HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2014, 09:05 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,288 Posts
Did you pick up the arc when they finished up, i should have got my self together and got one, have seen that 7s set up too on bf thread i think. Look forward to your efforts
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2014, 09:52 PM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined May 2011
85 Posts
cool testing the Hawk f5b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
Did you pick up the arc when they finished up, i should have got my self together and got one, have seen that 7s set up too on bf thread i think. Look forward to your efforts
Theres a thread with an Eagle/hawk with the same set up on 7s 212 amps /4752 watts

Yes --picked it up when I heard they were discontinuing them ---hard to come by now.

Do you have motor on switch ? ---if so details of ramp /on off or spring switch etc

Regards Keith
keithmoor is online now Find More Posts by keithmoor
Last edited by keithmoor; Oct 12, 2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:07 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,288 Posts
Yep, a9 too, at 1-2kw using .3 sec with slim blades but have also used none, guess use more to start and see what you think, depends what you want, careful my switch sticks a bit now, also might be an idea to go out n fly something low power n forgiving just to get used to the switch, don' t want to slam crow on when looking for throttle, just a thought.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 02:49 PM
Germany, RP, Nittel
Joined Sep 2014
13 Posts
Made a crappy video of mine. I went with a direct drive setup, a 1600kv inrunner (normally used as a 90mm edf motor), pulling 2800 Watt stationary on a 6S 2700 mAh lipo with a 7x7 prop. Still flying a bit far away and conservative as this was only the second flight I ever did with this plane. Lifted the LE of the stabilizer by about 1mm and the TE of the wing by 2.5mm. Also no trim required at all during the maiden flight. Tracks straight as an arrow and hardly loses energy, even though it doesn't have a folding prop. Weight is just a tad under 1700 grams.

Hawk hotliner (2 min 27 sec)
SanderHG is online now Find More Posts by SanderHG
Last edited by SanderHG; Oct 14, 2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 05:04 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,350 Posts
Moves along nicely Interesting setup. Like a XL size pylon racer.
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Oct 14, 2014, 05:37 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,288 Posts
Agree, have flown motor on, geared folder, found it kinda draggy though, how do you find it through the air? Nice color detail, luv it
Old Oct 14, 2014, 05:48 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderHG View Post
Made a crappy video of mine. I went with a direct drive setup, a 1600kv inrunner (normally used as a 90mm edf motor), pulling 2800 Watt stationary on a 6S 2700 mAh lipo with a 7x7 prop. Still flying a bit far away and conservative as this was only the second flight I ever did with this plane. Lifted the LE of the stabilizer by about 1mm and the TE of the wing by 2.5mm. Also no trim required at all during the maiden flight. Tracks straight as an arrow and hardly loses energy, even though it doesn't have a folding prop. Weight is just a tad under 1700 grams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv2jSBA2y2A
what motor is it , I have a 1600kv sitting around my closet , if its the same motor I I may try this ,
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:42 AM
Germany, RP, Nittel
Joined Sep 2014
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
Moves along nicely Interesting setup. Like a XL size pylon racer.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
Agree, have flown motor on, geared folder, found it kinda draggy though, how do you find it through the air? Nice color detail, luv it
A geared folder tends to be quite big, so lots of drag when it's turning. With a direct drive the prop is much smaller so drag is a lot less. Also it spins more freely as there is no gearbox behind it making the motor spin at 5 or 6 times the prop rpm. Obviously drag is more than it would be with a folder but definitely not bad .

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
what motor is it , I have a 1600kv sitting around my closet , if its the same motor I I may try this ,
I'm using a cheapo dr mad thust motor from HK (this one: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=29355), runs suprisingly well with this 7x7 APC Sport prop. ESC is a YEP 150A and I'm using an external BEC just to be sure. I had trouble finding a spinner that would fit correctly, in the end I used an Aeronaut spinner for folding props and modified it a little so it now can fit the APC prop instead of where normally the aluminium part that holds the blades goes.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 03:44 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Thanks

A geared folder tends to be quite big, so lots of drag when it's turning. With a direct drive the prop is much smaller so drag is a lot less. Also it spins more freely as there is no gearbox behind it making the motor spin at 5 or 6 times the prop rpm. Obviously drag is more than it would be with a folder but definitely not bad .

I'm using a cheapo dr mad thust motor from HK (this one: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=29355), runs suprisingly well with this 7x7 APC Sport prop. ESC is a YEP 150A and I'm using an external BEC just to be sure. I had trouble finding a spinner that would fit correctly, in the end I used an Aeronaut spinner for folding props and modified it a little so it now can fit the APC prop instead of where normally the aluminium part that holds the blades goes.
thanks for the info , not the same motor but similar stats .looks like I will be getting one of these Hawks , enjoy yours , cheers
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Oct 18, 2014, 02:55 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Ballarat
Joined Feb 2009
1,602 Posts
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv2jSBA2y2A
Very interesting setup and nice flying.

I ran the sound through "RCSpeedo" to get a speed using the doppler effect.
The first pass (at 14sec) was 236km/h or 146mph.
The other passes were not clear but mostly around 200km/h.

You can also estimate motor rpm as 30,150rpm (from the average frequency 2010Hz).
batballs is online now Find More Posts by batballs
Old Oct 18, 2014, 07:49 AM
Germany, RP, Nittel
Joined Sep 2014
13 Posts
Thanks! It's probably faster than that though, it's a lot faster than a couple of my other planes which are equipped with a pitot tube and do about 200km/h. I have a friend with a Hawk with a similar setup as mine which does 300+ km/h (measured with gps). I'll doppler it next time I go flying, as this video is not very usable for it. I was flying quite far away from where we were standing and directly into about 20km/h wind. The closest pass (the one around 14sec) was at least 200 feet (60m) away, the rest a lot further, which is why the other passes read lower. The prop is extremely loud, irl you can hear the echo of the echo bouncing back and forward between 2 tree lines in the distance when going from full power to idle so the app should not have difficulty picking it up.

I'm getting more comfortable with flying it now than I was in the video, so I'll try some proper high speed passes, close to the camera. I'm mostly gliding it in this vid, with full power for only 2 or 3 seconds each time. To be continued
Last edited by SanderHG; Oct 18, 2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:47 AM
Florence Italy
Joined Dec 2009
805 Posts
I have try pylon motorplant on hawk/inertia..but warning .. Fluttet of wing!
magrinsi is online now Find More Posts by magrinsi