SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Bryan's Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Bryan's Flyin
Last edited by Bryan's Flyin; Jan 27, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
The 3 links you posted don't work for me. If you want some cheaper SimonK ESCs, go here: http://www.myrcmart.com/esc-ubec-rcx...22_82_238.html The RCX ESCs are just as good as the RCTimers.

They probably have the RCX motors with the same specs as the RCTimer motors, too. RCX motors are also just as good and cheaper.

Best,
Chris
Ok, great. Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan's Flyin View Post
I am using these motors from MYRCMart on my Q450 and they are perfect for you. Cost $8.99 each and have never let me down, even after a really hard crash or 2. These esc's too.
http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-bc282613...ts-p-3992.html

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-20a-esc-...re-p-5513.html
Do you think this setup would provide enough lifting power to carry a gopro? Thanks for the advice.
SpidarX is offline Find More Posts by SpidarX
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:07 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Bryan's Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Bryan's Flyin
Last edited by Bryan's Flyin; Jan 27, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:41 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,379 Posts
Maximum size

Just for kicks and giggles...

Why do we not see 2 meter quads at this point? Is there a (physics) reason -- or is nobody that crazy yet.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan's Flyin View Post
It will easily carry your GoPro. I put my Hero2 on mine all the time and I'm using 10 x 4.7 props. You could go up to 11-12 inch props and get super lift! You can use 3S or 4S batteries too.
Great, thanks for the reply. I'm going to place my order for these motors.
SpidarX is offline Find More Posts by SpidarX
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:19 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Here is my Armattan quad.
kk2.0 board and new RCtimer HP motors (1300kv+8x4.5prop)

i suggest fullscreen and at least 720p
Destroying Armattan quad + testing new RCTimer HP motors (1 min 48 sec)
templton89 is offline Find More Posts by templton89
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:36 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by templton89 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3zHcQQngSI
Nice flying!!!!

I destroyed a frame after flying into the sun and then only seeing spots afterwards. The frame and one motor was toast but everything else survived.

Jim
Jim Frahm is offline Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:28 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
I love my "transitions" glasses for flying.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by templton89 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3zHcQQngSI
Cool video. Awesome flying. BAD advertising. You're fired.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Cool video. Awesome flying. BAD advertising. You're fired.

Best,
Chris
haha it's good advertising! the only thing I had to replace was an arm, KK2.0 survived, center plate didn't bend. And I'm reeeeally smashing it into the ground, to a point where I have to dig it out and clean out dirt with a screwdriver
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,689 Posts
I know, I know. The beginning of the movie is excellent advertisement when you show a bunch of ground slams one after the other. I love how you have it all synced with the music. I have some video editing learning to do, that's for sure.

You really should be posting videos more often. Between the awesome flying skills and the crafty video editing, it sure is some good watching.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Apr 2012
69 Posts
So does anyone actually do thrust tests? Or when people quote thrust are they just citing what the motors should be good for according to the marketing?

I finished & maidened my scratchbuilt quad... Then proceeded to do a (brief) thrust test (running inverted on a tared scale)... which burned out 2 of the 4 escs in a skywalker quattro (4x20A).

This was with 8045 props on RCX A2822-12 1800KV motors and the mentioned 20A esc.

Actually the test ended normally... I didn't know I had damaged anything until 2 of the 4 motors (opposite of each other) were giving off a low tone once armed when I tried to start it back up a few minutes later. The 'dead' escs aren't even completely dead -- they let me go through the programming & throttle calibration steps normally.

ECalc estimates that combination should draw as much as ~22Amps at WOT. The quattro's supposed to be good for 24A ~10s bursts... and though I approached WOT slowly, I know I didn't spend 10 seconds there.

When my replacement 4in1 esc + parts arrive I'm going to rebuild with 1450kv motors instead... hopefully I wont be giving up too much thrust. My first build came in a little heavier than I had hoped with ~950g AUW and ~2.5kg measured thrust.

Should I avoid retesting thrust once I've rebuilt?
ymboc is offline Find More Posts by ymboc
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:09 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-a282212-...ts-p-3994.html

The closest I could come up with in ecalc quickly was rctimer 2822-12 @ 1800kv and adjusted the W to 180.

It looks like the motors should be run on 7x3 @ 3s or 8x4.5 @ 2s only and running 8x4.5 @ 3s puts them well over their limit. It could be worse depending on what shape props you are using.

EDIT: also setting ecalc to a full 3s battery reads out over 24A and 240W for WOT when using 8x4.5's with the 1800vK motor. You pushed it to the limit and it appears to have pushed back, I'm surprised you didn't do damage to the motors.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Last edited by brontide; Dec 12, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Also keep in mind the nature of slowly (SF) and direct drive (DD) propellers.

8x4.5 is most likely a SF prop, maybe gemfan/turnigy/rctimer and these are designed to create more drag and reduce rpm, sometimes at cost of higher amp draw. I've used 8x4.5 sf props on 2200kv motor that is really meant for 6" props without ever damaging them but I was being very careful. However that was my most inefficient quad with 2-3min flight times
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
69 Posts
Here's my ECalc Link for my build with the 1800kv motors for Comparison. Unfortunately I can't get it to generate a link with a custom motor (W adjusted to 180)

I had decided to go with the 1800kv motors (despite them being close to the ecalc limits) having seen a couple (or one?) successful bobepine/armattan builds using them and thinking I was within the 'burst' allowance for the components... he's even used the 2600kv version but perhaps bobepine had the presence of mind to never run them up to full throttle.

I tested all the motors on the remaining 2 'good' escs and everything seemed to be fine. Nevertheless I have 4 new 1450kv motors and a replacement quattro esc on the way. Rebuild ECalc Link here -- adjust W to 160)

I'm just kind of up in the air if I'll ever try these 1800kv motors again and if so with what prop/esc selection... and whether I should be doing any thrust testing at all. (?)

I'll have to review my notes for the weight of all my components (I weighed everything as I went) as well and see where I can recoup the most mass for future revisions.

Edit: I don't know what's going on with those ECalc links... make the same selections manually I get 146 Motor Watts @ WOT. Clicking the Link its stuck at 166W and says it wont hover!.
ymboc is offline Find More Posts by ymboc
Last edited by ymboc; Dec 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Edited ECalc Links... but they're still not generating the correct figures!