United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2008
170 Posts
Wing Servo Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat1960s View Post
/-snip-/ I'm trying to set up my wing. My choices are:
Wing: 1 servo 2 servo 2 Ail 1 Flap 2 Ail 2 Flap 4 Ail 2 Flap

I was thinking I should go with the 2 Ail 2 Flap, but both are connected to the RX with a Y-chord. Any suggestions?? Thank you in advance. Ted /-snip-/
If you stay with the Y cable setup as you stated above, then the most straightforward approach might be to select 2 Ail 1 flap. and connect Ail Y cable to Ail port (ignore aux port), Flap Y on (flap port)

IMO, if your Rx has enough channels to support a one channel per servo hook up then go with that, you will have much more flexibility to set up things like crow, etc.

Try this thread for more info: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2135397

Good Luck
crosstrim is offline Find More Posts by crosstrim
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mounting the Motor (part two)
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM
Life is good!
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Jul 2007
118 Posts
Crosstrim,

I will look into that.
My DX7 was set up with Flaps up for launch, Center for flight, and Flaps down for land. The DX7 also allowed for elevator mixing. I have heard a lot of folks mention crow. What is crow? On the DX9, I can assign the flaps to a knob and adjust the flaps however I want. I think I can assign the flaps to a 3-position switch and the know. I'm still new to the TX so I'm not sure what I can do with it yet.
Thank you.

Ted
strat1960s is offline Find More Posts by strat1960s
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,585 Posts
Crow brake = flaps Down and aileron up
at 1:30 in video

Phoenix 2000, Aerobatic set up. (2 min 43 sec)

Regards
Soren
SpeedsterDEN is online now Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM
Canada, AB, Peace River
Joined Aug 2014
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat1960s View Post
I broke down and bought a DX9 today. So does anyone know how to program a glider into one of these things??

Ted
use this setup, its for a DX 18 but works on DX9 and my DX6 with caveats( :Note: there are many setup in the file)
demon1954 is offline Find More Posts by demon1954
Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM
Life is good!
Joined Jul 2007
118 Posts
Speedster and Demon,

Thank you for the video and files.

Ted
Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM
Joined Jun 2011
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday View Post
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

I'M SO PI@#ED!

The P2k I have was all out of wack, the elevator bridge was loose, reglued that, the bracket that holds the tail section was loose because the bore in the fuselage was too big and that tubes could move. Solved that with adding dabs of CA on the outside until it fit snug.

Finally got it flying right for about 15 seconds..... It was flying great and rolled and pulled to get away from the tree line since I was still trimming the plane. I THOUGHT I was in front of the tree line, I was behind it. Straight into a tree. The top of the tree, a tall tree.

Broke out the recovery slingshot and line. 3 1/2 hours later it stuck further into the tree than when we started. I had to leave it there, probably going to lose my ESC and possibly my NEW Taranis RX. Going to head out in the morning to try and see if the wind blew it down.

I'm so mad at myself for letting this happen. I hope I can get it back tomorrow without too much damage.

Also, it might rain tonight in that area.
I feel your pain. I have put mine in trees twice this summer. Fortunately the trees have been on my own property. I was able to put a long ladder against the tree trunk and then used a long extension pole to push the glider out of the branches. The second time it hit the tree at high speed so it was push the PIECES out of the tree. Be sure to look for the CF wing spar if the wings come apart. The first time I used my neighbour's long telescoping aluminum pole. However the second time he was not around so I had to use several 10 foot lengths of plastic electrical conduit. Use at least 3/4" diameter as it gets very "whippy" at 30 feet.

Good luck.

PS - It may help to make a wire "Y" fork at the end of the pole so it is easier to make solid contact with the glider (or parts).
Ramblin is offline Find More Posts by Ramblin
Last edited by Ramblin; Yesterday at 05:02 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM
Canada, AB, Peace River
Joined Aug 2014
18 Posts
Modded canopy and testing scoops for cooling motor/esc verses drag.
be flying later in the week.

Setup is stock motor/esc.5AUbec,6 servos,orange 6ch Rx/w remote(near tail) 2000 mah-30C battery/3cell.
demon1954 is offline Find More Posts by demon1954
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM
Life is good!
Joined Jul 2007
118 Posts
Demon,

I've seen several people put the scoops over the vent holes to force more air inside the fuse. Does the P2K have problems with overheating? I've got less than twenty flights on P2Ks and haven't noticed any heat issues.

Ted
Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,697 Posts
I have two small slits in the top rear of my canopy but nothing else is any different and never had an issue.
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Today, 03:08 AM
Joined Apr 2010
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterDEN View Post
Crow brake = flaps Down and aileron up
at 1:30 in video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iii-LNMnHE

Regards
Soren
Hello Soren,
Excellent setup, however I can't understand how elevator down and flaps and ailerons up doesn't cancel each other out? I've heard of this before so I know it works but I don't understand how?
Can you clarify please?

John.
Crowstooth is online now Find More Posts by Crowstooth
Old Today, 04:01 AM
Chch, NZ
Democratic Republic of the Congo, Katanga, Haut-Katanga
Joined Mar 2012
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I feel your pain. I have put mine in trees twice this summer. Fortunately the trees have been on my own property. I was able to put a long ladder against the tree trunk and then used a long extension pole to push the glider out of the branches. The second time it hit the tree at high speed so it was push the PIECES out of the tree. Be sure to look for the CF wing spar if the wings come apart. The first time I used my neighbour's long telescoping aluminum pole. However the second time he was not around so I had to use several 10 foot lengths of plastic electrical conduit. Use at least 3/4" diameter as it gets very "whippy" at 30 feet.

Good luck.

PS - It may help to make a wire "Y" fork at the end of the pole so it is easier to make solid contact with the glider (or parts).
I use a small child with a string tied to the ankle in case they too get stuck...
No, seriously, although this won't help you because it sounds like you are too high, but I used to carry a cheap 4-5mt telescoping fishing rod in my car, with a cut down treble hook form a very large trolling lure cable tied to the end eye (just cut one of the three hooks off). Works well if you can get that close, also handy for climbing the tree with it collapsed.

Good luck...
Kenniffs is online now Find More Posts by Kenniffs
Old Today, 04:01 AM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowstooth View Post
Hello Soren,
Excellent setup, however I can't understand how elevator down and flaps and ailerons up doesn't cancel each other out? I've heard of this before so I know it works but I don't understand how?
Can you clarify please?

John.
They should do that a bit, but the down elevatoer in the video is what it need to fly in a straight line when aplying the crow brake without lifting the nose.

Probberbly different on every glider type.

Regards
Soren
SpeedsterDEN is online now Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN