HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2014, 06:21 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2003
40 Posts
Yet another Clive Smalley P47

Hi Phil,

Never in a thousand years did I expect to find such a build thread! A spectacular build it is too.

I dug out my Clive Smalley P47 plans from a folder where they've been for the last thirty years just this afternoon. On a whim, thought I'd try a net search, just on the off chance.

Like yourself, they came from and RCM&E back then, and finally I've decided to have a crack at it. I guess we must also be of a similar age, I've probably had these since I was 13 or thereabouts.

I also have a plans for Smalley designed P39 Airacobra of about the same vintage.

At the time that I collected these two plans, I was aware of a P51 but sadly do not have a copy of that plan. I am also led to believe from internet searches that there was also a FW190A published.

I would love to have copies of these two plans.

Finally, your exceptional build is an inspiration. Time for yours truly to start some serious thinking!

Regards,
DF
DerFly is offline Find More Posts by DerFly
Last edited by DerFly; Jan 24, 2014 at 06:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2014, 03:23 PM
United Kingdom, England, Leeds
Joined Feb 2013
87 Posts
PHIL : excellent work

DerFly: i think it was FW190D not A and i think i have this plan and magazine article if i find some more time ill try to post it here although i don`t have large scanner ill try to do my best with it
marek84 is offline Find More Posts by marek84
Old Jan 24, 2014, 07:59 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2003
40 Posts
Hi Marek,

Thanks for your offer, that would be great.

I have also seen your build thread, it looks to be going well.

I will follow both threads with interest.

DF
DerFly is offline Find More Posts by DerFly
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:40 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
324 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. I must admit there are times when I do wonder about the sanity of it! But it is a very nicely proportioned model.

Big day on the covering today. The end is in sight.
Phil U is offline Find More Posts by Phil U
Old Feb 04, 2014, 04:01 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
324 Posts
Covering Complete

The covering is all but finished.

Just need to tidy up some of the edges and give it a thorough polish, which will be a white glove treatment.

After a lot of experimenting with various chemicals I found good old methylated spirits was the best thing for cleaning off any residue. The metho does 90% of the work, followed by a final polish with Brasso.

Painting will come next, but that will require a free day.
Old Feb 04, 2014, 04:25 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
324 Posts
New modelling tool

I've also found my riveting tool (with lead removed). It's been staring at me all along.

Wasn't going to bother with this much detail but what the hell, I've come this far...
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:32 AM
Florida
Joined Dec 2001
390 Posts
I wouldn't paint over Brasso unless you've done it before and know it's ok. My understanding of Brasso is it leaves chemicals behind to slow down corrosion.

If you haven't done that before then either test and allow the test piece to dry for a month and then abuse it.

What I would do is just a standard for painting - thoroughly degrease and then paint.

Looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished and test flights.
CafeenMan is offline Find More Posts by CafeenMan
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:01 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
324 Posts
Thanks for the advice CafeenMan. I'll give it a thorough clean with metho and possibly thinners before painting, and also have a test piece.

On a go-slow at the moment getting another project ready so I can do a bulk painting project. Have started adding panel lines and rivets also.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:05 PM
Florida
Joined Dec 2001
390 Posts
Thinner isn't a good idea either. Sometimes it's ok if it's the same thinner used in the paint, but anything that contains mineral spirits can leave more oil than you started. Acetone and alcohol are fine.

I use tri-sodium phosphate (TSP) because it's an excellent degreaser and a lot less expensive than thinner. Depending on where you live you may not be able to buy it because it's horrible for the environment and outlawed in a lot of places.
CafeenMan is offline Find More Posts by CafeenMan
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:11 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
324 Posts
I was referring to the specific paint thinners rather than the greasy generic stuff.

Hmm, never heard of TSP. I wouldn't go near the automotive stuff as that also seems to be very oily.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 07:13 AM
Joined Jan 2014
3 Posts
Hello at the first sorry for my english i'm french
I follow your post and your p47 is beautiful.
I make this plane too and i did the flight test this morning and the p47 fly very well
to give you an idea
weight 650g
electric motor 160w 50g 1200kv
I try to put a picture and video on the week

b.rutters
batdu08 is offline Find More Posts by batdu08
Old Feb 23, 2014, 03:58 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
324 Posts
Hi b, thanks for the compliment. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics and even better, a video. Thanks for the weights, it's good to have a comparison.

Still waiting to catch up with some other work so I can get started on the painting, but I'm getting closer. Been away a lot lately.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 11:24 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
324 Posts
Paint?

Will I get to painting today? We'll see. I now have everything ready, but am using a new spray paint setup so will need to practice a bit first and make sure everything is working properly.

The photo shows the model coated with that Hobbyco latex masking material. Not the easiest stuff to use but I don't trust masking tape on the foil. It was a day in itself just to get the masking sorted out - hopefully the stuff will work properly.
Old Mar 03, 2014, 03:22 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
324 Posts
Managed to paint the primer yesterday. Looks like it's gone on without a hitch. Won't know whether the masking is working until further down the track.
Old Mar 06, 2014, 04:59 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
324 Posts
Paint

Half way through the painting. The anti-glare is on the top of the fuselage and there are still a few markings to go on the tail and wings.

I'm using a mixture of paints to get the right colours and effects. The primer is a Dupont acrylic lacquer base; the black stripes are a Tamiya enamel (for no other reason than I had some already), and the remaining colours are Italeri acrylics. Clear coat will be Dupont again (Duxone 1K), which will need to be waxed afterwards.

That might sound like a rabble but we can't get good modelling paint in Australia, go figure.

The Dupont is of course nice to spray and gives a good cover, but is not the best for fuel proofing, although with the wax it should be fine. The Tamiya has been disappointing, as the colour depth is not great and it has crept under the mask a little. I may have thinned it a little too much though. The Italeri is a good product that sprays nicely and comes in really nifty dripper bottles.

Most disappointing of all has been the HobbyCo Master Mask. The instructions say to put on a thick coat, with the option of a second coat, best sprayed on. Surely that is a misprint. What they meant to say was to use at least 4 coats, and then hope for the best. Who on earth would put this goo through a spray gun? I'm not ever sure if it's possible.

I was spooning the stuff on with a brush, thinking I had a thick coat, but it was clearly nowhere near thick enough in most places. Admittedly it may have spread a little thin in some places, but even where it was thick it often failed miserably (and I did test it, but clearly not well enough). The paint seems to soak straight through quite randomly so that you end up having to rub and scrape it off, rather than peeling. I have a lot of work ahead of me just to remove the mask. At least it worked I guess, but in some areas I'm going to have re-do the foil.

I will have some minor touch-up work to do, mainly on the black stripes, but am otherwise happy with the paint itself and the way it has covered the foil.