HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2008, 01:09 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,185 Posts
Idea
FireFly. . . EPP, KF, Delta with Rudder; Plans; Indoor aerobatic video

After watching Don fly the KF ParkJet indoors I thought:

1) No way in h@ll am I going to be able to do do that.
2) With a smaller version maybe I could do that.

Then I was thinking, hmmm... how could we make this into an indoor jet. Then it struck me, take a SuperFly , add a rudder like the KF ParkJethttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=kf+Parkjet and voila that should do it. The result is the FireFly; an all epp, simple to build, indoor outdoor capable flier.

The video shows the actual maiden flight from this evening. I hope you guys enjoy watching this one!

guts for 24" FireFly

.................................................. .................................................. ....
Now the MicroFly, 16" span micro FireFly:

16" MicroFly plans

MicroFly Guts and video

12" FireFly plans

FireFly (3 min 7 sec)

Please note that there is a wide range of cg that will work for the FireFly. 8.5"(outdoor) to 9.5"(indoor) back from the nose is the typical range. For indoor flying keep the cg back so that it flies slow on it's own. For outdoor/windy day flying move the cg forward to decrease the pitch sensitivity. These are the starting points. Once you get your FireFly flying, adjust the cg and also the elevon trims to suit your personal flying preference.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Last edited by leadfeather; Aug 25, 2013 at 07:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2008, 04:36 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
That looks really promising Dan...but all that noise...I wonder how long it would take at the indoor venues that I have flown at, before You would be asked not to fly it!
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Oct 25, 2008, 07:44 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
That looks really promising Dan...but all that noise...I wonder how long it would take at the indoor venues that I have flown at, before You would be asked not to fly it!
Thanks Dave. It flies very well. I'm going to try outdoors this AM.

I'll have to see what I can do to quiet it down. The guys at the gym didn't seem to mind at all, acouple are planning to build their own FireFly right away.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:05 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Hey I hadn't thought of that, Dan....Insist that they all build one!
They can't complain then.

I will be following this one, as you know, I am a fully paid up member of the Dr David Halko fan club.Lol
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:46 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,185 Posts
Outdoor flying

I had very nice weather this AM for flying outdoors. I threw it up in the sky and was very surprised at the speed of this little plane.

Flying indoors last night I used a 2s battery to tame the power down; it just seems to use so little power for the speed it gets. 2s was plenty of power

For fast flying outdoors it worked best with the battery moved forward a little. I flew it with a 500mAh 3s and also with a 1000 mAh 3s battery. In both cases, when throttled up it was a little bullet. It is by far the fastest plane I have flown powered by the Blue Wonder (100 watt) motor. Not only was it fast, it is not pitchy at speed. I hope to get some speed flying video tomorrow AM.

I am very pleased with this little delta. A good aerobatic indoor flier and a good windy day flier too!

All epp means this plane should be very durable.
Last edited by leadfeather; Oct 25, 2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:30 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Wow! Dan where do you get a 1000Watt Blue Wonder motor?

Any CF in the underside, a pic would be nice.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:55 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,185 Posts
Quote:
Wow! Dan where do you get a 1000Watt Blue Wonder motor?

Any CF in the underside, a pic would be nice.
Dohhh! Should be 100 watts. Made the change; thanks for pointing that out.

No cf, all 1.9#, 9mm epp; just because that's what I had on hand. 1.3# might work well too, don't know if it would need some cf though.

I took lots of build photos. I'l post shortly.
Last edited by leadfeather; Oct 25, 2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 12:28 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
What glue did you use to laminate the leading edge Dan?

No 1.9 Eppp in the UK so 1.3 would have to do...I will have to look out for the 120 Drywall screen.....I wonder what its called in the UK

Davereap's plans would also work for the basic dimensions just shrink them a little.... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3&page=4&pp=10
Last edited by dekan; Oct 25, 2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 01:01 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,185 Posts
Dave,

I used Sumo glue to laminate the KF lower surface to the main wing. I spread a very thin layer on the KF pieces with a Popsicle stick and then lay it on top of the main wing. I put a small piece of plywood on top to hold it flat while the glue sets up.

Here is a link showing the abrasive drywall screen and the tool I use it in:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=252
Old Oct 25, 2008, 01:42 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Dan, I don't think you can get either in the UK... but there maybe alternatives....
Old Oct 25, 2008, 04:27 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,185 Posts
Quote:
Dan, I don't think you can get either in the UK... but there maybe alternatives....
Any modern urethane glue should work Sumo, Gorilla etc. You could also use hot glue or the Welders/ShoeGoo/Goop tye of glues too. I think the PU's (polyurethanes) are the lightest and work well but take more time to set up.

Sanding screen...must be something equivalent in Europe?? Harbor freight sells it over here.

One note on the sanding, as it may not be obvious to some. Too much pressure causes foam gouging. Pressure is force over area. As you start to knock off a corner you must use very, very light force because the force is distributed over a small area. As the foam takes shape the sanding force can gradually increase since the force will become distributed over a larger area.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 04:44 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
I have some Welder ..but I going to try 3m 90 next time I laminate Epp..

A 18"Ws might be better for the smaller venues we tend to have in the UK
Old Oct 26, 2008, 04:34 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,185 Posts
Quote:
I have some Welder ..but I going to try 3m 90 next time I laminate Epp..

A 18"Ws might be better for the smaller venues we tend to have in the UK
For flying in small spaces, I think the keys are (just my opinion): low air speed, good control, and small size in that order.

The key to low air speed is low wing loading, and also the ability to fly high A with good control. Adding the rudder to the SuperFly helps with the achieving better high A control. Reducing the wing loading would be easy compared to my build, but you might trade off some of the high speed ability; not necessarily a bad thing, just a choice.

Going smaller is good if you can do it without increasing the wing loading. Going smaller and lighter can add significant electronic component cost.

Here is my list of hardware I used and respective costs. I would love to be able to find smaller/lighter stuff; especially servos; at comparable prices.

24 gram motor, $6.95 , 2730-1500

motor mount $1.20,

Prop, $1.20, GWS 8x4 available widely

Prop adapter, $1.49,

cheapest esc $5.98

HXT 500 servos $3.49 for rudder and indoor only flying elevons.

HXT 900 servos $2.69 speed flying elevons

6" servo extension, $1.10,

Plywood control horns 3 horns required.

A 15 gram outrunner would probably be more than adequate for indoor flying and another good way to shave off some weight.

BTW the components listed above are also used on my Yuk54, LevJet, SloFly28, and 22" PBF.
Last edited by leadfeather; Apr 09, 2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 04:46 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Thanks for the list...If I was making an 18"WS, I would go for a 15g motor with a 6x3 GWS prop, 5g servos,6g Esc and a 8g rx.

If you use the 480mA ThunderPower 2S 23g lipos with that combination of bits 120G should be no problem