New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2014, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Wesley Chapel, NC, USA
Joined Mar 2002
105 Posts
Discussion
X-CAM A10 vs DYS Smart3 3-axis gimbal

Does anyone have any experience with the X-CAM 3 axis A10 Hero gimbal and can perhaps comment vs the DYS Smart gimbal?

Both cost around the same $$. The main physical differences of which I am aware are below (please correct if any are wrong!) but this doesn't inform me as to whether to pull the trigger on either one:

X-CAM + has 360 degree yaw ability, since it uses wiper contacts
X-CAM + or - (Pro or Con, depending on your view) - use their own, rather than AlexMos controller. Desktop software is available to update firmware, but not sure how frequently it will be updated, improved vs AlexMos which is more widely used.
X-CAM + gimbal motor wires hidden inside hollow support arms - cleaner look
X-CAM - seems slightly heavier than DYS

DYS + perhaps more established, at least there seem to be more people using it on RCG and more distributors selling it
DYS - seems that there are quite a few issues people struggle with
DYS + gimbal suspension has the rubber balls in compression, rather than tension, so less likely to fall out, no need to use zip-ties thru the rubber balls.
DYS - AlexMos 8 bit controller - is it really good enough or should wait for 32 bit?
RCAddiction is offline Find More Posts by RCAddiction
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2014, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by BASTHEBEAR
Joined Mar 2014
34 Posts
I have about the same question, Im had the DYS but Im looking for a better gimbal. Mine had some serious oscillations which I couldn't get rid of.
I like the way the x-cam has an av wire pre installed, it looks much cleaner than the DYS
BASTHEBEAR is offline Find More Posts by BASTHEBEAR
Old Nov 02, 2014, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Wesley Chapel, NC, USA
Joined Mar 2002
105 Posts
I ended up going with a used eBay Zenmuse H3-2D for slightly less than the cost of a new DYS. It is in perfect condition. The Zenmuse is well thought out, properly fits my F450 mounting points, and there's no futzing around to make it do its thing. Worked right the first time I put it in the air. Meets my modest needs. 3 axis is more than I need for goofing around A/P.

Oh, and it integrated perfectly with my Naza V2...
RCAddiction is offline Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Last edited by RCAddiction; Nov 02, 2014 at 01:24 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old Jan 06, 2015, 11:17 AM
Find More Posts by neavissa
Joined Oct 2004
2,468 Posts
I would like to see some more info on the X-CAM A10 as well, but I really cant find anything?!

G
neavissa is offline Find More Posts by neavissa
Old Jan 08, 2015, 04:01 AM
Find More Posts by tomye
Joined Jun 2006
212 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2320193
tomye is online now Find More Posts by tomye
Old Jan 08, 2015, 07:07 AM
Find More Posts by wtneo
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Dec 2013
169 Posts
I have ordered the x-can a10-3h and it should arrive in the mail the next few days or so. Will be mounting it to sky hero little spyder

Apparently the gimbal has mounting holes for phantom 2 hence i am hoping it will be a direct fit for the sky hero.

I have seen some sample videos - some of them have jello which maybe due to external factors (unbalanced props etc) but so far no jitters or jerks from those videos.

Will post a short review when I have my hands on it.
wtneo is offline Find More Posts by wtneo
Old Jan 11, 2015, 01:09 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,468 Posts
If you posted this link as a response to me asking for more information, I have to say that this is pretty lame! I do not need a Flyer to look at. I wanted some more information from user that have this gimbal...

G
Old Jan 11, 2015, 01:40 AM
Find More Posts by PAPE
Joined Jun 2012
468 Posts
nice video but please include some footage of how the gimbal reacts to rudder movments from the quad. Many gimbals sufer from horizon drift when the copter yaws.
PAPE is offline Find More Posts by PAPE
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:53 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPE View Post
nice video but please include some footage of how the gimbal reacts to rudder movments from the quad. Many gimbals sufer from horizon drift when the copter yaws.
I got mine yesterday and only did some indoor tests. Looks really solid. I was spinning around, on one spot, and when I finished a 360 the horizon was still level... it's that what you mean!?

G

P.s. hopefully I get a chance to mount it today or tomorrow and fly outside... I will post results asap...
Old Jan 15, 2015, 04:06 AM
Find More Posts by PAPE
Joined Jun 2012
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neavissa View Post
I got mine yesterday and only did some indoor tests. Looks really solid. I was spinning around, on one spot, and when I finished a 360 the horizon was still level... it's that what you mean!?

G

P.s. hopefully I get a chance to mount it today or tomorrow and fly outside... I will post results asap...
yes that is what I am woried about... horizon drift when turning
PAPE is offline Find More Posts by PAPE
Old Jan 15, 2015, 07:51 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPE View Post
yes that is what I am woried about... horizon drift when turning
Copy that. Like I said, it was fine when I made ONE 360 in the ground. No idea what happens when I do it in the air. Unfortunately, I am not able to test it in the air until this weekend...

I keep you posted...

G
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:58 AM
Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,989 Posts
I was looking to buy this gimbal but can't find anyone discussing it. Just a bunch of people on here selling it, YIKES!

Please do fill us in when you get a chance to test it

Edit: Looks like HobbyKing had a few in stock and I let the page sit for a minute and got it for $195. Although the shipping gets you but I should have it in a week or so I hope.
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Last edited by AeroVideoUS; Jan 16, 2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 06:14 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroVideoUS View Post
I was looking to buy this gimbal but can't find anyone discussing it. Just a bunch of people on here selling it, YIKES!

Please do fill us in when you get a chance to test it

Edit: Looks like HobbyKing had a few in stock and I let the page sit for a minute and got it for $195. Although the shipping gets you but I should have it in a week or so I hope.
Hey,

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to test is yet... but as soon I will, I let you know. BTW, I just checked and did not see that many for sale at all?!

G
Old Jan 16, 2015, 06:29 PM
Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neavissa View Post
Hey,

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to test is yet... but as soon I will, I let you know. BTW, I just checked and did not see that many for sale at all?!

G
Oh sorry... I meant when I did a google search for the gimbal there are a bunch of RCGroups in the results but most of them were once for sale and marked as sold. It was maybe 5 or so, I may have over exaggerated

Can't wait to see your results.

Paul
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Jan 16, 2015, 07:31 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroVideoUS View Post
Oh sorry... I meant when I did a google search for the gimbal there are a bunch of RCGroups in the results but most of them were once for sale and marked as sold. It was maybe 5 or so, I may have over exaggerated

Can't wait to see your results.

Paul
Ha ha, no problem. I can't wait to actually see for myself, how the Gimbal performs... hopefully I get a chance to do it tomorrow...

G