane? Was in the big hanger but didn't see any info on it:
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:10 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,748 Posts
Kurt,

I was also out there today. I'm in one of your photos with the large Corsair and F-15. Yea, that silly guy with the rubber boots that come up to my knees. I was videotaping several of the planes out there. We probably walked right by each other.

Glad you could make it out there. The weather was actually not bad after yesterday's rain. Hope we get to chat again in 2 weeks at BEST!

-Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:40 PM
No "R" !!!!!!!
Where Spacemen Live (TX)
Joined Jan 2000
1,086 Posts
Thanks for the pics.

The black plane is a XP-67 Bat/Moonbat late war experimental interceptor.

It was an experiment in laminar flow aerodynamics that resulted in it looking like an early stealth concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
oh yeah can anyone ID this plane? Was in the big hanger but didn't see any info on it:
Fitz Walker is offline Find More Posts by Fitz Walker
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:59 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,520 Posts
Nice report on Bomber Field. I was planning on going, but cancelled Thursday night after looking at the weather.

I think you ought go start a thread reporting on B-17 Gathering at Bomber Field and perhaps move these posts to that thread. Would be nice to keep this thread focused on the upcoming BEST event.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel