HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2014, 08:43 AM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
1,669 Posts
Well it looks like you tried everything, another option is taking pics of your bird and posting it here.
nom is online now Find More Posts by nom
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:38 AM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenDrumstick View Post
Yep, brand new LiPo's, 5 or 6 packs, 2S and 3S 370-500mAh. I've been throwing it as hard I can (and less so, trying to figure it out).
I've had a couple of F-18's and man they were a handful, always needed speed to do anything or they would fall out of the sky. I found out quickly that nano-tech 3s 370mAh 25c just didn't cut it for the power needed after a few flights. What is the c rating of ur lipos?

For mine, speed was the key, always needed speed or it would just wing tip stall and fall out of the sky.

Here was an old vid 2 years ago where winds were like 5-8mph and really helped the launch, I recall I was only successful on 3 outta 4 hand launches. Sucker is TINY to film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXkkhZML6n8

queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Last edited by queadlunnrau; Sep 22, 2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:50 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
844 Posts
370mah's should be enough on 2s, these fans (with 5 blade rotor) draw only 4.7A on 2s.
the 2s 370s are a bit heavy at 27g, the 300mah 2s Nanos are only 16g.
In the Mig 15 and F86 they only produce 50g thrust on 2s so if your AUW is around 100g or more thats a bit low thrust to weight.
The Mig 15 also needs full throttle most of the time otherwise it will stall, it has a very low wing area 2.7dm2, F-18 has only a tiny bit more area at 3.2dm2.

These fans really come alive on 2s in short ducted airframes like Mig 29 and F-15, they can produce up to 75g thrust each.
green_flyer is online now Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Sep 22, 2014, 01:00 PM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
1,669 Posts
I have to fly my Mig 15 at WOT to keep it up in the air, anything less and it would stall. I still have a F-15 airframe that I need to work on but I find it hard to spend $60 on some motors/edfs when I have other projects.
nom is online now Find More Posts by nom
Old Sep 22, 2014, 03:20 PM
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
844 Posts
I need some of those motors too, such a shame they are so expensive and hard to get.
I really want to finish either the F-15 or the Mig 29, several people on here showed videos that they are good flyers and floaters, much better than Mig 15.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 09:21 PM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
United States, NC, Oak Island
Joined Jan 2013
806 Posts
My F-15 flies like a well behaved 50mm jet. Always a joy to fly and fantastic performance. Gets small fast...
Motors and fans are getting scarce! Taking care of the ones I have...if you can get them to fly right, with the ideal setup...and the airframes aren't too twisted...they are a blast. Running all of mine on 3S NT 460mAh 25-40C. Two in parallel in the F-15. Thrust tubes IMO, make these birds fly great. Most intakes and exhausts are less than ideal...thrust tubes help a TON for all the 35MM SA birds that I am flying(F-15, F-86, T-45), and a well balanced fan and motor is a must.
Cheers! Keep um' in the air!
abjets is offline Find More Posts by abjets
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Screamer 50MM SkyAngel Build
Old Sep 23, 2014, 04:08 AM
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
844 Posts
The modded Mig flies!
It actually seems a little bit better behaved.
Mig15 35mm with modified elevators (3 min 37 sec)
Old Sep 23, 2014, 05:44 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
I've had a couple of F-18's and man they were a handful, always needed speed to do anything or they would fall out of the sky. I found out quickly that nano-tech 3s 370mAh 25c just didn't cut it for the power needed after a few flights. What is the c rating of ur lipos?

For mine, speed was the key, always needed speed or it would just wing tip stall and fall out of the sky.

Here was an old vid 2 years ago where winds were like 5-8mph and really helped the launch, I recall I was only successful on 3 outta 4 hand launches. Sucker is TINY to film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXkkhZML6n8
Thanks. I think I've watched your vid before. Looks great and I wish mine would do that.

I feel as though I've launched mine very similar to how you launch yours, only my one either decides to tumble, or will glide maybe a car length and then come down slightly nose first. Whether at full throttle, 20, 50 or 80%. I've even tried throwing it with no throttle then going wide open.

Batteries all have an ok C rating. Can't recall what exactly, but I think 20 or 25C on the 500mAh and higher on the lower mAh packs. All should be able to deliver the amps though.

Also this is on 3S. And I know people have flown these on the stock 2S setup, so it should have plenty of power I'd have thought.
ChickenDrumstick is online now Find More Posts by ChickenDrumstick