HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:28 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
ChrisH, you think this would be an option worth testing in your rear insert mod if I try to do it? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...nsert-Set-Soft
John they are pretty much what I have been using in combination with the front tyre inside the rear. They are a soft foam though. The harder foams work better. Like TJ said, 1/5 hip inserts look about the right size without having to glue them and use a front tyre. Will look into them. The truggy foam feels almost like the std one to feel by hand in the tyre. Hope it works at least as well but lasts longer.
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Tyre Thoughts
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:52 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,763 Posts
Price goes up quite a bit when looking at the 1/5 foams. I was looking at this during shopping spree but didnt have wheel measurements so I passed. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oft-190x60mm-2
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:00 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Price goes up quite a bit when looking at the 1/5 foams. I was looking at this during shopping spree but didnt have wheel measurements so I passed. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oft-190x60mm-2
Although dearer, you could maybe make two up out of them and also get a lot more life than the std insert so could still be ok value. I'll get one to try maybe and let you know how it goes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:22 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,644 Posts
Here's the first test run of the truggy insert. Seemed to feel very similar to the std one in most ways but didn't have as much roll ( slightly firmer ). Still worked ok on the dirt but I prefer a softer feeling insert to reduce the deflection off the rock ( in some places the track is like a dry rocky creek bed for real bikes ) and bumps in places on the track. The grip level seemed pretty good and the bike was just as predictable as with the std one. What I did notice was when I went wide onto the grass, because of the firmer feel the bike turned really well at speed. I think this would be a great grass or really grippy track tyre setup. I'll have to wait for that rain TJ ha ha. Time will tell if this material lasts longer than the Atomik one.
MM450 truggy insert test (2 min 10 sec)

Here's a pic of what the tyres have to cope with .
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/newat...anageattach&p=
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:11 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,644 Posts
And one more for good measure
The big rock in the pic is about 1 inch high by 2 inches wide. These rocks are all through this area of the track.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:43 AM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
And one more for good measure
The big rock in the pic is about 1 inch high by 2 inches wide. These rocks are all through this area of the track.
Scale that up to full scale bikes = bent rims and broken bones!
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:37 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDave View Post
Scale that up to full scale bikes = bent rims and broken bones!
Exactly Dave that's pretty rough terrain for a MX track lol. I have broken a few rims on the big rocks hanging out of the ground. No broken bones for Deegan though lol. Also the rock may help pulverise the std foams to dust.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:50 PM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Exactly Dave that's pretty rough terrain for a MX track lol. I have broken a few rims on the big rocks hanging out of the ground. No broken bones for Deegan though lol. Also the rock may help pulverise the std foams to dust.
No doubt!
Talking about rocks-
I should tell you about the two major incidents I have experienced with big rocks in my dirt bike racing and riding career. They easily could have been "near misses" but they weren't. lol Can't do it now because it would take me an hour as slow as I type! maybe later tho'
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Last edited by TopDave; Nov 29, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:19 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDave View Post
No doubt!
Talking about rocks-
I should tell you about the two major incidents I have experienced with big rocks in my dirt bike racing and riding career. They easily could have been "near misses" but they weren't. lol Can't do it now because it would take me an hour as slow as I type! maybe later tho'
Tell me about it Dave, the worst thing is when you are behind someone and can't see the rocks for the dust.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:34 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,343 Posts
Truggy tires and foam inserts are as close as it gets to the size of the VMX rear wheel.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:49 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,791 Posts
1/5 hpi baja insert looks closer.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Mar 2007
29 Posts
nice find tj,thank you for posting picture.they look real close.
up on 1 is offline Find More Posts by up on 1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:36 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
1/5 hpi baja insert looks closer.
Looks pretty good TJ. How wide are they? Could you cut them down the centre to make two?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:07 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Quote:
I think this would be a great grass or really grippy track tyre setup.
The ''glaswegian insert'' on the M5 seems to do very well on grass with an even and smooth surface.I'll bet any Arx450 owner will concur. As Gartenzweg was speculating about hard inserts being the best way on road, so I suspect nice flat grassed ground (eg Millenium Stadium, Cardiff) would be best with a rock hard insert.

The problem of course is all the little stones, that scaled up, become huge monsters! That's where this thread belongs. Finding what works in less than Savile Row Pressed surfaces.
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:42 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bradbury View Post
The ''glaswegian insert'' on the M5 seems to do very well on grass with an even and smooth surface.I'll bet any Arx450 owner will concur. As Gartenzweg was speculating about hard inserts being the best way on road, so I suspect nice flat grassed ground (eg Millenium Stadium, Cardiff) would be best with a rock hard insert.

The problem of course is all the little stones, that scaled up, become huge monsters! That's where this thread belongs. Finding what works in less than Savile Row Pressed surfaces.

The truggy insert is not rock hard by any stretch. It is however slightly stiffer and more resistant to roll than the std insert. This is why I say it would be best suited to higher traction conditions. It still handles bumps and rocks quite well, I just prefer a slightly softer feel. I'll keep searching and maybe try a HPI one next.
RCG Plus Member