SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 02, 2014, 03:17 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,414 Posts
New Product
DJI S900 Owners Thread - Mini Build Log

For the next few weeks I will be updating this first post so please check back often. I will be setting up the s900 with the following components
A2
Lightbridge
iOSD MarkII
GH4 HD Gimbal
TroyBuiltModels.com 15000mah
AGA 20000mah

There was no manual available during this build. I just did it in the steps that made sense to me So if the manual is released and I missed something or did something out of order this is why. The quality of the s900 is about the same as the s1000 with some aluminum replaced with some kind of hard polymer. Just like the s1000 there is very little to complete. The main frame is 90% built, I went through each screw to double check for thread lock and everything was good.

Motor control connection is the same as the s1000 as well. Very clean design and very few wires. You sill use all 8 wires of the wires harness but only 6 are active. At this point you should connect the landing gear 3pin servo wire to the a2 and LG control board as well.

The top plate is a complete new design. With only 6 screws you can remove it and have access to the power distro board and access to all other components. This is a really nice feature and makes maintenance and wire routing really easy.

With only four screws the top cover of the power distor board is removed

After removing the top plate and power distro cover I connected the motor control wire harness to the a2. First plug I used starts out with a set of black wires with the lasr one being yellow, this is motors 1-4. 4 being the yellow colored wire. Next is the black set with brown going to motor 8 pin. Once again only 2 wires of the last four wires are used.

I installed the PMU on the left side and the iOSD MarkII on the right.

Next I installed the landing gear. You want to make sure you loosen both screws on the main tube so the landing strut goes in easily and does not get scared. The main tube is the same size of the s1000 so the Lightbridge antenna paddles holders will fit.

Landing gear tubes attach to the retract mounts via clamp with one screw. The landing gear tube and mount is keyed so please take note. Once secure please attach spring to the landing gear. This is easily done with a pair of needle nose pillars.

The motors are the DJI 4114 Pro's, these motors and esc's have preformed flawless on my s1000. The new motor mounts and arm mounts are some kind of polymer. When I first saw them I was a little concerned on the arm mount. But after locking each arm.. It does feel more secure than the s1000's aluminum. I guess only time will tell to see if this is a better solution than the aluminum. The motors have a new connection method as well.

The arms are secured by the same red clips that the s1000 uses. If you look closely you will notice the rubber plug that is inserted into the arm. This keep the complete locking system very tight and secure.

Once the arms are connected you can connect the motor power wires and esc control wire for each arm. There is 3 positive post and 3 negative. You want to double up on each one. Leave these loose for now. You will need to be able to position the power wires under the power cover. Once the cover is on you can lock everything down. Be very careful while you install the top cover of the power board. It's very easy to pinch a wire if you are not paying attention. Just take your time and it's very simple.

Once the top cover is on you will be able to clean up the wiring and put the top plate back on.

Only thing left to do is install the GPS puck and program the A2. For the first few test flight I am using the internal rx. Once I get a few flights on her I will install the Lightbridge and GH4 gimbal.

Let me tell you this was the wrong week for DJI to send this to me. I'm an IT manager and we are doing major system updates this week. This is why my build is taking longer than normal. I will be updating this post with more pictures of the final build, with gimbal and Lightbridge and final impressions. Please stay tuned.

**Update 8/9/14**
Short video of 2nd test flight
DJI S900 **2nd Test Flight** (5 min 49 sec)

Update **8/10/14**
DJI S900 -GH4 HD Gimbal - Lightbridge (12 min 15 sec)

Update **8/24/14**
DJI S900 Fast Forward Flight and Wind **TEST** (3 min 13 sec)
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Last edited by blade strike; Aug 24, 2014 at 01:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2014, 03:19 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2012
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
I will be updating this first post with pictures and data. Please keep this thread to the s900 and supported components.

I will be setting up the s900 with the following configuration.
A2
Lightbridge
iOSD MarkII
GH4 Gimbal
TroyBuiltModels.com 15000mah
AGA 20000mah
Is the battery compartment the same size as the S1000? I have 16000mah's would be nice to interchange them with the S900
leemann is offline Find More Posts by leemann
Old Aug 02, 2014, 03:23 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemann View Post
Is the battery compartment the same size as the S1000? I have 16000mah's would be nice to interchange them with the S900
I will know more on Monday or Tuesday when I receive it. I hoping it is, since I have the same want
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: GenAce Tattu 25c 22,000mah 6s1p
Old Aug 03, 2014, 02:42 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,479 Posts
Tahoe Ed:
"They are all max rated at 17mph. With a few thousands of dollars in camera gear on board above that gets a little dicy."

Thanks Ed,
would you say that the S1000 has about the same limit?
Is the A2 performing better in high wind than the WKM?
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Old Aug 03, 2014, 11:01 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2013
33 Posts
17 mph?..........
MiamiJato is offline Find More Posts by MiamiJato
Old Aug 03, 2014, 11:11 AM
Joined Sep 2013
3,758 Posts
Sub'd.
ElGuano is offline Find More Posts by ElGuano
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E600 Load Testing
Old Aug 03, 2014, 11:14 AM
Joined Aug 2013
337 Posts
im getting one too... sub'd....
karlomatuguinas is online now Find More Posts by karlomatuguinas
Old Aug 03, 2014, 11:29 AM
Joined Jun 2009
452 Posts
Man. Wish I would have waited three weeks to order. I have a S-1000 being built. I could have bought another zenmuse for a BLack Magic with the savings. Oh well.
This is such a good deal !
splitboarder is offline Find More Posts by splitboarder
Old Aug 03, 2014, 08:59 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,145 Posts
So, basically this is the hexa version of S1000?

Could you please tell why DJI would offer another Hexa on the top of S800?
BenHayat is online now Find More Posts by BenHayat
Old Aug 03, 2014, 09:38 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,489 Posts
Some prices here.
http://www.uav-outlet.com/dji-spread...00-hexacopter/

With WKM, $1800! (No gimbal )

Looks very interesting, I was getting ready to push the buy button on an S-800EVO with WKM.
This is cheaper with the same folding arm system as the S-1000
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old Aug 03, 2014, 10:54 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHayat View Post
So, basically this is the hexa version of S1000?

Could you please tell why DJI would offer another Hexa on the top of S800?
The S800 has been discontinued.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Aug 04, 2014, 12:12 AM
United States, CT
Joined Oct 2012
615 Posts
They're building these things cheaper and cheaper... I'm guessing finding cheaper parts and materials to build them with.

Why did they have to add another 4 inches in wingspan (100mm)?? The s800 looks scary enough in the sky, the s1000 is a damn monster. Now this 900mm cheap one will be scaring the crap out of people everywhere and damage the image of drones in the public eye even further. They should have just made a folding s800 and not make it bigger... but then again I don't trust these folding mechanisms at all
TimeTrave1er is offline Find More Posts by TimeTrave1er
Old Aug 04, 2014, 01:25 AM
Ireland
Joined Mar 2013
3,635 Posts
I think the 900 is going to be a big seller and can't wait for ed/ blade to review it and put it through its paces.
eirlink is online now Find More Posts by eirlink
Old Aug 04, 2014, 04:43 AM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
The S800 has been discontinued.
Thanks ED;

Is S900 going to be offered as a complete RTF or will it only be offered as ARF and then we have to add other components (like Blade is planning to do) to bring it up to a full copter?

If the answer is, "no full RTF", then may I, ask if DJI is planning to offer a Full RTF similar to Walkera H500 sometime by the end of this year?

Thank you in advance.
BenHayat is online now Find More Posts by BenHayat
Old Aug 04, 2014, 06:40 AM
Joined Jul 2011
670 Posts
DJI Spreading Wings S900: Create Anywhere

The DJI Spreading Wings S900 is designed for professional aerial photographers and cinematographers. Its lightweight, compact design makes it easy to take anywhere and create amazing aerials on the go. Equipped with our most advanced motors and electronic speed controllers, a sturdy carbon fiber frame, and a brand new power distribution system, the S900 gives you the power, strength and stability you need to create amazing footage.

DJI Spreading Wings S900: Create Anywhere (2 min 44 sec)

Lightweight, Strong and Stable
The S900s arms and landing gear are made of sturdy carbon fiber, greatly reducing weight while increasing stability and strength. This enables a long flight time without sacrificing performance.

Highly Portable, Easy to Carry
With arms that fold in to save space, the S900 is built to be taken wherever you need to go. Then when you want to fly, it can be ready to go in just a few minutes. Never before has a professional hexacoptor been so portable and easy to transport.

New Power Distribution System
A redesigned, rebuilt power distribution system improves safety and reliability. Gold-plated metal bearings with a unique screw design secure the power cords, ensuring cables will not come loose during flight and allowing easy setup.

Removable Upper Center Board
The upper center board can be removed, allowing easy access to install your flight controller and IMU, and giving you a convenient way to setup the power distribution system. Even installation of your main controller, iOSD, Lightbridge, or any other accessories is faster and easier than ever before.
This new center board structure is perfectly compatible with the DJI WKM and A2 flight controllers.

Sparkproof Plug
Prevent short circuits and easily plug in your power supply with the AS150 sparkproof plug.

Professional Quality
Weighing just 3.3kg, the S900 has a maximum takeoff weight of 8.2kg. This means you can easily carry most cameras and gimbals. Used with a 6S 12000mAh battery, it can fly for up to 18 minutes.*
*Maximum flight time is tested on a breezeless day with a payload of 6.8kg, hovering at a height of 2 meters.

Wide Range of Shooting Angles
Retractable landing gear and a special low gimbal mounting bracket gives you an extremely wide range of possible shooting angles and camera motions.

Compatible with Zenmuse Gimbals
DJIs Zenmuse camera gimbals are known for their stability, providing smooth footage capture in even the most difficult of conditions. The S900 fully supports the Zenmuse Z15, GH3, GH4, and BMPCC gimbals.

Reduced Vibrations, Clearer Footage
The S900s gimbal bracket is separated from the main frame by specifically designed dampers. This significantly reduces high-frequency vibrations and makes your shots clearer and sharper.

Innovative Arm Design
Each arm is designed with an 8 inversion and a 3 inclination, making the aircraft more stable when rolling and pitching, yet more flexible when rotating.

Greater Power
A 40A electronic speed controller (ESC), our fastest available, is built in to each arm. Combined with its 4114 pro motors, high performance 1552 folding propellers, and V-type mixer design, the S900 has a maximum thrust of 2.5Kg.
Our latest motor adopts a single wire stator design, offering improved heat dissipation, better performance, and a tidier, more reliable system.
DJI INNOVATIONS is offline Find More Posts by DJI INNOVATIONS
Site Sponsor