HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:49 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,246 Posts
Greg, I remember you when you used to write with us at R/C Report....and I noticed you have started a monthly column in MAN - GOOD GOING!
Jerry Festa
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:58 PM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
767 Posts
Hi Jerry, I'm suddenly reminded why your name was so familiar when I saw it earlier :-) I've been doing the AMA column for 7 yrs now along with the PP column, but have given that one up so I can do the MA and MAN columns. Don Belfort took over my column in PP while also doing his FM column.

Columns come and go depending on what the consultants tell the publishers :-) MA has been a good home for me and I'll stay there til they kick me to the curb :-)

Greg
Greg Gimlick is offline Find More Posts by Greg Gimlick
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:18 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,246 Posts
Well two of my 'publishers' have gone belly up, so I don't think I'm a good luck charm

I wonder what Gordon is doing these days....I see Dick Pettit is writing for the IMAA mag; I've lost touch with other writers except Mike Lee.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:58 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ham View Post
Nice flying and nice video Miketre Gotta get mine in the air again soon (when it gets warmer). Have only flown funfighters and my Vampire lately and the P-47 seems so nice, big, and slow compared to the funfighters
Thanks Ham. I've been resisting the durafly vampire all this while, but the lack of rudders has been holding me back. I'm tempted again now, as I can re-use the same batteries that I have in my P-47. I'm using 2x 4S 2200mah in parallel and a 3S 1000mah for the UBEC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gimlick View Post
I'm using two 4S 5000 mah packs in parallel to get it to balance at the 95mm point.
Greg
Greg, wow! That's 2 times the batteries of mine. I need to re-check my CG.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:23 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
My CG is at 96mm. Here's a picture of where I placed my batteries. I don't have any bigger batteries, so my lighter batts got to be in a place where they are not designed to be.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:26 AM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
310 Posts
MikeTre, I love your video! Great landings in that tricky landing area, very nice. Super editing, I love watching the take offs & landings with scale warbirds. She really floats with those 2x 2200s. Thank for posting. Where do you live?

Greg
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:10 AM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
Well two of my 'publishers' have gone belly up, so I don't think I'm a good luck charm
I just get fired a lot :-) Well, not really, but the consultants advised ending columns at MAN the last time I wrote for them. A few years later they cycle back around.

Quote:
I wonder what Gordon is doing these days....I see Dick Pettit is writing for the IMAA mag; I've lost touch with other writers except Mike Lee.
Dick flys at my field so I see him quite often, I dont have a clue about any of the others.

Greg
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:13 AM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
My CG is at 96mm. Here's a picture of where I placed my batteries. I don't have any bigger batteries, so my lighter batts got to be in a place where they are not designed to be.
CG sounds good. My two 5000mah 4S packs sit on the shelf side by side and all the way forward. I think mine is right at 95mm now, I'll have to check again when I get home. It's in the sweet spot right now.

Greg
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:36 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMaster39 View Post
MikeTre, I love your video! Great landings in that tricky landing area, very nice. Super editing, I love watching the take offs & landings with scale warbirds. She really floats with those 2x 2200s. Thank for posting. Where do you live?

Greg
Thanks Greg. I'm in Singapore.
I should have more footage next week. my flying buddies will turn up with warbirds with landing gears. Should be fun.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:30 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,246 Posts
I guess I will have to add a lot of dead weight to get that CG up to 95 mm....I flew it at 115 - no wonder it didn't like flaps
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:29 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,246 Posts
Flew 4 flights today - with the CG at 95mm....that is a whole new plane And yes, I can use full flaps on landings - which are very slow to boot! Thanks Greg..............
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:53 PM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
767 Posts
Great news Jerry, glad to hear the flights went well. I can't imagine flying it at 115, that just shows how good you are :-)

I'm probably going to change the wheels to 4" and open up the wells a bit for them. I think it will make it better on the grass when it starts growing again.

Now on to the next project.......a 97 inch AgWagon

Greg
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:00 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,246 Posts
Right LG weak

Greg, one of my landing gears seem weak....do you know of any replacements?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:05 PM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
767 Posts
I haven't looked into any replacements, so far mine are okay. It seems that somewhere back in this mega thread there was some mention of some guys changing gear, but I don't remember what they used. I would think the eFlite electric retracts would be an easy swap, but I don't know if they're any stronger.

Greg
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:09 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,246 Posts
Thanks, I'll try to find those posts....and say "Hi" to Dick Pettit when you see him again for me.

Jerry
RCG Plus Member