HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2014, 02:58 PM
Hey guys...watch this
United States, KS
Joined Jul 2013
74 Posts
Gary you should post some pictures of the turning process! I would love to see how you do it and what is the difference of sport and quiet pipes with the design?
buildcrashrepair is offline Find More Posts by buildcrashrepair
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2014, 04:23 PM
Demonstrations on Saturdays!
United States, CA, Woodland
Joined Jan 2012
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcChiken View Post
These chat rooms are great for help too . If you cant join a club or don't have one near you the internet is the next best thing . I am also a ProBro member . We have sent money to people in need . We got a guy in Cuba going on a profile airplane . He didn't have money to buy everything so we sent him what he needed . We have had fund raisers for someone sick in the hospital . Did a t-shirt sale .

KWblake there are a lot more links on post number 1 .
Our club is pretty good mainly because of it's size. There's enough of a mix of people to find help. Of course you have the old timers that laugh at your"flying electric cooler chest" or the "you're not a modeler, that's an ARF" groups. Me I fly everything and anything.
We have an International Heli Meet this weekend and the proceeds go to Autism Speaks. Close to 20K last year. So they're not all bad.
But this thread in this forum seems outstanding. Kudos guys.

So to get back on track I posted my used FA65 won't rev over 5K and it was suggested that the prop might be to much so I downsized to 13X6 and didn't help much. Now where do I look?

And I would like to see your tune up in pictures too!
gravityking is offline Find More Posts by gravityking
Old Sep 21, 2014, 05:11 PM
Hey guys...watch this
United States, KS
Joined Jul 2013
74 Posts
gravityking,
I think the plan is for Cherokee Flyer to take pictures during the rebuild process so we can all see! I can't wait to get this engine back and put it in the Senior Telemaster

Have fun in the clouds,
Rob
buildcrashrepair is offline Find More Posts by buildcrashrepair
Old Sep 21, 2014, 06:05 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityking View Post

So to get back on track I posted my used FA65 won't rev over 5K and it was suggested that the prop might be to much so I downsized to 13X6 and didn't help much. Now where do I look?
Sounds to me like your just not gettin enough fuel to make power bro. Could be any one of a million reasons though.

Improper fuel flow.....or....vacum leakage......

Make sure the HSN is not clogged.
Any bubbles in line when running? Make sure the fuel tubing is fresh and sealing properly. (also ck the internal line with clunk)
Make sure mechanical surfaces are ok and snug. IE: Rear cover seal, manifold to head seal, carb to manifold seal.
Change glow plug (ya never know)
Engage another brain (local buddy) always helps. He will also have different fuel to eliminate any question of fuel probs.

All I got for now.....
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Sep 21, 2014, 07:32 PM
Demonstrations on Saturdays!
United States, CA, Woodland
Joined Jan 2012
366 Posts
Thanks Dad,
Have been setting up tanks for years so fairly sure that's not it. But confidence doesn't insure accuracy! Did the glow plug. Will look at the rest though. Thanks for the leads.
Will report back in a week or so after I go through the list!
gravityking is offline Find More Posts by gravityking
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:17 PM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
823 Posts
I agree whole hardly about the fuel thing. I have seen it draw water to a sealed bottle. Sun and heat both work on it. If you can try someone else's fuel. Have found many a problem at the field by trying another fuel can.

L.
Cherokee Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:06 AM
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2014
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeromasterBipe View Post
I have already gotten a lot of great info/help from the guys on this thread on cleaning and adjusting valve lash etc. thank you all. I used to race rc cars and everything was "TOP SECRET" nobody wanted to help out much.
Thats part of the reason I got out of 1/8 buggy and truggy racing. Good crew and I had a lot of fun, but everyone kept hints and tricks to themselves. And it was shockingly expensive if you wanted to be competitive. And two cars (truggy and buggy) used to chew up all of my free time every week in maintenance.

Whereas RC pilots are generally always willing to help others in the hobby.
This thread is a shining example of that part of our hobby.
CoarseAir is offline Find More Posts by CoarseAir
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:10 AM
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2014
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Cee View Post
OK , will do . I actually started turning the pipes today .

Thanks Gary.
I am in the process of building an engine test stand.

Wonder how long it's going to take me to run in 5 engines and test a further 11.

Trying to figure out the best way to build it to take gas and glow engines.
CoarseAir is offline Find More Posts by CoarseAir
Old Sep 22, 2014, 06:57 AM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,017 Posts
gravityking, just jumped back on here and saw your post on the rev problem.

Unfortunately, have to request more info I may have missed on the kind of behavior it presents as it idles, accelerates. and maxes out.

Is the engine difficult to start?
How stable is the idle?
Does it stumble or smoke from the exhaust?
Does it accelerate strongly up to that 5K limit, then suddenly peak there?
Type and condition of the glow plug?
Engine mount orientation, ie. is the engine sitting sideways, inverted, etc.?
Is the engine cowled?
Have you made any non-standard changes? This can be in the form of exhaust adapters or extensions.
Have you worked on the engine, focusing on cam housing removal and installation?

Other than restrictions to fuel or intake/exhaust gas flow the only other factor I can think of would be valve adjustment or timing. Too tight and you would get leakage that would limit combustion efficiency. In the case of intake valve leak it would blow the following air/fuel charge down or completely out of the intake, preventing a good clean charge for the next combustion cycle.

NOTE: If you have hot combustion gasses leaking past the exhaust valve/seat they won't generally last long. Once burned/eroded away no amount of tuning will solve running and performance issues.

Too large a valve gap would delay valve opening, (timing) and reduce the duration they remain open. This limits the amount of fuel/air charge that enters and exhaust gasses that eject during engine running.

A worn cam/lifter combination could do the same by limiting the amount the valves open.

If this post seems simplified and you have experience tuning engines don't take this the wrong way. The info may help others along the way and as always are my own take on things.
Cougar429 is online now Find More Posts by Cougar429
Old Sep 22, 2014, 07:13 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Flyer View Post
I agree whole hardly about the fuel thing. I have seen it draw water to a sealed bottle. Sun and heat both work on it. If you can try someone else's fuel. Have found many a problem at the field by trying another fuel can.

L.
I once stored an opened gallon of 15% Cool Power on my flight box W/the fuel line hooked up to the electric pump & looped to the vent tube on the cap. It was a sealed loop. That jug was about 1/3 full & it sat in a dark corner indoors for 14 years along side of an unopened jug of the same.

When I started to get back into R/C after that 14 year hiatus I found the unopened jug to be just fine & the only problem W/the opened, sealed loop jug was some fine white sediment that I strained out through a coffee filter. It ran nearly as good as the unopened jug. The only difference was a slightly better idle from the unopened jug.

If glow fuel is kept sealed & out of direct sunlight, the shelf life can be extremely long.
SrTelemaster is online now Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Old Sep 22, 2014, 07:41 AM
Glow is Great !
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,294 Posts
I have 6 cans of 30 plus year old Fox Missile Mist fuel in metal cans that are remainders from a 20 can lot that I bought for a buck a can . The fuel still works like new . On the other hand many years ago I bought a case of locally made Logghe's fuel in plastic jugs . I had placed a few of the jugs directly on the concrete garage floor and the rest high up on a wooden shelf . The fuel had a pink die . After sitting all winter the fuel on the floor had the bottom 1 inch was a pale blue color while the stuff high on the shelf was still completely pink . In the spring , the garage floor often gets damp . I only tried one of the jugs from the floor and had idle and cut out problems , the other fuel was fine .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:21 PM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
2,881 Posts
About 40 years ago I made relative humidity measurements of (compressed) instrument air, pressure a few bar, and did use a blue 4/6 mm diam PVC hose (special made for compressed air!) of about 30 meters long, I didn't thrust the data, the data seemed to be too high and made a check with a hose of about 2 meters, of course relocating the instrument for that period. Data was completely different! As I remember well the relative humidity indication at long distance was much higher ! It seemed as if moisture penetrating the plastic while the pressure in the hose was higher!! (experience, experience..........!)
Cees
Taurus Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Last edited by Taurus Flyer; Sep 22, 2014 at 11:29 PM.