Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by geh458
United States, NM, Los Lunas
Joined Jun 2014
8 Posts
Help!
New Multihull Build

Hi All,

I'm about to start the build of a Firedragon, a Trimaran from rcsails.com. I've a handle on building the hulls, but, I need some more guidance. I’ve never built a rig from scratch and the fellow that was going to help me up and moved. So, I could use some help determining all aspects of the “A” rig I need to build, and then I can figure out the “B” rig specs. My "A" rig mainsail has a luff of 1997mm and a foot of 438mm, While the jib has a luff of 1587mm and a foot of 371mm. The only thing I know so far is that my main-sheet will be 300mm from the mast, as this will allow me to put all the running rigging below deck between the bulkheads. The other measurement I know is that the jib tack will be 300mm from the mast center (1/2” mast). What I don’t know is length of both booms, and the proper place for the fittings on the jib boom, and attachment points on the mast above the gooseneck/vang assembly. There will a set of side shrouds, no backstay. Also, I’ll be using a two-piece mast (1/2” carbon fiber) and I’ve been given two different comments regarding ferrules. One person say to use an internal ferrule, while the other tells me the mast could snap off with an internal ferrule, and to use an external one. The issue I see with the external ferrule is in making my luff loops.

These are the boom kits I ordered: http://www.sailsetc.com/downloads/BO...-M-CF-1210.pdf
This is the jib boom swivel I want to use: http://sailsetc.com/magento/index.ph...om-swivel.html
This is the gooseneck/vang I’ll be using: http://www.sailsetc.com/downloads/catfiles/catno10.pdf

And if it matters, I’ll be using an RMG winch with a self-tensioning drum.

Thanks, and I hope you guys can help.

Gifford
geh458 is offline Find More Posts by geh458
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by DLord
United States, FL, Cocoa Beach
Joined Jan 2010
695 Posts
Mast/ ferrules

Use an internal ferrule designed for the mast section. I've made many two piece masts using tubes from Rock West Composites and the ferrules they match to the tube size. Good Luck with the build!
DLord is offline Find More Posts by DLord
Old Jul 27, 2015, 01:50 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
I would contact the manufacturers of the boat for the sail plan. (btw, It appears from the photos of your proposed boat that it uses a swing rig, which is not consistent with the parts you are ordering). The good news is you found sails etc. and they are as good as you can get. Besides parts, they also make sails. I would suggest you get in touch with them, let them build your sails and send you an approprite swing rig kit which will contain all your needed parts and building directions. Also try to reach out to Dick L. who posts here a lot, he is the resident knowledge source for things multihull...finally, the rmg self tensioning drum can be a little tricky. For a first build it might be better to use the standard drum. ..good luck....
Tom Corbett is offline Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Old Jul 27, 2015, 03:45 PM
Joined Jun 2014
8 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for your input, but I tried a swing rig on my RG65 and didn't like so I went back to a conventional setup. The plans for the new boat include setups for both swing and conventional mast box and centerboard, so I'm staying with a conventional setup. And I did ask the group building my kit for help with a conventional rig, but they were unable to help, as all of their own boats have swing rigs. As for sails, I had Rod Carr make me "A" and "B" suits.

And hopefully Dick will chime in with his advice. Also, I did just get some good info from a fellow in Australia that has this same boat with a conventional rig. and his last email answered some of my questions, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corbett View Post
I would contact the manufacturers of the boat for the sail plan. (btw, It appears from the photos of your proposed boat that it uses a swing rig, which is not consistent with the parts you are ordering). The good news is you found sails etc. and they are as good as you can get. Besides parts, they also make sails. I would suggest you get in touch with them, let them build your sails and send you an approprite swing rig kit which will contain all your needed parts and building directions. Also try to reach out to Dick L. who posts here a lot, he is the resident knowledge source for things multihull...finally, the rmg self tensioning drum can be a little tricky. For a first build it might be better to use the standard drum. ..good luck....
Old Jul 27, 2015, 03:48 PM
Joined Jun 2014
8 Posts
Thanks,

I have both ferrules, so I'll try the internal one first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord View Post
Use an internal ferrule designed for the mast section. I've made many two piece masts using tubes from Rock West Composites and the ferrules they match to the tube size. Good Luck with the build!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 06:37 PM
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,774 Posts
@ geh458:

May want to drop Rowland at RCSAILS.com an email and ask him for mast and boom dimensions. Will save a bunch of time and be faster and more accurate than trying to "guess",
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 01:18 PM
Joined Jun 2014
8 Posts
Thanks Dick. My boat kit is on its way to me, somewhere in New York City, apparently waiting for US Customs to scan it. There's supposed to be a sail plan included and hopefully it will have these dimensions, so I'll wait a bit longer on contacting Roland. The other option is to lay everything (mast, booms, sails) out on the work table, and go from there. My earlier post was an attempt to get a jump on things while I waited.

Gifford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
@ geh458:

May want to drop Rowland at RCSAILS.com an email and ask him for mast and boom dimensions. Will save a bunch of time and be faster and more accurate than trying to "guess",
Old Jul 30, 2015, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,774 Posts
A large, flat table, some masking tape and straight edge and a roll of "butcher paper" - or paper to prevent floor scratches during home remodeling/construction. Just roll out the length, assemble your mast and boom on top and mark the top (head) and the bottom (tack) by mast book gooseneck location. Then mark the clew at bottom, back edge of sail and connect the top to each of the points. Add a bit of roundness to the bottom of the sail (foot) and a nice, fair curve to the leech (trailing edge) and repeat for jib in similar manner.

You can use flat un-paneled sail to learn to sail, and then purchase or build a set of paneled sails for camber. Search for Claudio's Gadget for a slick way to build paneled sails.
Dick
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.