HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:29 PM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,940 Posts
Help!
Hobby Partz motors/ESC's vs. Turnigy??

Hey, guys -- I will soon be putting together an E-flite Stick 25e and am looking for a motor. I want to put this plane on floats, so I am thinking I will go with the Power 32/4s lipo setup for more power. In an effort to reduce cost, I will most likely stick with my usually Turnigy brand motor. Looks like the Turnigy 42-50 is very close to the Power 32:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...trunner_/_720W

But, someone suggested this motor from HobbyPartz:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/monsterpow...ess-motor.html

Any comments on which one is better? Are the HP motors any more efficient or are these basically the same motor? I see the size specs are identical.

Also, any comments on the HP brand of ESC's? I see their Exceed brand 60A is very similar in specs to the Turnigy 60A and is a little cheaper. Anyone have experience as to which is better?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/volcano-se...hless-esc.html

Thanks!
Garret
Garret H is offline Find More Posts by Garret H
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:39 PM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,940 Posts
Anybody?
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:19 AM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,165 Posts
I have the Gold 42-50 600Kv and it seems to run well. I did a bench test with it on 4S with one of the Hobby King 3-blade sport props (12x8.5) and it generated a whopping 6.5lb of thrust / 735 watts at 49A peak. So it's a powerhouse of a motor and some run these on 5S no issues. As with all Turnigy motors, you have to read reviews carefully as some of the motors have demag issues. This one seems OK.

I have been running a 35-42 1100 in my Super Sportster for several months now and am happy with that motor.

I had my doubts about these motors given the price and my preference for E-Flite Power series motors, but they are in fact good performers. I think the key with all the TGY stuff is to operate it well within spec. It's not like an ARC or a Neu motor where you can run the thing all day at 2 or 3x the nominal wattage with no issues. And, read those reviews on Hobby King...

ESCs: Turnigy Plush, Volcano, and Hobbywing Pentium are the same ESCs - and they run circles around the E-Flite crap ESCs at 1/3 the price. The 40A and 60A in particular are bulletproof and will run at 1.5x their rated power if necessary. Not recommended on any ESC of course, but these can do it without shutting down. There are other names under which these are sold - I forget what they are.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Last edited by TTRotary; Aug 11, 2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:23 AM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,940 Posts
Yep, I hear ya' -- I run a ton of Turnigy motors (all different sizes) and really like them. I run all kinds of HK products and have really experienced very few problems over the years. All their lipos, esc's, servos, motor, etc. are working great for me.

I think I will stick with the Turnigy 42-50 -- seems like a good match for the EF Stick 25e. I may give one of those HobbyPartz motors a try in the future though... Although I think they are identical to the Turnigy line...

Thanks,
Garret
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:30 AM
AMA #535918
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2006
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret H View Post

Also, any comments on the HP brand of ESC's? I see their Exceed brand 60A is very similar in specs to the Turnigy 60A and is a little cheaper. Anyone have experience as to which is better?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/volcano-se...hless-esc.html

Thanks!
Garret
I'm fairly sure the Volcano esc's are the same as the Turnigy. I use a Turnigy programming card with my Volcano 80a.
vegasbs is offline Find More Posts by vegasbs
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:38 AM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,940 Posts
OK, thanks -- that is what I figured!

Garret
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:44 AM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,165 Posts
Just spent some time on the hobbypartz page and the motors, escs, and batteries look to me like the same stuff HK sells. The advantage is that you can actually return defective stuff to hobbypartz. Their prices are a bit more, but not that much more. Problem is they are totally out of stock on lipos.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:55 AM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,940 Posts
Yep, that is what I determined. The motor specs, accessories, and appearance all are identical to the same size Turnigy's -- the price is very close too. The same applies for the speed controls. But, it seems like everything is out of stock! I tried to order some batts a while back and they were all out -- and, the ESC's are out too!

Garret
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 11, 2010, 08:28 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2009
705 Posts
Garrett, the Turnigy 35-48-- series motors would be better for a .25 size plane than the 42-50-- would, mostly because of the excess weight the plane will have with that large of a motor.
I run the SK 42-50-650 on my .60 size Ultra Stick on 6S, spinning a 12X8E prop, it puts out 1135 Watts! That's a bit much for the smaller stick.
The SK 35-48-1000 is what I run on my Deuces Wild right now (normally the 42-50-650, but i'm experimenting with different setups), and I'm running them on 5S at about 780 Watts with no problems.
The lighter weight motor will be better for the .25 to keep the good flight characteristics IMHO.
speedy72vega is offline Find More Posts by speedy72vega
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:28 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
Anybody?
Garrret,

the Exceed volcano/proton speed controllers are identical to the Turnigy Plush line in every way except heat shrink and cable colors.

Both of these are actually Hobbywing Pentium controllers.

The hobbypartz Momentum line are exactly the same as the Turnigy K-Force line

Both of these are actually Hobbywing Platinum controllers.

Give the Exceed Monster Power 32 motor a try. The MP motors are really pretty decent and you can get them faster from California than Hong Kong.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:35 AM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy72vega View Post
Garrett, the Turnigy 35-48-- series motors would be better for a .25 size plane than the 42-50-- would, mostly because of the excess weight the plane will have with that large of a motor.
I run the SK 42-50-650 on my .60 size Ultra Stick on 6S, spinning a 12X8E prop, it puts out 1135 Watts! That's a bit much for the smaller stick.
The SK 35-48-1000 is what I run on my Deuces Wild right now (normally the 42-50-650, but i'm experimenting with different setups), and I'm running them on 5S at about 780 Watts with no problems.
The lighter weight motor will be better for the .25 to keep the good flight characteristics IMHO.
This is my quandary! Most people who have this plane are telling me to go with the Power 32 (or 42-50) with a 4s batt. A friend at my LHS who has this plane with a Power 25/3s setup said the same thing. Please take into account that I want to use floats, and the fact that I am 5,000 ft up -- do you think I should stick with the 25/4s setup? Looks like their is a 32g difference in weight between the two motors. Otherwise, each will require the same ESC, and I probably will need to use a 4s on both, correct?

Thanks!
Garret
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:48 AM
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
This is my quandary! Most people who have this plane are telling me to go with the Power 32 (or 42-50) with a 4s batt. A friend at my LHS who has this plane with a Power 25/3s setup said the same thing. Please take into account that I want to use floats, and the fact that I am 5,000 ft up -- do you think I should stick with the 25/4s setup? Looks like their is a 32g difference in weight between the two motors. Otherwise, each will require the same ESC, and I probably will need to use a 4s on both, correct?

Thanks!
Garret
the difference in weight is 1.1 oz. Barely noticable at all for that stick.

Since you want to fly off water, 4s is a minimum cell count.

Go for the Monster Power 32 on a larger 4s pack, with something like an APC 13x6.5 prop since flying off water wants alot of low end grunt/thrust to get on plane and not just drag the floats in the water added to the thinner atmosphere at your location.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:56 AM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,940 Posts
That is what I was thinking and what others have told me. Unfortunately, everything under-performs up here! I think the 32 will be the right choice.

Do you have any idea if the Monster Power motors are more efficient than the Turnigy's? My friend has a TRGY 42-50 laying around, so I will probably use it and see if it works OK on the plane. I know my other Turnigy's really seem to suck the juice -- wondering if the MP motors are better??

Thanks!
Garret
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:04 AM
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
That is what I was thinking and what others have told me. Unfortunately, everything under-performs up here! I think the 32 will be the right choice.

Do you have any idea if the Monster Power motors are more efficient than the Turnigy's? My friend has a TRGY 42-50 laying around, so I will probably use it and see if it works OK on the plane. I know my other Turnigy's really seem to suck the juice -- wondering if the MP motors are better??

Thanks!
Garret
I can't and won't quote efficiencies.

Either one will be solid enough to provide your plane with enough power to get out of the water. Efficiencies at this level won't hardly matter.
In that, I mean who cares if a motor is 75% efficient, or 80% when flying laps around a lake..

For the money, go with the MP 32 and get it in a few days. If you have any issues with it, you get to ship back to California for the RMA versus HK.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:09 AM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,940 Posts
Very true....

The reason I ask is because of my experience with larger Turnigy motors. I love the motors, but they seem to suck the juice at this altitude! I have a Fliton Extra 260 with a 35-30 motor and 2200 3s pack. A guy on the forums (at sea level) said he gets over 10 minutes with this setup -- I barely get 6! The same thing applies for my E-flite Ultimate - on my setup, I get about 6 minutes...other guys with the same setup are getting 10 at lower elevations...

But, if I slap a 4s 3600 pack in this sucker, I don't think it will matter!

Thanks for your help,
Garret
Site Sponsor