HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2013, 03:13 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,934 Posts
My heart is with you! I do hope you continue to post updates. I've been enjoying your work.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:41 AM
Sir Jasper
Christchurch - New Zealand
Joined Jan 2003
786 Posts
OK, time to cut some more Balsa again.
Done my last competition flying for this year so time to get my tail end sorted for next year and this project needs to be completed.
Have entered into BBCC 3 so no more excuses to not get this build completed!

Mark
zl3vml is online now Find More Posts by zl3vml
Old Dec 30, 2013, 01:14 AM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
786 Posts
Well. A last I can progress on this build again.

My main holdup (and disappointment) was not being able to find a suitable single cell ESC.
After much deliberation I opted to go for 2 cells but when I did my testing it became clear that cooling would be a big issue as the motor was getting really hot on 2 cells at only half throttle
So more hunting and Hobby King just got some nifty single cell ESC's in stock at long last

I immediately ordered two to test out and bingo! the motor runs great on one cell and staying cool all the way at full throttle.

Since I am back to my original idea of a single cell of 400mAh I opted on a separate cell for the rx & servo's so that I can get maximum juice from the motor battery for each flight and decided on one of the lightweight round cells and a voltage booster to provide 5v for the rx & servo's.

Initially I was skeptical about this setup but I and a number of club members have been using this arrangement quite successfully in our Tomboys this past season as a means of saving some weight.

Next job will be to do more testing with different size props and take some current & thrust measurements. Then I can work out where (and how) to mount the motor before completing the stringers on the other half of the fuselage.
(what I really need to determine is if I need to add more gearing)

Wait for my next update - I have a cunning idea to drive the prop via rubber from the motor drive gear...

Mark
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:29 PM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
786 Posts
Finally found the time to do a lot of testing with the motor on the test stand and different props. Tested a whole range of props and the 8x4 & 9x4 gave the best and basically similar results, so will probably go for the 8x4, just because I have a box full of them.

I also tried a second gearbox inline and various bigger props but the results were disappointing, too much friction & loss so will stick with this setup for now.

I will use a rubber link between the motor & prop and testing has shown this to work pretty good so far.....

Decided to move the servo's around a bit and stuck the elevator one out the side so that both can be setup for closed loop linkages for weight saving. So, now I can finish up the rear section and do some covering after which I should get a pretty good idea of how my weight and balancing will look.

First event for this class is in a couple of weeks so will have to rely on my trusty old Sparky for entry into that one, but it gives me some urgency to get this project completed now.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 08:30 AM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,234 Posts
Now THAT is a fuselage....semi-elliptical-rounded keel-inverted arrowhead with a coefficient of swoopiness close to infinity. I'd hafta change my med's !
It's beautiful
Old_Pilot is online now Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 24" Hellberg Mig-29 Maiden 2.0
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:54 PM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
786 Posts
Thanks OP :-)

Found out that everytime I ran the motor the rubber would wind up, then throw out in an arc and rap on the sides and vibrate so played around a bit more, found that using a bunch (10) of thinner bands and sticking them inside a thin plastic tube "seemed" to cure the problem.
I have finished up the tail end as well and started with the Mylar on the main wing.

Progress is slow due to so many other distractions.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:39 PM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
786 Posts
Progress has been slow - been distracted by numerous other projects and model, engines etc.
Started the covering with Mylar, need to post a few more photos soon.
Not going to roll this over again, I need to finish it up soon.
Mark