HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2014, 03:21 PM
Childlike Activity for Adults
United States, MA, Cummington
Joined Dec 2012
3,266 Posts
Mmon77- You are the Man!!!! Thanks for sharing.

I agree about those short flight times even with "warm" 600mAh batteries.

-17F Now as far as I can tell that would or should put you in the SYMA X1 "Hall of Fame" .

Some "professional types" could find such "for the sake of science" behavior sufficient reason for commitment to one of those "special" nice and quiet (usually ) hospital units I would disagree with those so misguided.

I do not worry about the cold outdoors as much as I do about the condensation that occurs once I bring my RC stuff indoors from cold weather outdoor flight activities.

I have a relatively cooler and drier room with lots of air circulation where I keep the RC aircraft hangar and my quad transport cooler that I use to transport everything to my airfield. My batteries I keep warm.

What I do/have done related to RC aircraft moisture proofing is probably "overkill" and symptomatic of something not related to RC stuff

Now that I have that clear electricians spray tape all my "problems" are solved and I can once again return to a world of "normalcy"

We'll see.

JB
jbrumberg is offline Find More Posts by jbrumberg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Improving Visibility
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2014, 03:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3,266 Posts
Sam-

I shattered Gemfan (plastic) props in temps down to 5F, but it was not due to the cold . I am sure the cold did not help. KK2.0 flight control boards, are ice and snow and crash resistant in these same temperatures. Motors and ESC's seem to withstand damage from ice and snow too as long as there is no physical damage.

This I have "proved" for the "sake of science" .

I do wonder about those CF and CF-plastic composite props in cold weather operation.

I never broke an X1 prop in the cold.

JB
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2014, 04:07 PM
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Apr 2013
2,074 Posts
Jay,

I've always flown with Gemfan plastic props,
only because I was never smart enough to upgrade from them,
and I've always had pretty decent luck..
Most of the time, they just bend, but, I've also had them turn to shrapnel..

The past 3 sets I've run, the blades have literally just come detached from the hub!
A few only hit small - I mean REALLY small branches from weeds,
and 1 came apart in mid-air! o_O

That's why I was starting to get a pit worried..

I recently switched over to HQ props, and they're a LOT stiffer..
I had a touch down in some tall-ish grass, and again, a blade just sheared off..

I don't get it.. I thought that maybe it was due to the cold?
I was flying in 40ish degree weather at the time..

Probably just coincidence..

X1 props.. Same here buddy!
I bent, chipped, dinged up probably 24 of them,
but not once did one of them actually break..
DirtyDovi is offline Find More Posts by DirtyDovi
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2014, 05:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3,266 Posts
I have had the exact same experience with my HQProps as well They come brand new as better balanced than the stock Gemfan props, but more brittle. My HQProps were a CF-plastic composite mix which I believe was reason for the brittleness. Mine shattered in similar temperatures as well. Right now I am flying Gemfans again because that is what I had "matched" available.

This AM and couple of mornings ago my X1's/X1 props briefly tangled with some small twigs and/or branches while flying around/along my treeline. I was able to maintain control in flight without crashing. Upon landing, examination of the props showed no damages- not even a chip or dinger .

I have only bent one or 2 props in about two years following FFF into hard surfaces. X1 props are very robust. . As are the X1's.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2014, 10:59 AM
Joined Aug 2014
25 Posts
[QUOTE=DirtyDovi;29757152]J, you ask and you shall receive!

Syma X1 808 Cam Splash - Oops (1 min 56 sec)

I 'weather proofed' that quad with some spray on stuff
that was meant to be sprayed on tents, boots, etc..
Apparently it worked.. Just a few shakes, and it was back in the air..

Anyways, a trick that we're
Harbor also has the clear..

Hi guys,
My experience with the X1 is that you are way over concerned with weatherproofing. Several of my X1 have been submerged in various bodies of water ( ponds, ditches, bird baths, bucket of water, etc) and all have survived with little more than shake the water off and keep flying and later put in front of a fan overnight. Also my X5c spent 5 weeks stuck at the top of tree and survived at least 5 long heavy drenching rainstorms. When the wind goddesses finally shook it out of the tree it powered right up and flies to this day. I did change the motors as the cans were starting to rust, but the motors were worn out and in need of replacing when it got stuck in the tree.
Mikenola is offline Find More Posts by Mikenola
Old Nov 09, 2014, 11:10 AM
Joined Dec 2012
3,266 Posts
Mikenola- Thanks for feedback from you experiences with water. The attraction of quadcopters to water appears very strong . I have an Alias still swimming with the fishes in FL.

JB
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2014, 06:52 PM
United States, OH, Ravenna
Joined Nov 2012
268 Posts
Help! My old X1 finally gave up and is now for spare parts, RIP!

I got my spare, one year old, never started up X1 out of the box and tried to bind it.

The light flashes slow about 3 times, then flashes fast, then flashes slow again. It won't bind to either radio. I've tried it with the radio from 2' to 10' away and it just won't bind.

Any suggestions?
Squall is online now Find More Posts by Squall
Old Nov 13, 2014, 05:27 PM
United States, OH, Ravenna
Joined Nov 2012
268 Posts
Never mind, got it fogured out
Squall is online now Find More Posts by Squall