HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2014, 03:10 PM
Joined Oct 2014
1 Posts
Discussion
Possible LiPo short?

Hi there.

I was just in the middle of charging my Lipo Battery (8000mah 5S Zippy) and I wanted to check the battery voltage. I didn't pull the bullet connectors apart because I was lazy and went to read from the balancer.

I shorted two pins together and instant bad smell. I unplugged and separated everything. Checking the battery voltage, it was fine, didn't make any unpleasant smells etc but it could still be buggered internally, need some opinions on this.

Plugging the balance cable back into the charger seems to result in the charger not recognising the battery so I think that's buggered. It was a cheap SkyRC E6, so no biggie.

As far as the battery goes, what are your opinions? I shorted two balance cables for a very short period of time. I fried one of the pins on the balance extender, but there is no other visible damage. There is no smell from the charger, but it doesn't appear to work properly, but it does turn on and give me what I believe are sensible signals.

I currently have it right next to me and I'm closely monitoring it. Are there any signs I should look for in terms of fire? How long should I leave it before I assume that it's okay? I don't know for sure I've broken the battery, I don't really have time to test it tonight safely so I want to store it. Should I put it in a metal box on a hard floor where it would struggle to spread if it did go off unsupervised?

The only other thing I've noticed is this effect on the bottom cell. Not sure if this is a bad sign or if it's just glue runoff or something. It could well have been there all along and this is just paranoia. Again, it doesn't smell or anything.

http://i.imgur.com/ZUBWkxm.jpg

Any advice would be good, thanks.
Russbo is offline Find More Posts by Russbo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2014, 04:41 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,006 Posts
Any short will harm the battery, the question is by how much.
Yours, since it either melted a balance lead or melted the solder on the PC board sounds like it may be a little more than casual damage.

Check the pack voltage, leave it outside tonight and measure it again in the morning. How much difference was there?
Any sweet smell is the sign of a ruptured cell.

In my experience, shorted packs have a short lifespan , gradually losing caoacity and amp delivery capability.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy