New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2010, 09:50 PM
Find More Posts by bfaulguy
United States, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
430 Posts
Discussion
Corrosion X for waterproofing electronics?

I just got a can of this stuff today to waterproof my servos, esc, and rx with. I did spray some on some scrap cardboard just to see what it's like..man I dunno, it doesn't dry, and just seems like it's a petroleum based penetrating lubricant, like WD40 or something. I'm afraid it will damage my electronics, there's something unnatural about spraying circuitry with something liquid like this. I got the plain Corrosion X in the red can, should I have gotten the Aviation version instead? Anyone had any issues with it?
bfaulguy is offline Find More Posts by bfaulguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:00 PM
Find More Posts by ashdec87
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,104 Posts
nope, that's what it does. Forms an oily coating on the electronics to keep the water away. And it works VERY well. I once flipped my SS and with all electronics under water, including the esc. I gently used the prop to paddle to shore.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Feb 16, 2010, 02:59 PM
Find More Posts by Toppers
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfaulguy View Post
I just got a can of this stuff today to waterproof my servos, esc, and rx with. I did spray some on some scrap cardboard just to see what it's like..man I dunno, it doesn't dry, and just seems like it's a petroleum based penetrating lubricant, like WD40 or something. I'm afraid it will damage my electronics, there's something unnatural about spraying circuitry with something liquid like this. I got the plain Corrosion X in the red can, should I have gotten the Aviation version instead? Anyone had any issues with it?
Yup, it really does work.

I dipped (100% submerged) my AR6200 and satelite and ESC in a jar of CorrosionX for an hour. Leave it to drip and dry for a day or two... all works perfectly and 100% water protected now.

NOTE - many threads advise AGAINST using CorrosionX on Servos.
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:24 PM
Find More Posts by crash-rc
Garry
Tumble weed country Eastern Washington
Joined Aug 2004
530 Posts
There is an other product that does the same thing but with out the oily mess and does not stain clothing and things like Corrosion X does, it is called Corrosion Block athttp://www.nocorrosion.com. I called and talked to them on the phone and I think the 4oz pump can would work better than the 12oz spray as the spray foams and the pump can doesn't. I am ordering some the first of the month will let everyone know how it works, I waspretty much garranteed that I could drowned my ESC and other electronic and not burn them up.
crash-rc is offline Find More Posts by crash-rc
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by bfaulguy
United States, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
430 Posts
What about connectors? Do I need to shield them when spraying the Corrosion X? I ask because if it's not conductive, you'd think there would be issues with losing power to your servos/esc/switch harness, etc.
bfaulguy is offline Find More Posts by bfaulguy
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:59 PM
Find More Posts by crash-rc
Garry
Tumble weed country Eastern Washington
Joined Aug 2004
530 Posts
I have never sheilded them, I don't quite know how it works but I have taken the receivers out of the case and then soaked them pins and all, then put back into case and used with no problem. I took a mayo jar and put a small hole in the lid then inserted the spray tube for the spray can into it then emptied the can, then plugged hole now I soak ESC and receivers in the jar overnight completly submerged. Seems to work better than just spraying them, I have burned up a couple of ESC after just spraying. I haven't lost an ESC since going to the soak method, just don't like the smelly oilyness of the Corrosion X but it does work.
crash-rc is offline Find More Posts by crash-rc
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by kingsflyer
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,344 Posts
Check this link to see how CorrosionX works. The oily stuff is only part of the story.

http://corrosionxproducts.com/howcxworkspage.htm

Here are some of its listed uses.

http://corrosionxproducts.com/corrosionxpage.htm

I use CorrosionX on all my connectors. Not so much to keep the contacts clean, but to keep the ends of the wires from corroding. The CorrosionX wicks into the wires and even goes a little way under the insulation to protect the wires and keep out any moisture.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by IAMAN
Madison Ms
Joined Aug 2002
93 Posts
I have seen CorrosionX product demo in person. The presenter has an aquarium full with a television submerged in it and playing video. Very high dielectric strength.
IAMAN is offline Find More Posts by IAMAN
Old Mar 28, 2010, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by gtrrr
Joined Dec 2009
15 Posts
Few questions

I just gota can of Corrosion X Aviation, and I have a couple of questions for those of you who use it:
- Do you have to apply it to all your electronics once in a while? Or would doing it once be enough? If it needs to be done periodically, how often?
- I read here that you guys are using it on your connectors. Would it not coat the pins and affect (or stop) their connectivity?
- A finally, if it doesn't damage connectors, would it be best to just submerge all the electronics in it for couple of hours and let them dry for a day?

I would appreciate any feedback
gtrrr is offline Find More Posts by gtrrr
Old Mar 28, 2010, 06:11 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
18,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrrr View Post
I just gota can of Corrosion X Aviation, and I have a couple of questions for those of you who use it:
- Do you have to apply it to all your electronics once in a while? Or would doing it once be enough? If it needs to be done periodically, how often?
- I read here that you guys are using it on your connectors. Would it not coat the pins and affect (or stop) their connectivity?
- A finally, if it doesn't damage connectors, would it be best to just submerge all the electronics in it for couple of hours and let them dry for a day?

I would appreciate any feedback
Did you do a search on the product in this forum. Your questions have been asked and answered many times.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Apr 03, 2010, 05:32 PM
Find More Posts by KingJoe
USA, MI, New Baltimore
Joined Jan 2009
43 Posts
I know frist hand it works great. I was learning how to fly off water, and I was not realy that good off of land. I was stuffing it all the time. Had reciver Dbl. wrapped but I was taking out ESC's left and right. Started using Corrosion X, AND NO MORE PROBLEMS.
I also know it works on recivers as well. It was latter in the day, and I had a noito plane up when it went past me I turned and it was right in the sun.
I had the plane coming back at me, but I was inverted, and thought I was upright. You know the rest.
Went up to retrive what was left of the plane, and saw the light on the AR7000 was still on underwater. For kicks I moved the servoes, and they cycled.
I will not fly without it.
It is available in the 16oz trigger spray,(under $20.00 at your door) so you can soak things and put it back in the container.
I had also had problems with a DX7 trim swich.
Did not want to send it in to horizon, but it was the one that worked the throtle servo to shut off.
I put of on top and worked the switch and after 1-2 min, it was working fine.
I took the back of my DX7 off, applied it to a Q-tip, and treated everything.
It says on the container it is safe for circuit boards.
i wish I had discovered this stuff years ago.
KingJoe is offline Find More Posts by KingJoe
Old Apr 03, 2010, 08:24 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,344 Posts
I recently used CorrosionX to treat a Futaba 6EXA TX that was left at the field overnight in a driving rainstorm. Naturally it was laying flat on its back so it caught a lot of water. I opened up the TX and poured out the water, lifed out each PC board and soaked the inside of the TX with CorrosionX. Drained out the excess CX and put it back together. Turned it on and it came up working. It's still working great with no ill effects except for a couple of drops of CX showing on the inside of the window over the LCD display.

Yesterday I used CorrosionX to clean up a Makita cordless impact that spent two days at the bottom of the lake after my contractor's 10 year old son slipped on the dock and dropped the drill. I opened up the drill, blew off most of the water with compressed air, and soaked the electronics and motor with CorrosionX. After draining off the excess CX, I put it back together and it worked just like new.

If you can't tell, I'm sold on CorrosionX!! It works for me.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2010, 12:53 AM
Find More Posts by pinball
USA, AK, Soldotna
Joined Jan 2005
562 Posts
I've been looking for a way to make my mamba max and monster escs water resistant. I ordered a bottle of the red corrosionx. Before trying it on my expensive speed controllers I decided to try it on an old receiver in my vxl rustler. I completely submerged the rx and let it soak for an hour. Then I let it drip dry for another hour. I've ran it twice now through snow and a few puddles, mostly small puddles on my road but I did try waterskipping twice across a larger puddles. After two battery packs of this I have noticed a reduction in range and the rx has locked up breifly a couple times.

I had high hopes for this stuff but if it can't protect an old cheap 27mhz receiver how can I trust it with an expensive esc?
Did I do something wrong in the application process or am I just the exception to all the succes stories I've read?

Thanks for any advice.
pinball is offline Find More Posts by pinball
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:32 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,344 Posts
I'm not sure why your range has been reduced. I've not had that kind of problem with any of my RX's. I've treated many of my Spektrum AR7000s, AR6200s, AR6100s, and AR500s without any problems. I've also treated many CC ESCs and will be treating my new CC ICE 100 ESC.

I've used the aerosol product and soaked the items and then let them drain before use. I can't see any problem with dipping and soaking them. I'm about to reorder more CorrosionX and will be ordering the non-aerosol product this time.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2010, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by 800mZero
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
used it on servos reviervers and esc's--about to use it again to get some flooded parts clean-----never had any issues only side effect was worry free float flying!
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero