HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:15 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Radian almost goes to The Federal Lockup

Here's a video for the exposure hunting and control crowd. I shot it at sunset the other night.

I've been dabbling in FPV so I had that on and recording when I decided to launch and try to get some sunset shots with the HD keyfob.

The interferrence that I was referring to in the video is on the FPV video downlink, not the HD keyfob.

Enjoy

If you're interested in "the rest of the story" here it is

"When I was flying at sunset yesterday we were all on visual. I happened to glance at the LCD monitor and it was so dark that it was really displaying well. So I decided to stand there and fly by the monitor. Then the other 3 guys started watching the monitor also. Nobody had visual on the plane !!

Sure enough I got waaaay out and started a turn and the picture went away. I was panicked and started calling for my spotter to tell me where the f.....king plane was.

Nobody knew ! They were watching the monitor with me !!! So they asked me where I thought I was since the picture had come back on (barely).

Thru the static I saw THE lake so I knew I was SW of our position and headed AWAY. So I told them which direction to look (see attached picture ).

I continued my turn, they continued to look and then thru the static I could see the brick building of the school !!! I was saved, all I had to do was keep coming straight at the school and Iíd be home.

Except it had been the wrong lake and I was now aiming at the Prison thinking IT was the school.....Everyone was STILL looking SW for my plane and then I saw a MAJOR 4-lane road that I was flying above going north !!! Well I knew that was Kipling (please God, let it be Kipling) So I alerted everyone that HEY, I think Iím over Kipling which is EAST of us, not SW !!! Look EAST !!!

After an eternity (1 Ė 2 minutes) JeDoug spotted the Radian headed back towards us from over on the east side of the school. I had him point it out to me and then everything ended up cool.

Good thing, I didnít want to have to bail my Radian out of the slammer."

Radian Almost Goes to Prison (6 min 45 sec)
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:38 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfvn View Post
Unforunately the SD card wouldn't click in place, instead, it jumped out immediately.
Did you push it in as far as it can possibly go before releasing it? Some cameras have the card holder slightly out of best location and require pushing in the edge of the card with a finger nail past the edge of the case before the card latch will engage.

Interesting about no easy access inside your Jumbo case. There are three slightly different Jumbo case configurations... I wonder if they are all hard to open like yours?
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:21 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
Here's a video for the exposure hunting and control crowd. I shot it at sunset the other night.

I've been dabbling in FPV so I had that on and recording when I decided to launch and try to get some sunset shots with the HD keyfob.

The interferrence that I was referring to in the video is on the FPV video downlink, not the HD keyfob.

Enjoy

If you're interested in "the rest of the story" here it is

"When I was flying at sunset yesterday we were all on visual. I happened to glance at the LCD monitor and it was so dark that it was really displaying well. So I decided to stand there and fly by the monitor. Then the other 3 guys started watching the monitor also. Nobody had visual on the plane !!

Sure enough I got waaaay out and started a turn and the picture went away. I was panicked and started calling for my spotter to tell me where the f.....king plane was.

Nobody knew ! They were watching the monitor with me !!! So they asked me where I thought I was since the picture had come back on (barely).

Thru the static I saw THE lake so I knew I was SW of our position and headed AWAY. So I told them which direction to look (see attached picture ).

I continued my turn, they continued to look and then thru the static I could see the brick building of the school !!! I was saved, all I had to do was keep coming straight at the school and Iíd be home.

Except it had been the wrong lake and I was now aiming at the Prison thinking IT was the school.....Everyone was STILL looking SW for my plane and then I saw a MAJOR 4-lane road that I was flying above going north !!! Well I knew that was Kipling (please God, let it be Kipling) So I alerted everyone that HEY, I think Iím over Kipling which is EAST of us, not SW !!! Look EAST !!!

After an eternity (1 Ė 2 minutes) JeDoug spotted the Radian headed back towards us from over on the east side of the school. I had him point it out to me and then everything ended up cool.

Good thing, I didnít want to have to bail my Radian out of the slammer."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xTn65OJdo
Great Story! Great video too. Just got my #11 but it will be going on a SkySurfer so it may I may not get as stable a result. Until I get some gyros anyway.

Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:38 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucwendel View Post
Thank you guys for the fw2.
Here is a result of using a wide lens from DE.

Check out the feet of the dog while inverted :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWUArWZ5GIo
Is that done with a #11 Keyfob camera? Awesome!
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:15 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,203 Posts
Thanks Tom for all the good work you do here mate!

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Thanks Tom for all the good work you do here mate!

Kev
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:40 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I agree... there's a tiny micro-controller chip in side the case which might still have some moisture on it. I'd put the chip in a warm or sunny spot and let it sit for several days as mentioned. Then, re-format with the SD formatter utility.
Ok I'l retest the chip in a couple days..hard to format it if Windows doesn't see it.. I just hope the contacts hold up in the cam's micro SD slot and other things in it that are hard to get under and dry out (like the buttons) .. too,, but as for now it's still working..
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Ok I'l retest the chip in a couple days..hard to format it if Windows doesn't see it.. I just hope the contacts hold up in the cam's micro SD slot and other things in it that are hard to get under and dry out (like the buttons) .. too,, but as for now it's still working..
Yeah, the card will need to establish a proper handshake link with the computer to do anything with it. The camera's card slot looked pretty benign when I had mine open a few days ago to repair the card latch. There's nothing in there that water can damage (other than to short adjacent pins). In fact water can drain out of it since the cover is not attached to the base... just a slip fit. I think any moisture that could get inside the microSD card, can eventually evaporate and escape from it... keeping it in a ward spot to accelerate any recover if it's going to happen. Put it in your camera when you charge it... it gets quite warm in there!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:07 AM
Joined May 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Did you push it in as far as it can possibly go before releasing it? Some cameras have the card holder slightly out of best location and require pushing in the edge of the card with a finger nail past the edge of the case before the card latch will engage.
Might be.....but I used a paperclip to push it in as far as it would go but still wouldn't click.
But indeed, the jumbo has the SD card deeper in the casing.
wfvn is offline Find More Posts by wfvn
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:09 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
..... it gets quite warm in there!
Speak of the devil.. I'll be darned if it didn't come back to life too..
here is the before and after the 30 minute tumble in the top-loading washing machine benchmark.. video looks Ok but i should probably clean the lens later..

Stranger things happen with No 11.s but I'd say this has got to be one of the stranger ones..
JimS
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:11 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfvn View Post
Might be.....but I used a paperclip to push it in as far as it would go but still wouldn't click.
But indeed, the jumbo has the SD card deeper in the casing.
The other think i don't care for with the Jumbo is the LED .. especially when it's AMBER is harder to see thru what appears to be a smaller hole..
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:48 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Speak of the devil.. I'll be darned if it didn't come back to life too..
here is the before and after the 30 minute tumble in the top-loading washing machine benchmark.. video looks Ok but i should probably clean the lens later..

Stranger things happen with No 11.s but I'd say this has got to be one of the stranger ones..
JimS
There you go...good as new!!!

I completely submerged one of my JazzHDV178 camcorders on my Polaris seaplane when I flipped it in a not so clean water pond once. It was completely under water for about 15-20 minutes. There was no video on the SD card, but it still works fine. And I was pleasantly surprised that the camera worked fine the next day, and water did not get inside the multi-element lens. I was afraid it would have internal water marks that would blur the image, but it did not happen. A cleaning of the front and rear surfaces was all I did, and if possibly didn't even need that. I still use that camera today on some planes... it takes a much better 1280x720 HD video than the #11, and the video bit rate is only abour 4200 kbps.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:18 AM
Essex, United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2004
348 Posts
Hi Chaps,
Ive been testing my simple mount in various positions on my venerable T180 electric conversion and thought I'd share:

T180 over Shotgate Essex UK (3 min 41 sec)

My favourite is the under tail view which starts at 01:44
autoair is offline Find More Posts by autoair
Last edited by autoair; Jul 14, 2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:30 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Thumbs up on the under tail view.
Nice smooth flying too.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:53 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,203 Posts
Wow! Just love it. Both positions are great. It is so important to have the model in view.
The rear view suffers a bit from iris shutdown due to the sky.
With your front view you could swing the cam slightly more to the left to reduce the occasional affect from the sky also.

Serious question: how much would you charge us members to make those mounts? They are great

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Closed Thread