HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2014, 09:25 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Jul 2004
301 Posts
Build Log
Ff/tg f-100e epo

Ok not really needing to start a new build thread on this airframe because there has been a couple of really nice builds recently by EddieP ,4stripes and Wobisch but I'm sure that I'll have a few questions as well as contributions to the group. The first question is this I have the EPO version, I have added balsa to the leading,trailing edges and tips of the flying surfaces as well as the rudder, ailerons and flaps. Everything will be sanded down and as we all know the panel lines. The rest of the airframe well be filled with light weight spackling and it is now where the question comes in, with this being EPO do I really need to glass it ????? Now I Always glass my EPS airframes because they dent if you look at it the wrong way and it needs it for strength . So what do I need to do glass or no glass ??? Thanks...Don
Low Show is online now Find More Posts by Low Show
Last edited by Low Show; Nov 15, 2014 at 01:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2014, 07:37 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,142 Posts
When you sand EPO it will make a fuzzy surface which would likely look bad with paint. I just lived with the panel lines to keep it light and it still comes out over 4kg.
It is pretty strong but I did add a CF spar when joining the wing halves.
Personally I would rather have a light plane that flies better than a FG plane weighing more with reduced performance. When it flies by at 20 feet, it still looks fantastic.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:43 AM
Joined Jul 2004
301 Posts
I hear ya, I wiped down the whole airframe with acetone to remove the paint and to get a good base to start things off, a funny thing happened it took the paint off very nicely but also smoothed out the for the lack of a better description the Cell Dimples, what I'm trying to describe is what EPO looks like if left out in the sun painted a dark color. We have all seen it on the anti-glare panel in the cockpit inside the canopy. As I said after wiping/rubbing down the surface it was smooth, these dimples were not everywhere but in a few places that I was going to need to sand and we all know that sanding is the last thing you want to do with EPO. I have found that with the primer/filler followed up with sanding with 200 grit it knocks out the fuzzys. The finish will be a replication of one of the birds out of Phu Cat AB, a Misty FAC going to try to get to turn out to look some thing like what is below. Thanks for any and all input ......Stay tuned for more
Old Nov 15, 2014, 07:28 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,732 Posts
acetone eh! huh
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Nov 15, 2014, 08:42 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,682 Posts
I was told to use kerosene to wipe EPO down with to remove the paraffin.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:48 AM
Joined Jul 2004
301 Posts
Yeah Bob I'm sure that would work as well, I used the acetone based on the oder factor and was really suprized with the outcome. I guess as the saying goes ...Learn something new every day....Don
Old Nov 16, 2014, 01:17 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,833 Posts
What fan/motor combo? How many cells?
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Nov 16, 2014, 04:52 PM
Joined Jul 2004
301 Posts
Nothing nailed down yet but I know it will be a 90mm and will be 6 to 8s, 5000 mah. other than that not sure, doesn't need to be ballistic but would fly well at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle for good flight times i.e. also lowish amp draw but who doesn't. As always open to suggestions...Don