HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:35 PM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Discussion
Need help recovering FPV plane near Denver, CO - Plane recovered!

I lost my plane while flying around the hills in Golden, CO. I've spent 3 days out there looking for it with no luck and wanted to recruit some help for the search.

This is my first and only FPV plane and without it I won't be flying for a long time, certainly I won't be able to make the Colorado FPV meet in July!

If there's anyone who'd like to lend their plane and their thumbs to the effort I would be very appreciative! I can offer payment in the form of a case of your choice of beer and some good scenery to fly over!

Please let me know if you are interested and I will coordinate more details with you.

Here is the vid of my loss:
Losing my FPV Plane - Spektrum Lockout (1 min 20 sec)

And here is footage from before:
The Last Video from my Floater Jet (3 min 44 sec)
Vitamin_J is offline Find More Posts by Vitamin_J
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:57 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,505 Posts
I hope you find it man, If I lived around there I would do a few search and rescue runs for you with my Swift.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:14 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,389 Posts
Wow, it shouldn't be that hard given the nice landmarks.... but I know that's easier said than done.

I'd use those landmarks like the very noticeable rock formation sticking up you just past. By the roll it doesn't look like it was going much past where it started the roll, so if you can get to that area below the ridge and past the rocks it should be there... unless someone else found it first.

Did you have any contact info on the plane? I assume there was no GPS tracking.

Edit:

Looking again it seems to be to the left of your launch angle... if that's you on the ridge then you're above it and should be able to look down over the section you lost it in. If you post a Google GPS of the spot and drop a green pin where you launched I can show you where I think it would be based on the last video. Maybe that's a different search area than you were looking? If you're worried about posting it here publicly you could PM me the spot and I'll tell you my thoughts. I'm out here in California so no worries on me hiking out to take it.

-D
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Last edited by CaliDave; Jun 08, 2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 03:40 PM
VaZ
TheFlyer_PT
Portugal
Joined Feb 2011
611 Posts
I really hope you find your plane. I have seem some post of people who lost their plane, and I wonder, in the region where you usually fly, do you have GSM coverage?
Because if so, you could put one of these GPS trackers on your airplane.

I have it on my skywalker, vtx on a wingtip, this gps tracker on the other. +5gr on the vtx side and the wing is perfectly balanced. If I loose the plane, I just need to make a call to GPS tracker. It then rejects my call and sends me an sms with the actual coordinates. Already lost it, and found it in minutes with that tracker.

Cheers,
Vaz.
VaZ is offline Find More Posts by VaZ
Old Jun 09, 2011, 04:33 AM
Joined Nov 2010
16 Posts
Bump.
NJ_Quack is offline Find More Posts by NJ_Quack
Old Jun 09, 2011, 08:05 AM
United States, NV, Rachel
Joined Dec 2008
1,193 Posts
that sucks man. Any idea what happened?
alexedit is offline Find More Posts by alexedit
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2011, 09:14 AM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
^^I was cruising the cliff and got a little too comfortable and flew on the other side of the rock and lost the RC link.

Dave, yeah that's what I thought at first too. Unfortunately it's on the side of a mesa so it's steep and rocky. The bushes are dense and impossible to look through from above or below. At this point I think it flew up onto the ledge just under the top of the ridge, at least I've looked everywhere else. I tried climbing up there yesterday but I was scared I'd kill myself and gave up. Shouted to some local rock climbers but they didn't see anything.

A flyover with another FPV plane would be extremely helpful for that ledge.

Vaz, I'll probably buy one of those things when I get back in the air.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 11:07 AM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,389 Posts
Man sorry to hear... yeah, some areas look a lot easier to traverse than they do on the ground.

Did you have any contact info on the plane?
Old Jun 09, 2011, 12:01 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,390 Posts
Can you show me a Google map of exactly where this happened? I have a plane we can use for a search, but I need to fly it "normal style"
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jun 09, 2011, 12:12 PM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Here's the coordinates to copy into google maps:
39.775503, -105.224766

No contact info on the plane, I was thinking about it on the drive there actually...

e: I just realized I have an old GoPro camera, not HD but it's still pretty good. We could strap that to the bottom of another plane for some better downward facing footage and watch it on a laptop.
Last edited by Vitamin_J; Jun 09, 2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 12:51 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,517 Posts
I'd take a look but I'm going to be out of town for several days starting
this afternoon. I'd suggest looking for it from the top with binocs. My guess is
it's much closer to the base of the cliff higher up the slope than the
neighborhoods below.

For whatever it's worth, power planes are not allowed up there. That's not
to say I haven't overflown remote parts Jeffco Open Space but you'd
attract a lot of attention right there. We've done some slope soaring there
but usually better places to fly west winds.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2011, 01:04 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,390 Posts
I'm sure I could get away with it for a while, but yeah, that area is pretty busy isn't it? I would imagine somebody probably recovered your plane already and that's why you can't find it.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jun 09, 2011, 01:07 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,389 Posts
Search Thoughts

Here is a quick search projection I did based on the video landmarks, and when you lost video. I'm guessing near the bottom part of the orange circle in the pic. I would try to come up the hill from the houses rather than down the cliffs above. I'm not convinced it's on the ridge itself based on the spiral down. You may have had the same conclusion but maybe it could help:

Old Jun 09, 2011, 01:37 PM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Yeah I know it's against the Jeffco rules, $60 fine and I'll pay it for anyone who helps me. I was driving around looking for a spot and that place looked too cool. It's actually pretty quiet. Even Sunday morning there weren't very many people. The area I'm looking is pretty vacant, just the lone jogger or biker going by on the trail. Mostly they don't even notice me walking around up there.

It may have been picked up but I doubt it, unless it was blown up onto the top of the cliff.

Dave, I've searched that entire area except for on top of the ledge, I tried climbing up there yesterday and turned around after scaring myself, but if I knew my plane was up there I could definitely get it.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 01:52 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin_J View Post
... but if I knew my plane was up there I could definitely get it.
Don't risk life or limb for a plane, it is not worth it, I'd rather send you a fully kitted plane than hearing you died in an attempt to retrieve it.

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)