HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2014, 08:36 PM
Joined Sep 2014
4 Posts
Flying from grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Here is one way to go about it. Picture included. I did it to all three of my Edge 540s.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4225
Thanks. Looks simple to do. I may also try the CF tail skid,
NHFlier is offline Find More Posts by NHFlier
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2014, 05:43 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
Mine just has a CF skid in place of the tailwheel...
That'll work!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Sep 12, 2014, 01:07 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Here is one way to go about it. Picture included. I did it to all three of my Edge 540s.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4225
that's what I did to mine, my post was in Inverza thread
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Sep 16, 2014, 04:27 AM
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Oct 2010
170 Posts
been flying mine a lot lately. it is a truly great flying plane. it can do rolling loops , rolling circuits and knife edge with ease. and it has really good vertical performance. i havnt come close to crashing in about 50 flights as it just flys so well. but one thing i can't do however much i try is flat spins. its just too tip stally and not floaty enough. are they even possible on this plane as id love to do them. i have done knife edge spin a couple of times though so its not that the plane isnt capable of the harder stuff. is it just technique? i cant do them on my beast umx either
Anomalous is offline Find More Posts by Anomalous
Old Sep 16, 2014, 09:01 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomalous View Post
been flying mine a lot lately. it is a truly great flying plane. it can do rolling loops , rolling circuits and knife edge with ease. and it has really good vertical performance. i havnt come close to crashing in about 50 flights as it just flys so well. but one thing i can't do however much i try is flat spins. its just too tip stally and not floaty enough. are they even possible on this plane as id love to do them. i have done knife edge spin a couple of times though so its not that the plane isnt capable of the harder stuff. is it just technique? i cant do them on my beast umx either
Mine will inverted flat spin like a dream. Full down elevator, full right rudder, a little left aileron, and adjust throttle to keep her level. It took me quite a few attempts to figure it out but once you do it's pretty easy. It acutally took me a lot longer to figure out the knife edge spin.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Sep 16, 2014, 01:41 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,625 Posts
Mine seems to have gotten weaker lately. Cruises around fine but if I ask anything of it, it just sorta grunts and tries but never quite pulls anything off. Motor? ESC? Saggy old batts??
AeroRecon is online now Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Sep 16, 2014, 02:37 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,159 Posts
Batteries. Brushless motors don't gradually wear out like the brushed ones do. When they quit, they are quit. not weaker, but simply inoperable.

ESCs tend to not wear out, since they have no moving parts.

Batteries do wear out, and it happened to me before. After a while the internal resistance builds up, packs get puffy, and stop holding as much charge. A new battery from HK will do you fine. I recommend the zippy compact 500mah 3s, that is what I have now. But there are many batteries that will work fine.
Waffleman is online now Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Sep 16, 2014, 04:31 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
Batteries. Brushless motors don't gradually wear out like the brushed ones do. When they quit, they are quit. not weaker, but simply inoperable.

ESCs tend to not wear out, since they have no moving parts.

Batteries do wear out, and it happened to me before. After a while the internal resistance builds up, packs get puffy, and stop holding as much charge. A new battery from HK will do you fine. I recommend the zippy compact 500mah 3s, that is what I have now. But there are many batteries that will work fine.
Ha. Good point. Got me thinking. I share the same few 3s 400-450s with a 3D Yak foamy....and it was struggling last time I flew it. That it had ESC issues, too.

Duh....better batts. Gonna place an order tomorrow.

Thanks!
AeroRecon is online now Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Sep 16, 2014, 08:31 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRecon View Post
Ha. Good point. Got me thinking. I share the same few 3s 400-450s with a 3D Yak foamy....and it was struggling last time I flew it. That it had ESC issues, too.

Duh....better batts. Gonna place an order tomorrow.

Thanks!
The HK East warehouse shows to have the Zippy Compacts in stock but........BuddyRC shows to have their 3s 450 mah Glacier batteries in stock too. The Glacier batteries IMO are a better battery than the Zippy's and they are also cheaper. Don't get me wrong, I've got a ton of the Zippy Compacts in various sizes and have had no problems. In most cases they are considerably cheaper but the Glacier batteries I have are better quality.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Sep 17, 2014, 07:12 AM
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Oct 2010
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsheeMS View Post
Mine will inverted flat spin like a dream. Full down elevator, full right rudder, a little left aileron, and adjust throttle to keep her level. It took me quite a few attempts to figure it out but once you do it's pretty easy. It acutally took me a lot longer to figure out the knife edge spin.

great. i was expecting someone to say it wasnt possible. i cant wait to try it out now i know at least its theoretically doable. you must have quicker reactions /more skill than me because i dont come close so far.

about lipos, i use zippy compact 500mah from hk. seem very nice battery. i bought 5 and no problems so far. lots of power and no sign of puffage!

i fly pretty hard and set my timer for 5 minutes. it doesnt seem to be stressing them too much in this application
Old Sep 21, 2014, 04:36 AM
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Oct 2010
170 Posts
i hav just put sfg's on my edge to see what happens. has anyone else tried them. its a bit windy but i'll try and test today.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:19 AM
RC Aircraft Junkie
USA, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Sep 2004
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomalous View Post
i hav just put sfg's on my edge to see what happens. has anyone else tried them. its a bit windy but i'll try and test today.
What spinner and prop are you using?
jlk69 is offline Find More Posts by jlk69
Old Sep 21, 2014, 02:48 PM
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Oct 2010
170 Posts
prop is a 7035 and the spinner is from hobby king.

pretty certain its better at harriers now. seems to be less wing rocking at stall speeds. i dont like the look of them much though. nearly crashed today. plane got too low, and just as a floored it to escape crashing the landing gear got caught on the lumpy soil on the plowed field i was flying over and punched holes in the wing and both sides of the fuselage. it also smashed off one of the white landing gear covers. i wish the farmer would not plow field till the spring as lumpy soil is a bad surface to crash and horrible to walk on.
Last edited by Anomalous; Sep 21, 2014 at 02:57 PM.