Old Oct 30, 2014, 05:53 PM
JrV
I am dangerous!
United States, NH
Joined Oct 2007
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark622 View Post
Took her out this evening in some wind, no video this time as my video man was playing at his friend's house lol. Anyways, for some weird reason it wanted to go to the right pretty badly, trimmed it out with some rudder trim, so I'll have to investigate that. Even with the wind and the rudder issue, I got brave and did some aileron rolls. Definitely a different plane with significant wind. Proud to say I greased another landing without over shooting it this time. Gotta say my biggest worry about flying this big plane was the landings, but so far I am 2 for 2 in the landing department.
The Apprentice should help instill confidence with landings as she settles in very nicely. On the rudder trim, check to make sure your servo is centering properly. My original suffered from the servo sticking slightly to the left every once and a while, and lazy me just manually would kick a little right rudder to center it and I believe it locked up mid flight and caused a brownout to the AR500 which takes forever to reboot, and in she went. Lost control and she spiraled in to the woods. I tried everything especially getting off the sticks but control I did not have.

I missed her and almost three months after the crash someone at my club found the wing, but the fuse has still not been recovered. I even spent about six hours across two days looking but never found even a trace. Heard it go in and was not far from runway at club, but this plane wanted to rid me of being its owner due to lack of maintenance. For some reason I liked my original over the Apprentice S. Still wanted to do a investigation as to what really happened but can't do that without a plane.
JrV is offline Find More Posts by JrV
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2014, 04:53 PM
Joined Sep 2014
20 Posts
I have 5 flights on the Apprentice, getting ready for #6. The clevis for the wheel broke on the fifth flight, even though it was a smooth landing, got it fixed up.
mark622 is offline Find More Posts by mark622
Old Nov 01, 2014, 05:53 PM
SUCK LESS
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,567 Posts
Evidently there's a national shortage of S15e firewalls and nose gear arms & straps ... still no parts
FR4-Pilot is online now Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Old Nov 03, 2014, 11:54 AM
Joined Sep 2014
20 Posts
Went to a club field with my wife's cousin yesterday and got two more flights in. 1st flight of yesterday was super scary. I'm not sure what the deal is with this plane, but every flight is different with the trims, everything looks and acts fine on the ground, then when you get it up it is hope for the best lol. Almost crashed in that first flight, wanted to go HARD right and dive, so right after take off it got real scary, the corn field had not yet been harvested and my propeller mowed off the tassels of the corn for a few feet before I figured out what was wrong. Second flight was smooth as silk and actually my most enjoyable flight with the airplane.
Old Nov 03, 2014, 01:53 PM
SUCK LESS
Joined May 2009
3,567 Posts
Are all of the servos securely mounted? Make sure none of them move in their cutouts when you exercise them. On this plane they're only glued and/or taped in place.
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Nov 03, 2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2014, 03:04 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark622 View Post
Went to a club field with my wife's cousin yesterday and got two more flights in. 1st flight of yesterday was super scary. I'm not sure what the deal is with this plane, but every flight is different with the trims, everything looks and acts fine on the ground, then when you get it up it is hope for the best lol. Almost crashed in that first flight, wanted to go HARD right and dive, so right after take off it got real scary, the corn field had not yet been harvested and my propeller mowed off the tassels of the corn for a few feet before I figured out what was wrong. Second flight was smooth as silk and actually my most enjoyable flight with the airplane.
Also make sure you're using enough rubber bands on the wing to keep it tight.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Nov 03, 2014, 04:56 PM
Joined Sep 2014
20 Posts
Servos are secured, only problem I can think of is that I am not mounting the wing on perfectly straight, going to mark center lines so that wing lines up in same spot every time. I have been using 6 rubber bands, 2 on both sides and 2 diagonal.

Picked up a Hobbico Navistar balsa nitro with servos, but without motor and radio. Had a .46 engine, gonna do an electric conversion.... that's my winter project lol.
Last edited by mark622; Nov 03, 2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2014, 11:17 PM
United States, UT, Spanish Fork
Joined Aug 2014
3 Posts
Hello all Fellow aviators
I just bought an Apprentice 15e from a guy that had it since it was new in really great shape - bought it with the spekrum receiver and no controller - he had dropped it and broke the hi/lo rate switch, and wanted to much for it.
Can anyone get me the settings I would use to set it up on my DX6i and also how to bind it?
Thanks in advance
gooberGuz
GooberGuz is online now Find More Posts by GooberGuz
Old Nov 05, 2014, 01:09 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,011 Posts
Good choice in planes, Guz. Now, I hate to be the guy to say it, but did you check the manuals for that info? What we would type in here is already in them. And the exact programming that works on one plane can be wrong for another due to variations in the mechanical spots and such, not to mention you got it used. If you get stuck, then definitely ask. If you don't have the manuals, they can be downloaded from the Spektrum and E-flite websites. Search for Apprentice in the discontinued planes. Don't get the Apprentice S manual.

Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Nov 05, 2014, 10:17 AM
SUCK LESS
Joined May 2009
3,567 Posts
YES! A-Main has the firewall and nose gear strap parts - they're supposed to be here Friday ! 3rd try getting those parts. And, I joined a club last night - now I have a field that's 5 mins from work to fly during lunch Think I'm going to pick up some DuBro skiis ...

Guz, definitely become familiar with the available manuals first. Look in the DX6i's manual for basic radio setup and binding info. Check to see what receiver is in the plane (AR500, AR600, etc.) and look for that manual too. Then look in the Apprentice 15e manuals (older RTF or PNP versions) for verifying plane assembly, control surface directions and the like. Keep copies of all those manuals - you'll need them from time to time. All available on the websites Xmech2k mentioned. Normally these are included with the plane but since you bought it used you'll have to acquire them on your own. If you still need help then give a shout ...
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Nov 05, 2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2014, 04:54 PM
shoebean
Joined Nov 2014
3 Posts
awesome plane ! tons of lift, glides so nice, what a blast to have the confidence of a panic button, what i want to know is why is the cog different for the new s apprentice?
shoebean is offline Find More Posts by shoebean
Old Nov 09, 2014, 10:29 PM
SUCK LESS
Joined May 2009
3,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflypby View Post
The Apprentice S firewall fits perfect. Much improved over the original.
Okay - my new firewall & nose gear parts are installed, but the push-rod is now too short. Do I need the nose-wheel push-rod for the S15e (EFL310005) as well? Or did E-Flite move the rudder servo on the S15e to compensate for the nose wheel sitting further forward due to the S15e's firewall design ?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 02:36 AM
TreeTopFlyer
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Aug 2014
8 Posts
It takes the S pushrod. Sorry that I did not tell you that when you asked about the firewall but I have converted mine to conventional gear and just forgot.
iflypby is offline Find More Posts by iflypby
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:42 PM
SUCK LESS
Joined May 2009
3,567 Posts
No problem!
Thanks Iflypby for confirming, again
-John
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Nov 10, 2014 at 06:08 PM.