HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2013, 01:30 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
Tim, are both of your wings the same length? A lot of the old C/L combat ships I've seen like this have one wing longer than the other. I would guess the inside wing is longer so it gives a little more lift to lift towards the outside of the circle? I've been really wanting to try this idea as well, but I was interested in doing a simple spad wing combat ship with a glow motor..... basically same setup as your's, though. I've also thought this ship would make an awesome C/L conversion as it reminds me of a lot of the old ships: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...d.php?t=860561 Keep posting your progress!
Yes both wings are the same. With only an 18 inch span, I doubt having one a little shorter would make much difference.

I've heard rumors of SPADS being made to control line. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

The Piranha might make something good. Might need a larger motor to go with the larger wingspan and drag of 50 foot lines! As far as the KFM thing , been there done that , and its not my thing anymore.

Blue Skies....................Tim
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2013, 01:46 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by propaplace View Post
Yo! Speaking to the dizziness, sounds like you're going to get plenty of practice doing figure 8's, like me!! L.O.L.!!

LOL ! Well the speed is OK if it had longer lines! I now have a variety of props to try, but the wind isn't cooperating . As soon as it does, I'll try what I got.

You know, lift is a function of speed, the more an airplane weighs the faster it needs to fly to have enough lift. At 4.5 ounces, this little plane needs to fly faster then these short lines will allow and still be enjoyable for me. And I can't make the lines much longer and still fly here. But I plan on trying it out with longer lines at the park where we are allowed to fly at soon! Meanwhile a lighter plane needs to be built!

I've joined Hippockets and Finally Stunthanger let me join. These 2 sites have a wealth of info and I've been reading a lot the last few days!

Stay tuned in a few days I'll have more to report!

Blue Skies......................Tim
Old May 30, 2013, 08:55 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,743 Posts
I re-thunk it I think?

Well it seems to me that I need something a lot lighter. For me that hard to do, don't know, I guess some people can build light and others, like me it's kind of hard or else my scale is wrong or something!

I left my friends house with a 10 gram motor, a bunch of props, some smaller,lighter ESC's and lighter smaller battery.

So first up is the wing. The one that I hot wired is going to be way to heavy so it will be sidelined until this newer one is finished, then I'll complete it in a new thread. Back to the wing. I used PBIII foam as it is stiffer then the MPF foam. Next I marked off the areas that I wanted to sand, not for aerodynamic reasons but to loose weight. It started off at 17 grams. Next the skin was removed and the wing sanded. Then holes were cut with a knife and the edges sanded smooth. After sanding and Swiss Cheesing it the wing was tempered, that's is a hot air gun was passed over it until the foam just started to melt and no more! This stiffens up the foam a lot. At this point the wing weighed 12.4 grams.

Then some .014x1/8 inch carbon was used as a spar. Masking tape was laid along the spar line then the line marked and a utility knife made a cut only deep enough to fit the spar. The spar is glued in with foam safe CA. Next I routed out the area that the Bell Crank support goes and the 1/32 ply supports were CA'd in place. Unfortunately I forgot to cut out a place for the tip weight.

The Bell Crank was made from .032 Aluminum and Not a Knots were attached to the Bell Crank. An .049 wire drives the elevator ( I was to lazy to get up and look for .032 wire ! ). I have Carbon rods, but I've never seen a wire fail, where I have seen Carbon push rods fail. I give up the 2 grams for safety !

More later and Blue Skies....................Tim
Old May 30, 2013, 10:46 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,743 Posts
Next a Rudder was made from MPF foam , because it crashes better! A slot was made in the wing to align the rudder.

Then the wing was covered with Oralight transparent white and Econokote red and black. The weight at this point is 20.1 grams, not bad for a covered wing ( the covering helps add stiffness and protection ) with a spar and mounting points for the Bell Crank.

A motor mount/ battery tray needed to be made and it dawned on me that I had some 3/32 5 pound balsa. Foam weighs 2.5 pounds and is 1.4 inch thick, so the balsa looks better and about the same weight! A dummy mount was made from foam and the motor, battery and ESC were placed on it then it was set on the wing to determine the best guess at its length. Then the light ply motor mount and Balsa pieces cut out. Since there is only 4 pieces they were covered with Econokote before gluing together. Then the motor temporally attached along with the battery and slid into position . Looks like everything will balance out OK. Total weigh so far is 79.3 grams or 2.8 ounces. This does not include the receiver or tip weight. Also the elevator needs hinging , it all adds up but hoping for 3.25 ounces!

More next time and Blue Skies................Tim
Old May 31, 2013, 05:04 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,743 Posts
First crash! LOL!

Today the winds finally died down and I wanted to try out a different prop on the first Foamie that I built. The GWS EP 7035 seems to make enough thrust to lift it straight up. Then I paced of the area that I have to fly here and decided that I could get by on 18 foot lines and installed them.

I tried 3 times to launch it with the EP 7035 prop but it just didn't have enough power to get it about a foot off the stooge before it would settle down into the ground. No damage at this point.

Next I put back the APC 7X4 SF prop to see what difference the 18 foot lines made over the 14 foot lines.

She launched as before and we were going around a tad slower ( because of the greater circumference ) and we had a very nice line tension. While its a little fast, I think I can get used to it! After making about 25 to 30 wobbly laps I tried a loop at slightly reduced throttle, but the line tension went away and the lines got slack so I stepped back and applied full throttle as I came out of the loop. Flew 2 more laps did 2 consecutively ,2 more laps and 2 more loops. At this point I had 5 twists in the line, so I thought its time to do an outside loop! I climbed up to an angle of what I remember as being good for a nice outside loop and executed it. Well that angle with 18 foot lines has less altitude then it does with 35 foot lines! Oops! She hit the ground right at the bottom, breaking the firewall and crushing some foam in the front and the Rudder was laying on the ground about a foot behind the poor little thing!

I really think that something like this would be a lot of fun on 25 lines and nice green grass at the park! These motors and ESC's are cheap! 1 sheet of Dollar Tree would make at least 2 of them!

OK, now I need to stop playing around and finish the third one!

Blue Skies..................Tim
Old Jul 01, 2013, 12:18 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,743 Posts
Don't ya just love it when a thread stops unfinished ?

Me to, sooo............... Well after destroying the first model, it dawned on me that maybe I should seek professional help ! I have joined the local control line club PC Flyers and am re learning how to crash bigger models now!

And now I have some thoughts on starting over. My memory doesn't allow me to fly the way I used to! And I sometimes need to swallow my pride and listen to what others are telling me! And I wish more were involved with Electrics!

Will I ever finish this little model? I doubt it , but who knows.

Blue Skies.......................Tim