HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
Discussion
HELP Turnigy Trust ESC w/Old TX/RX

Hey there,
I have a Sig Kadet Jr which I am converted to electric. I've installed the Turnigy brushless outrunner. I planned on using the original rx and tx (Futaba FG Gold Series 72mhz). I switched the ESC's newer HITEC style plug with an old Futaba male servo plug to allow it to connect to the receiver.
However, I cannot for the life of me get this ESC to work right.
The ESC BEC powers the receiver fine and all other channels work. I've tried switching throttle channels. I've tried different battery, tried setting throttle to full then connecting battery etc, tried reversing throttle channel - nothing, can't even get a beep.

Now - I tried connecting this same ESC to my 450 heli and when connected to the Turnigy 9x receiver and brushless outrunner it initializes and works fine with no radio input.

I've tripled checked all connections etc etc I've yet to get even a tone from the ESC.

Is there something special i have to do to get the old radio system to work with this ESC? Or just not possible?
I have many spare Turnigy 9x receivers, however I've heard that 2.4ghz (and the 9x in particular!) are very inferior as far as range is concerned.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!
wakefreek617 is offline Find More Posts by wakefreek617
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:31 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,185 Posts
It should work. Perhaps the transmitter is out of calibration. Check that the subtrim and atv pots (if present) are centered.

Quote:
I've heard that 2.4ghz (and the 9x in particular!) are very inferior as far as range is concerned.
Not true. You should be able to speck out the Kadet Jr with that radio.

Turnigy 9X Radio - 3.13Km Range
Quote:
I just do a range test the radio Turnigy 9X with V2 RX-9X8X that came with it.

The TX was in my house with the missus, got the car and went to the place indicated in the figure: 3.13 Km to reach! Expected far less. My house sits high on a hill, then there is line of sight.
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
I will check all the throttle settings. The Futaba feels better in my hands but the Turnigy is very feature rich. If range is not an issue I may think about that!
Thank you,
MJK
wakefreek617 is offline Find More Posts by wakefreek617