New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2015, 07:58 PM
Find More Posts by Mooney78865
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2015
42 Posts
Cured! Takeoffs were a non event as they are supposed to be. Vertical down lines are perfect with no pull to the canopy or belly. Moved on from CG trimming to tip weight, plane pulls level from the down line every time, no weight needed. Checked right thrust and up thrust as well. Seem close if not fine. Amazing how much you can accomplish when you are the only one flying and things are working well.
Pretty much spent the first battery( 8 min) on trimming maneuvers.
Flew the next two batteries doing the Intermediate sequence with the wife as a caller. Actually didn't do to bad considering it's the 6th, 7th, and 8th flight in 25 years. Even the wife got into the routine by the 3rd battery.
Need to work on centering and "flow" but feeling pretty damn good tonight. Even told the wife I wanted to build a 2 meter Vanquish. Didn't even roll her eyes!
Mooney78865 is offline Find More Posts by Mooney78865
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2015, 09:49 AM
Joined Apr 2015
42 Posts
So I have about 14 flights now and have what I think is a good setup. Flight times are 9 min with 25% remaining in the battery pack.
Turnigy SK3 5055 430 kv motor
Turnigy Brushless 85 amp ESC
Turnigy 5000 ma 6s 25c battery
Hitech 225 BB servos
APC 16x8 propeller.
CG is 185 mm behind the leading edge at the wing root.
I added about 1 deg of up thrust to the motor.
Battery compartment was modified to allow the battery to be moved back to the rear cockpit bulkhead to achieve CG.
I did install 2.5 inch wheels, but so far have maintained the stock landing gear. I'm flying off asphalt so once I repositioned the tail wheel the plane flies off nice and smooth with a nice gentle climb out. Landing is what you would expect with this type of plane, landing tail down and "dragging" it in.
Old Jun 02, 2015, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by Bedrock_66
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Apr 2014
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney78865 View Post
Cured! Takeoffs were a non event as they are supposed to be. Vertical down lines are perfect with no pull to the canopy or belly. Moved on from CG trimming to tip weight, plane pulls level from the down line every time, no weight needed. Checked right thrust and up thrust as well. Seem close if not fine. Amazing how much you can accomplish when you are the only one flying and things are working well.
Pretty much spent the first battery( 8 min) on trimming maneuvers.
Flew the next two batteries doing the Intermediate sequence with the wife as a caller. Actually didn't do to bad considering it's the 6th, 7th, and 8th flight in 25 years. Even the wife got into the routine by the 3rd battery.
Need to work on centering and "flow" but feeling pretty damn good tonight. Even told the wife I wanted to build a 2 meter Vanquish. Didn't even roll her eyes!
Hi - I am having the same issue with take off - a reluctance to do so! Our field is grassy and not that long and I have ended up in the long grass once already (which ripped off the u/c) I can get it off but only with max throws and then it rockets up. Any tips?
Bedrock_66 is offline Find More Posts by Bedrock_66
Old Jun 02, 2015, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by iqon
United Kingdom, England, Doncaster
Joined Jan 2013
49 Posts
As above, bigger wheels or undercarriage - it will alter angle of attack...
iqon is offline Find More Posts by iqon
Old Jun 03, 2015, 01:00 PM
Joined Apr 2015
42 Posts
What iqon says.
I lowered (closer to the fuse)the tail wheel and "adjusted" the stock landing gear by changing the angles on the mounting points and repositioning the angle for the wheel mountings on the stock gear legs. Now running stock wheels and a 16" prop with about a 1" narrower stance. Flys off great and no noticeable change in ground handling.
I've got about 30 flights on it so far and am pleased with the overall performance. The biggest complaint I have is that the throttle isn't very progressive. Little response below 1/2 throttle position on the stick. I have a Spektrum DX7s and it either does not, or I cant find a way to change the Expo on the throttle. ESC is set to "High" and normal start...... any thoughts?
Last edited by Mooney78865; Jun 03, 2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 09:58 PM
Joined Apr 2015
42 Posts
Well...I have about 45-50 flights on the Airoso and it has exceeded my expectations. I was looking for a inexpensive "pattern" plane to get back into the hobby, that would be a realistic performer. The Airoso has proven to be just that. I have been able to "knock" the "rust off" so to speak in my flying, as well as my trimming skills. The Airoso has proven to be a great platform to do just that. After much debating (WindS or MythoS and color)I ordered a MythoS this morning and should see it in a couple days. I truly enjoy the Airoso, it is a clean honest airframe and a fantastic value.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 08:42 AM
Find More Posts by RCBRUSKI65
United States, MI, Saginaw Charter Township
Joined Feb 2007
116 Posts
You need to set a throttle curve. I'm not sure how to on the 7s. Start by moving the 60% down to the 40% position. That should get it closer, and at least get some response below 1/2 throttle.
RCBRUSKI65 is offline Find More Posts by RCBRUSKI65
Old Jun 16, 2015, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by Da Big_G
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
579 Posts
Quote:
Well...I have about 45-50 flights on the Airoso and it has exceeded my expectations. I was looking for a inexpensive "pattern" plane to get back into the hobby, that would be a realistic performer. The Airoso has proven to be just that. I have been able to "knock" the "rust off" so to speak in my flying, as well as my trimming skills. The Airoso has proven to be a great platform to do just that. After much debating (WindS or MythoS and color)I ordered a MythoS this morning and should see it in a couple days. I truly enjoy the Airoso, it is a clean honest airframe and a fantastic value.
Yes, the Airoso is a bargain. One thing i did notice on my last Airoso (I'm on my third...don't ask ). The covering has a lot of trash like dust and such under the covering, and some hardware was missing. Seems they didn't blow off the raw structure before covering. Maybe it's a one time thing. I did by 2 when they were on sale for $116.00 each. Mooney, please report on the MythoS when you maiden it. Would be nice to see the comparison between the two.
Da Big_G is offline Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Jun 16, 2015, 02:53 PM
Joined Apr 2015
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Big_G View Post
Yes, the Airoso is a bargain. One thing i did notice on my last Airoso (I'm on my third...don't ask ). The covering has a lot of trash like dust and such under the covering, and some hardware was missing. Seems they didn't blow off the raw structure before covering. Maybe it's a one time thing. I did by 2 when they were on sale for $116.00 each. Mooney, please report on the MythoS when you maiden it. Would be nice to see the comparison between the two.
Mine was free from dust and such under the covering and only missing a couple items of hardware. Other than chasing wrinkles (still) it's been a great plane. I have no regrests. And since most if not all of the short falls with it are addresed in this thread, it's was a no brainer.
And I will post up on the Mythos when I maden her....
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:14 AM
Joined Apr 2015
42 Posts
I received the Mytho S Thursday, oddly enough I didn't go to work Friday. Should have her ready to fly in the next few days.
I thought the Airoso and the Mytho s would be similar in appearance based on pictures of the mytho S. The mythos is considerably deeper in the fuse as well as wider, also sports an anhedral horizontal stabilizer. Leading edges are curved on both the wing and stab and Yea!!! really tall gear legs! Springy, but really tall.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:07 PM
Joined Apr 2015
42 Posts
Was able to maiden the MythoS this evening, only two flights but it really left an impression.
I was not expecting how it flew, not at all. Having flow the Airoso 40+ or so times I was expecting pretty much the same flight characteristics, with better tracking or something along that line. Uhhh, that would be a NO!
I do not want to sound like the Airoso is a second rate model as that is truly not the case. Everything I have posted I still believe. It is a fantastic model and a exceptional value.
The MythoS is just that good. NEVER have I flown a model that was so neutral, ever. One guy posted on the MythoS thread before I flew it that "it has no bad habits" he is right, sort of. It has no "habits" at all. It stays EXACTLY where you leave it/put it. Period. It was actually a bit unnerving the first flight because it was not behaving as I expected it to. I expect to get 2-3 flights Thursday and again on Friday before I begin the trimming process.
I'll be lurking on this thread as I'm still flying the Airoso, so be gentle with your comments!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 08:34 AM
Find More Posts by Da Big_G
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
579 Posts
Quote:
Was able to maiden the MythoS this evening, only two flights but it really left an impression.
I was not expecting how it flew, not at all. Having flow the Airoso 40+ or so times I was expecting pretty much the same flight characteristics, with better tracking or something along that line. Uhhh, that would be a NO!
I do not want to sound like the Airoso is a second rate model as that is truly not the case. Everything I have posted I still believe. It is a fantastic model and a exceptional value.
The MythoS is just that good. NEVER have I flown a model that was so neutral, ever. One guy posted on the MythoS thread before I flew it that "it has no bad habits" he is right, sort of. It has no "habits" at all. It stays EXACTLY where you leave it/put it. Period. It was actually a bit unnerving the first flight because it was not behaving as I expected it to. I expect to get 2-3 flights Thursday and again on Friday before I begin the trimming process.
I'll be lurking on this thread as I'm still flying the Airoso, so be gentle with your comments!
Good deal. The MythoS feels more "locked in"?..My flying buddy recently picked up a 2M Shindin, and it flys more smooth and locked in than my 2M Vanquish. Keep the reports coming, as I will probably move the Airoso to sport plane status, and look for a new F3A practice plane like the MythoS. Gary
Da Big_G is offline Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:54 PM
Find More Posts by learn2turn
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
870 Posts
Quote:
Was able to maiden the MythoS this evening...
Getting a bit off original thread but can you post the gear selected on your Mythos setup, mainly motor, servos, and lipo?

-l2t
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:37 PM
Joined Apr 2015
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
Getting a bit off original thread but can you post the gear selected on your Mythos setup, mainly motor, servos, and lipo?

-l2t
I'm sure I'll get ribbed,
Turnigy SK3 5055 430kv ( I had bought two for the Airoso.)
All servos are Savox (low profile in the wings)
Turnigy 5000 MaH 6S, 25-35c
Swinging an APC 16X10 e
I have my timer set for 7 min, plenty of time to go through the intermediate sequence and a couple extra maneuvers.
The Kv is about 65 kv higher than the recommended Hacker set up. With about 1,000g more static thrust.
I suspect I'm missing something between the two motors besides the Kv, but the plane does not seem to mind.
The Savox servos seem excellent, center well, with good torque numbers.