SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:18 AM
Flight Instructor
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2008
684 Posts
As you can see I built a pedestal out of carbon fiber plate and tube. I mounted the GPS and Magnetometer on top of one. The Red chip is the Magnetometer and the Green is the GPS. One thing I'm curious about is if you have an external magnetometer chip to install. Hoverfly doesn't sell these with their boards. You buy them separately from an electronics store. The GPS doesn't need to be lined up any direction. It just needs to face up. The Mag chip has to be oriented to the front of the ship. Therefore you need it sitting on a mount that can be adjusted in increments. Hope this helps. Any questions let me know.
mspencer is offline Find More Posts by mspencer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2013, 07:42 PM
USA, WA
Joined Jan 2011
141 Posts
Beeping on 4.8

I just upgraded to 4.8, can anyone tell me if the new firmware is made to continually give a beep tone every 1s or so when armed and green light good to go. I am hoping it is for an audible alert to let you know you are armed.

All flies great so far on my old green pro board.
ArltTech is offline Find More Posts by ArltTech
Old Aug 08, 2013, 09:26 PM
USA, WA
Joined Jan 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArltTech View Post
I just upgraded to 4.8, can anyone tell me if the new firmware is made to continually give a beep tone every 1s or so when armed and green light good to go. I am hoping it is for an audible alert to let you know you are armed.

All flies great so far on my old green pro board.
Guess I just need to check in a little more often....

"This is a really common question - I might have to lobby to change our company motto to "There's nothing wrong with it! The beeping is normal, really!"

But yes, this change is actually the very first note in the change-log for version 4.8:
https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/ent...re-Update-v4-8

It was also a Tip of the Week in April:
https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/ent...ed-and-Alarmed

Nothing to worry about - just a safety feature to help prevent mishaps like this one (not for the squeamish):
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1650153
hoverben is offline Send a private message to hoverben Find More Posts by hoverben"
ArltTech is offline Find More Posts by ArltTech
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:50 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2012
422 Posts
That helps tonnes! Thanks, I would have responded sooner but was on holidays. So I only have the compass and not the magnometer. I'll be ordering one tomorrow. I'm used to flying DJI and can't wait to get this thing dialed in proper and feel how she flies. Not a huge APM fan yet..

I'll have a few questions through the week if you don't mind, or know of any posts that you can lead me to until I can dig in here a little deeper.

Do you have a video of that bird flying with/without the magnometer?

I just installed a second new HVP board and am going to flash the FW in the morning and spend the day tuning/flying. You guys might see me here quite a bit this week! I'll try and get the compass calibration on video, I haven't found one yet. I need to find a reverse 90deg very short usb cable or modify the placement of the heat sync sitting in front of the port on the board. I have to pull the HVP board right off to plug into it right now, here we go, first mod!

Thank you for your patience and knowledge! I look forward to flying this firmware!

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspencer View Post
As you can see I built a pedestal out of carbon fiber plate and tube. I mounted the GPS and Magnetometer on top of one. The Red chip is the Magnetometer and the Green is the GPS. One thing I'm curious about is if you have an external magnetometer chip to install. Hoverfly doesn't sell these with their boards. You buy them separately from an electronics store. The GPS doesn't need to be lined up any direction. It just needs to face up. The Mag chip has to be oriented to the front of the ship. Therefore you need it sitting on a mount that can be adjusted in increments. Hope this helps. Any questions let me know.
apvxtreme is offline Find More Posts by apvxtreme
Last edited by apvxtreme; Aug 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:58 PM
Flight Instructor
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2008
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvxtreme View Post
That helps tonnes! Thanks, I would have responded sooner but was on holidays. So I only have the compass and not the magnometer. I'll be ordering one tomorrow. I'm used to flying DJI and can't wait to get this thing dialed in proper and feel how she flies. Not a huge APM fan yet..

I'll have a few questions through the week if you don't mind, or know of any posts that you can lead me to until I can dig in here a little deeper.

Do you have a video of that bird flying with/without the magnometer?

I just installed a second new HVP board and am going to flash the FW in the morning and spend the day tuning/flying. You guys might see me here quite a bit this week! I'll try and get the compass calibration on video, I haven't found one yet. I need to find a reverse 90deg very short usb cable or modify the placement of the heat sync sitting in front of the port on the board. I have to pull the HVP board right off to plug into it right now, here we go, first mod!

Thank you for your patience and knowledge! I look forward to flying this firmware!

J
I don't have a video specifically of it flying with the magnetometer (compass) on and then with it off. Whenever you activate a GPS function (holding or RTH) the Magnetometer is activated. In Manual mode or Auto Leveling (GPS Off) the magnetometer is normally turned off. The gyros would maintain the heading in this case. However there is a feature in the setup software that allows the heading to be controlled via the magnetometer when in auto leveling mode so theres no drifting but I don't use it. The HFP has very good gyros and doesn't make any noticeable drift when in manual mode or auto leveling anyway. If you have any questions about the wiring for the Magnetometer (compass) or anything else let me know.
mspencer is offline Find More Posts by mspencer
Old Sep 08, 2013, 10:03 PM
CA
Joined Dec 2003
486 Posts
New firmware

I loaded the new firmware and my quad has flipped twice..
One broken boom....
Any suggestions?

Thanks
blindflight is offline Find More Posts by blindflight
Old Sep 09, 2013, 01:21 AM
North Lake Tahoe
Joined Nov 2009
604 Posts
What firmware did you upgrade from? Did you re-calibrate everything?
tahoelight is offline Find More Posts by tahoelight
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:18 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindflight View Post
I loaded the new firmware and my quad has flipped twice..
One broken boom....
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Do you have any more information?. Did you read the new firmware release notes and redo all the calibrations?. Were you in manual or AL mode when you flipped?. Did it flip on take off or did it flip a few minutes in to flight etc etc etc?.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Sep 12, 2013, 05:39 PM
CA
Joined Dec 2003
486 Posts
I believe I had two versions old and had not flown in 6months.
Quad is in "X" mode. I recalibrate everything before I flown. Prior to the new firmware everything worked ok, just thought I'd get the benefits of new version.
I was in manual mode landing. The flip happened after a short take off , get some height , turn on AL to test, turn off , come in for landing and then flip. Need to fix boom and will try again...
Thanks
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:23 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindflight View Post
I believe I had two versions old and had not flown in 6months.
Quad is in "X" mode. I recalibrate everything before I flown. Prior to the new firmware everything worked ok, just thought I'd get the benefits of new version.
I was in manual mode landing. The flip happened after a short take off , get some height , turn on AL to test, turn off , come in for landing and then flip. Need to fix boom and will try again...
Thanks
Do you know how to save the flight log?. If you do and have a problem you can send the flight log to Hoverfly and they will look at it and tell you what happened. Also you can send them a fault report via their zendesk helpdesk section on their website and they can help you as well.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:36 PM
CA
Joined Dec 2003
486 Posts
Thanks, good info.. will do