SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2014, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by DimoX
Have Copter, Will Crash. :)
Joined Jul 2014
211 Posts
Question
V931 vs V977

Considering getting my first Collective Pitch chopper and was sort of musing between these two... The V931 and V977 ... both seem to have a similar brushless main motor... size and specs seem very very similar... sans the obvious differences (design of plastic exterior, and 3 main blades vs 2) ... and price... so was curious... if this were your first CP which would you folks recommend?...

On different scales I was even thinking the HoneyBee and Blade 200 SR X but those seemed pricier... and the blade is probably more expensive to maintain/repair...

Other suggestions welcome too!
DimoX is offline Find More Posts by DimoX
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2014, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by Alex_63
V977, FBL80, V922, V911 (4)
Joined Oct 2013
101 Posts
I think V977 will be better for first CP heli. It's more durable, better to learn. 3-bladed main rotor head on V931 receives some vibrations, and its main gear is connected to the main shaft with a screw. So, it will broke after crashes.
I've got a V977 and I think that it's a very good heli.
Alex_63 is offline Find More Posts by Alex_63
Old Oct 07, 2014, 11:51 AM
Find More Posts by randycastell
HCP100, HCP80, HFP100, HFP80
Joined Jan 2014
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimoX View Post
Considering getting my first Collective Pitch chopper and was sort of musing between these two... The V931 and V977 ... both seem to have a similar brushless main motor... size and specs seem very very similar... sans the obvious differences (design of plastic exterior, and 3 main blades vs 2) ... and price... so was curious... if this were your first CP which would you folks recommend?...

On different scales I was even thinking the HoneyBee and Blade 200 SR X but those seemed pricier... and the blade is probably more expensive to maintain/repair...

Other suggestions welcome too!
I am also getting my first CP heli. After flying HFP100v1 and HFP80v1 and various other fixed pitch 'copters for 6 months or so, I have selected the HCP100 as my first victim. I made this choice based on price (about US$55 bnf at Banggood.com) and the most important fact that I have a transmitter from WLtoys that will control the HCP100 and the HCP80. Happy flying!
randycastell is offline Find More Posts by randycastell
Old Oct 07, 2014, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by bazsound
Joined Jun 2013
651 Posts
the v931 is almost identical to the v977. Uses same motor, servos board, motor, esc though im not so sure about but it could be the same.

Tail is different (cant comment as dont have one) aswell as obviously the head assembly and blade grips.

From videos ive seen and the reviews, it flys pretty much the same as the v977 though flight times are shorter (most likely due to the weight)

its also just as capable as the v977 at 3d. a few have said this seems to have a little more power which i suspect is due to the blades. the v931 blades do fit the v977 and i think they provide just a bit more lift however ive found it harder to turn the heli on its axis (like for flips or rolls) as the heli takes of in the direction its tilted sooner.

anyway as others have said this might break more easilu due to the canopy more weight and fixed main gear.

one thing to do though is the servo saver mod, ive broke a servo in 1 months flying.
bazsound is offline Find More Posts by bazsound
Old Oct 07, 2014, 12:37 PM
Joined Jun 2013
651 Posts
the v931 is almost identical to the v977. Uses same motor, servos board, motor, esc though im not so sure about but it could be the same.

Tail is different (cant comment as dont have one) aswell as obviously the head assembly and blade grips.

From videos ive seen and the reviews, it flys pretty much the same as the v977 though flight times are shorter (most likely due to the weight)

its also just as capable as the v977 at 3d. a few have said this seems to have a little more power which i suspect is due to the blades. the v931 blades do fit the v977 and i think they provide just a bit more lift however ive found it harder to turn the heli on its axis (like for flips or rolls) as the heli takes of in the direction its tilted sooner.

anyway as others have said this might break more easilu due to the canopy more weight and fixed main gear.

one thing to do though is the servo saver mod, ive broke a servo in 1 months flying.
Old Oct 07, 2014, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by FyreSG
新加坡的飞儿
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
5,992 Posts
A bus is harder to drive than a small car.

I have both and they fly very differently due to obvious reasons. V931 has a larger, heavier battery, a less aerodynamic heavy fuselage, and a heavy triple-blade metal rotor head assembly. Therefore, V977 has quicker cyclic response and easier to fly. V931 feels more lethargic, has more inertia and that makes it harder to fly. V931 is also much less forgiving to pilot errors. You need to be more careful when flying V931. Lastly, if you do crash it, it's gonna break more badly than V977. All that additional weight not only makes it harder to control, but also cause more forceful impact, resulting in breaking more parts.

Choosing V931 instead of V977 as your first CP is a bad idea.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Oct 08, 2014, 01:57 AM
Joined Jun 2013
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
I have both and they fly very differently due to obvious reasons. V931 has a larger, heavier battery, a less aerodynamic heavy fuselage, and a heavy triple-blade metal rotor head assembly. Therefore, V977 has quicker cyclic response and easier to fly. V931 feels more lethargic, has more inertia and that makes it harder to fly. V931 is also much less forgiving to pilot errors. You need to be more careful when flying V931. Lastly, if you do crash it, it's gonna break more badly than V977. All that additional weight not only makes it harder to control, but also cause more forceful impact, resulting in breaking more parts.

Choosing V931 instead of V977 as your first CP is a bad idea.
ah thats what i thought but im sure i read someone say that the v931 had more punch and does tighter flip. Im not sure where i read that. Didnt think it made sense as its obviously heavier.

you are a pretty good pilot :-)

I saw some of your videos of both the v977 and v931
Old Oct 08, 2014, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by DimoX
Joined Jul 2014
211 Posts
V977 & Honey Bee & etc! :)

Thanks @Alex_63 @randycastell @bazsound and @FyreSG for the detailed breakdown and observations regarding the flight characteristics of these two birds You guys paint a very clear picture about how one would fare v.s. the other!

It makes sense that a bus would fly differently than a car... I realized that when I first jumped from a v911 to an MJX F49... the very very... very... hard way! hahah

The V977 looks like a winner... any thoughts on the V977 v.s. the Esky Honey Bee V2 6CH CCPM RC ? I noticed some people recommended this on a different thread here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...n#post29506028 that I started inquiring about flying in the rain!
Old Oct 08, 2014, 05:59 PM
新加坡的飞儿
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
5,992 Posts
V931 and V977 have 6G mode, that Esky thing does not. 6G mode is like training wheels for bicycles. Use that to learn and gain confidence. When you're ready, disable it and fly like a "real man". Or you could remain in 6G mode forever (if you decide never to do 3D moves).
Old Oct 08, 2014, 06:53 PM
Find More Posts by norcalheli
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,815 Posts
"That Esky thing" is almost twice as big as either the v931 or the V977! It also has a 90 degree flybar, which means it is NOT self-stabilizing. Not at all! However, it is rugged, and, if you can fly the HB, you can fly any size CP you want. Not too many years ago it was the de facto trainer for single rotor helis.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Oct 14, 2014, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by DimoX
Joined Jul 2014
211 Posts
Yikes good to know!

@norcalheli Sounds very challenging! Does the Honey Bee CP3 or V2 not have an onboard gyro that can be enabled/disabled?

CP3 I was looking at:
http://www.esky-heli.com/rc-helicopt...ed-002437.html

and V2:
http://www.esky-heli.com/rc-helicopt...ed-002435.html
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:09 AM
新加坡的飞儿
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
5,992 Posts
On flybarless helis like V977 and V931, there is a tail gyro and a "cyclic gyro" (so to speak). On flybarred CPs like the Esky CP helis, there is only the tail gyro. The "cyclic gyro" equivalent on such helis is the 90-degree flybar. You tune its "stabilizing strength" by adjusting the length of the paddles. Back in those days while I still had my flybarred 450, it was not fun tuning the more complicated flybarred rotor head. The amount of mechanical fine-tuning is a lot. I'm extremely glad I converted my 450 to flybarless. From my laptop, I can fine-tune the cyclic gyro wirelessly via Bluetooth.

If you're referring to disabling the onboard tail gyro, then yes, you could. Just tune down the tail gyro gain from your transmitter to 0, and it will be disabled. I've tried to fly my 450 with a disabled tail gyro and it was tough. Try Rate Mode instead of completely disabling the tail gyro.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 06:02 PM
Find More Posts by norcalheli
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,815 Posts
The HoneyBee's only have a tail gyro. That's why they are so challenging to learn to fly. The flybar helps to dampen control inputs, but only helps, unlike a 3-axis gyro that can be set to be pretty docile if you want. E-Sky has definitely made huge improvements in the ruggedness of the frame and landing gear. The CP-2 I learned on had 2.5 mm carbon fiber rod for the frame and the landing gear. One of the first fixes everyone learned was to wrap your broken landing gear leg with cotton thread, then soak it with CA. Otherwise you needed at least two sets of gear in reserve.

Like I said earlier, I learned on the CP-2, but would not do it again today, not with all the choices you have. The CP-2 had low headspeed, so the control response was sluggish, and it wasn't until I got a Spektrum DX7 and converted the CP-2 to use a Spektrum receiver that I was able to fine tune the response so that I could learn to hover. I actually needed negative expo to get the heli to respond to my inputs quick enough to fly it. Now, they may have improved it with the CP-3, but it still has the 370 brushed motor, so it probably still has a relatively low headspeed. For learning to fly CP helis I would be more likely to go to one of the many micro FBL choices available. It just makes more sense.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:05 PM
Find More Posts by DimoX
Joined Jul 2014
211 Posts
@FyreSG Thanks for the detailed info on the different types of gyros, it inspired to research a bit further to see what the actual different types and modes are... tail, heading lock, and so on. I also better understood the impact flybar setup has on type of flight!

@norcalheli I gotcha! So then given the options today, you would not go the same route. But it was an awesome route back then, and it involved alot of tough love! A few people from another thread recommended the honey bee series for flying in rain! so it definitely piqued my curiosity!

Well... I caved... and just ordered this beast from banggood... kinda anxious... my first 6ch CP chopper!...
It kinda sucks that the weather's going to be primarily rainy for the next few months... wonder if I should risk flying it in rain/drizzle...
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:23 AM
Find More Posts by Whitehouse
Joined Jan 2015
50 Posts
The V977 is going to be more crash friendly. Probably not rain friendly.

http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V977-...5346232014041X
Whitehouse is offline Find More Posts by Whitehouse