Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:43 PM
Neal
Christchurch, NZ
Joined Nov 2004
154 Posts
Discussion
Futaba S.Bus in 6m glider

Hi there

I want to use the S.Bus servos and wiring, but I don't see any extension cables longer than 1m. To get from the elevator to the Rx alone is 2.2m.

What are my options? Can I simply chain them together? Can I make my own cables? Is there a thrid party cable option?

Thanks, Neal
HotAir2 is offline Find More Posts by HotAir2
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:51 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAir2 View Post
Hi there

I want to use the S.Bus servos and wiring, but I don't see any extension cables longer than 1m. To get from the elevator to the Rx alone is 2.2m.

What are my options? Can I simply chain them together? Can I make my own cables? Is there a thrid party cable option?

Thanks, Neal
Neal

is your question real
People who fly big scalies mostly know how to solder their own servo wiring.

Cheers
Thomas
wakumann is offline Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:58 PM
Neal
Christchurch, NZ
Joined Nov 2004
154 Posts
Heehee, fair enough. I currently fly a scratch built 5m and custom made all my wiring loom, soldered every little connection.

HowNotToLand5mScale (1 min 43 sec)

Is the S.Bus wiring the same? Are they just standard plugs and cables?

Is there a wire length limit? I can't find much info/specifications.

If I interpret your answer correctly, then all I need to do is make my own standard servo cables, and buy some of their 4 way hubs.

Thanks, Neal
HotAir2 is offline Find More Posts by HotAir2
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:29 PM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
There is no magic to the S.Bus wiring. The fewer the connections the better so I would recommend making up your own leads if that's something you are comfortable in doing. For a 2+ meter run you will want to consider a heavier than standard wire gauge and a battery system large enough to handle the loads.

One advantage to S.Bus is that a battery can be inserted anywhere along the wiring. This means you could add at battery closer to the servos in the tail of your sailplane, if you have access to that area and the weight would not be prohibitive.

Steve
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:28 PM
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2009
165 Posts
HotAir2:
You can daisy chain the extensions together. If you decide to make your own remember that the power wires for SBus are 18 Gauge.
Third party cables are available from Robbi and Emcotec. The longest is 1M. You can order from John at HKM USA.
Mac
Mac37 is offline Find More Posts by Mac37
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:31 PM
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2009
165 Posts
Here is a link.

http://shop.rc-electronic.com/e-vend...&c=2406&p=2406
Mac37 is offline Find More Posts by Mac37
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:32 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAir2 View Post
Hi there

Thanks, Neal
Been wondering the same myself Neal.
An additional consideration for me was the viability to use both S.Bus and non-S.Bus servos.
It appears that you either pay for the difference in servo costs or the adapters required to operate standard servos.
Quote:
There is no magic to the S.Bus wiring. The fewer the connections the better so I would recommend making up your own leads if that's something you are comfortable in doing. For a 2+ meter run you will want to consider a heavier than standard wire gauge and a battery system large enough to handle the loads.
Steve,do you have any documentation to go with your information?
The wire gage issue is simple enough but data systems can have specific requirements for EOL (end of line) resistors,wire grade (strands & shields),and even connectors to avoid 'harmonic reflections',drops in signal level and plain old voltage and or capacitance issues. Any or all of which could be disastrous to an airborne model.
Thanks for any info.
Skies
Jay
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:28 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,438 Posts
Ouch on the landing...

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson