HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:26 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showman View Post
Ok, I see, thanks.

Me too. I just put it vertical and let it go. Yak was on the same level so I believe the ratio is about 1. Is your ratio higher than 1?
Good idea ... I do it sometime with my EDF birds ... but with this YAK I did not try it ... it sounds a scaring procedure

I just make "bench" test ... with WATT meter .. keeping the bird on the home floor ... it was making a hell of wind and noise ...

I'm used to smaller RC bird ... this is still my heaviest bird that I own.

e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:57 PM
Russia, Moscow, gorod Moskva
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Here are some pics of stock motor
Showman is offline Find More Posts by Showman
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:05 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,892 Posts
Quote:
Here are some pics of stock motor
This is the same as mine

That is two time the size of the old problematic motor

So ... you should be fine also on summer time

Just drop some glue on the screw head and the back of the motor on the balsa support ... and they will not get lose in the air

Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:06 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Ok, glad to hear that :-)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:45 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Just measured electric current of stock motor + stock propeller 14x7 at full throttle. It is about 61A. Is this OK for that motor?
Then I put TGS Sport 14x7 propeller so current value at full throttle was about 55A...
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:35 AM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
After one stupid crash during take off yesterday I did maiden flight. The plane is very sensitive to controls however with proper CG the plane is very stable so I was able to touch down very-very smooth. The engine and ESC was OK. Now I'm thinking to reinforce gears-to-fuselage joint and add more magnetic clips to cowl and canopy.

Regards,
Andrey
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:57 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,892 Posts
Quote:
After one stupid crash during take off yesterday I did maiden flight. The plane is very sensitive to controls however with proper CG the plane is very stable so I was able to touch down very-very smooth. The engine and ESC was OK. Now I'm thinking to reinforce gears-to-fuselage joint and add more magnetic clips to cowl and canopy.

Regards,
Andrey
Congratulation

Any video of the Yak with lot of snow around ?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:17 AM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Thanks! No video but some pics are available ;-)
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/4122/...7_2c6bd778_XXL
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5646/...a_8f445bd7_XXL
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5645/..._16df5f99_orig
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:38 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,892 Posts
It is looking a nice place for fly

Do you have two Yak ... in one there is a pilot and in the other not ...

As well .. the S-Python is looking on the same size, but it is a bi-plane ... how it compare to the Yak ?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:16 AM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
That place is a frozen lake in Moscow city with self-made runway. We have cleaned some area about 10m*40m from snow - most difficult job due to heavy snowing last weeks. But it is worth it - ice has no bumps, if something goes wrong it is safe to let it go to snow powder :-) The only issue - a lot of people walking around with small kids, cross-country skiiers as well. The flight zone is about 100m*200m, it is enough for even large balsa sport planes.

The photo with pilot inside was took prior crash. Propeller and spinner were broken, pilot separated, cowl and gear-to-fuselage joint were damaged too. Then I repaired it and did a maiden flight.

S-Python is about 1m wingspan and also made of EPO. It is not mine bird. It has mixed ailerons and elevator to control pitch (elevator is down, ailerons are up and vice versa), it flies very nice. The only thing I would remark is material quality and assembly quality - S-Python seems to be stiffer and stronger than Yak. That's why I have to do some reinforcement to cowl-to-fuselage joint, canopy-to-fuselage joint and gears-to fuselage joint.

Regards,
Andrey
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:09 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Some news. Upgraded my Yak with NTM-4248 650KV and 15*8 TGS Sport prop.
As result weight is 2570g with proper CoG without extraweight in the cowl. 57A @ full throttle (4S3700mAh 25C) and about 3kg or even more in flight (tried hovering and vertical then - no problem, but not as true 3D-plane do).

I believe this setup is optimal for the stock Yak - replacing motor and propeller only will give you good thrust-to-weight ratio, reasonalbe flying weight, CoG, current and flight time.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 04:42 AM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Another news...Here are some photos of my Yak in the sky

Now the winter is over so I'm looking forward to summer flights...
I upgraded my Yak with 16x8 APC-E prop and received about 3.8kg of thrust in static @70A. It still weighs about 2.6kg.
Also I replaced gears a bit forward to avoid nose-down issue on landing
Old May 12, 2013, 09:44 AM
fvega
United States, VA, Newport News
Joined Jul 2007
8 Posts
what control throws are most using?
fvega is offline Find More Posts by fvega
Old May 14, 2013, 05:26 AM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
I use 100% rates in flight (sometimes 120%) and ~30% during take-off and landing.

Here are some videos:

Take-off:
Радиоуправляемая модель Як-54 на взлете... (1 min 8 sec)

Landing:
Посадка радиоуправляемого Як-54 (2 min 4 sec)
Old Aug 06, 2013, 01:36 PM
Russia, Moscow
Joined Nov 2007
291 Posts
Hello guys, i have just unpacked my E-DO MODEL Yak 54 wich i bought from throttlestore.com more than 2 years ago, and i have a lot of questions. First of, as funny as it may sound, i cant take the canopy part off the fuselage. From the pictures i've seen in the original post it seems there should just be a couple of magnets holding it in place, but the damn canopy seems to be cemented to the fuselage, i cant open it without putting in so much force that the foam starts to break, it seems like there is a latch or something inside, or that it is bolted somehow, but i see no ways of opening the latch or where i can acces the bolts. Do you have any suggestions? Also i wonder if there's a manual to this plane somewhere on the internet, to take the guesswork out of the build. I also wonder if anyone have any info on the power system throttlestore.com puts in it, as it said on the website that the power system is upgraded, and it came to me with a 6s battery and pretty big motor with 5mm shaft and no markings whatsoever and a big ESC , so i wonder if this power system has been tested by somebody and if it is safe and adequate for the plane or not. I would also like to know what glue is best to use in this build, i guess its better to go with epoxy since the load on the joints will be big, but maybe there are better options?

Thanks in advance to every reply, i'm very sorry in advance if my questions have already been answered in this thread but i just dont have the time to read all the 30 pages of it.
Shift is offline Find More Posts by Shift