HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2014, 09:07 AM
Joined Mar 2007
297 Posts
New Product
Aresti 2m has flown

It's been a long time coming but the 2m version of James Hammond's new acrobatic sloper, the Aresti (2m) has flown!

See here for flight report http://www.sloperacer.blogspot.co.uk/

First test flights have been just incredible and in +50mph conditions, not ideal (LOL) but the most accomplished and exciting maiden (+ first few flights) I have ever witnessed. Well done to our test pilots, Greg Lewis and Jonathan Wells.

Also to James too, he has designed something really special! Flowing, carving and speed have now moved up a notch with this new acrobat. The energy retention and what this plane did in conditions where you would struggle to stand was unbelievable. At the edge it was gusting +60mph at times!

Some videos of the maiden and first outing in outrageous conditions will be posted here soon. In the mean time here are some details of the prototype.
Tony Fu is offline Find More Posts by Tony Fu
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2014, 09:26 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
19,936 Posts
Rad! Looking forward to the video. Congrats to you guys for sticking with it to make this thing a reality!!

I will for sure want to get one when they're available, looks perfect for our big wind spots.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Buzz Evo RTF acro glider review
Old Mar 08, 2014, 10:59 AM
Don't ask me anything...
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,838 Posts
Nice!

But I'm gutted, I really thought the Arresti was going to be bigger than that ..
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Mar 08, 2014, 11:34 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,389 Posts
Nice, Tony, looks like a Voltij on steroids which is perfect, looking forward to getting my hands on one
Can you elaborate on the construction further? Is it glass, carbon or kevlar? Laminate? Where are the strengthenings?
jimbo320 is online now Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Mar 08, 2014, 12:29 PM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
914 Posts
This is great news.......have a birthday coming up in a few months.
Slope P is offline Find More Posts by Slope P
Last edited by Slope P; Mar 08, 2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2014, 12:39 PM
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Nice looks like a scaled down splash of a Dorado .
Douwe is offline Find More Posts by Douwe
Old Mar 09, 2014, 05:22 AM
Joined Mar 2007
297 Posts
Steve, thanks for your support. The proto is heavier than the production model for sure, 1.97kg empty but pretty sure it will get lighter.

Chris, don't get disappointed- this is the first of the new Aresti's. The 3m version is being done now and made by top Euro manufacturer! Just need to be a bit more patient. However, this 2m Aresti is the one that I think that has the most appeal as the 3m is huge- bigger than a X models Stingray, so that should cheer you up!

Jimbo, the final spec is not finalised, this is why we do prototypes but you can be sure we are working on making the Aresti strong! This proto has carbon from the canopy opening to the fin to make the back end strong and built substantial ply reinforcement in the front end and along the wing position. The wings are glass but heavier lay up than normal. But as I said we have some tweaks on next proto currently being built.

Slope P, well we are not far off, had the first test flights not gone so well it would have been a different story.

Douwe; better hope James Hammond doesn't see your post! Just to put you in the picture the Vector series of planes is designed by James and the Aresti too. The Aresti looks similair for sure but just about everything has been redone. The section is Jame's and this is a elevator design not AMT. Also the side area has been made bigger in the fin and nose but the width (thickness) has been proportionally reduced. So it's a refinement of James's original design.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 05:54 AM
Don't ask me anything...
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Fu View Post
Chris, don't get disappointed- this is the first of the new Aresti's. The 3m version is being done now and made by top Euro manufacturer! Just need to be a bit more patient. However, this 2m Aresti is the one that I think that has the most appeal as the 3m is huge- bigger than a X models Stingray, so that should cheer you up!
Whee ha!
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Mar 09, 2014, 06:54 AM
Joined Oct 2005
164 Posts
Fantastic result guys - congrats to Jim, Tony and Greg. Really looking forward to seeing this machine in the flesh!

Cheers,
Greg
Greg Dakin is offline Find More Posts by Greg Dakin
Old Mar 09, 2014, 09:23 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
2,775 Posts
Can't wait to see the video. Ian
bluffman is online now Find More Posts by bluffman
Old Mar 09, 2014, 10:08 AM
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Fu View Post
Douwe; better hope James Hammond doesn't see your post! Just to put you in the picture the Vector series of planes is designed by James and the Aresti too. The Aresti looks similair for sure but just about everything has been redone. The section is Jame's and this is a elevator design not AMT. Also the side area has been made bigger in the fin and nose but the width (thickness) has been proportionally reduced. So it's a refinement of James's original design.
Tony- I have both a Sunbird and Dorado and have been victimized by JH by having to read through all the rhetoric in his thread hijacking. IMHO no plane is an original design (they are all refinements of an original concept). It is good JH has stuck with it and finally took the correct approach in producing a plane and putting it out on the competitive market. I look forward seeing and maybe owning an Aresti.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 02:15 PM
Joined Mar 2007
297 Posts
Douwe, a 'splash' is taking a direct copy and a scaled down splash of a Dorado it certainly is not.

Besides from the actual design, when we have the final production models, a great deal of work has been done from the design stage to arrive at these. The test flying done by many highly critical, though talented fliers is crucial (and believe me they all have an opinion!) and in fact today the proto Aresti is being flown by yet another in much lighter conditions. This stage that we are in greatly improves the final product as we found when developing the Schwing 88 and variants.

Also today the next prototype was popped out the moulds and the fuse is now Carbon/ Kevlar amongst other changes. I guess it may not be the last proto.

So you can be sure if you do get an Aresti it will be thoroughly tested and developed model, not only in performance but also structure and of course durability.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 02:30 PM
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Tony- Do you have any U.S.A. distributors yet? If so do you have U.S.A. pricing yet? When will they be available in the states? Please don't take my splash (we are using a slang definition so it can mean anything) too seriously. Just a bit of good natured ribbing at JH for having to endure all his slamming of RCRCM.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:25 PM
Joined Mar 2007
297 Posts
Aresti 2m Video of maiden and first few flights

This is a Video of the maiden and subsequent flights. Wind conditions were constant +50mph and at the edge gusts reaching 95mph! So extremely hard to even stand but the adrenaline was up and maybe you can see why we all got so excited about this new plane!
Aresti 2 m (6 min 1 sec)

Douwe it's too early for release but more flying, whoops I mean- 'working hard' to get there!
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:35 PM
Aerobatics!
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Nov 2007
2,169 Posts
I would love to see a video of the thing flying in more average conditions. Maybe once a year I can fly in 50 mph winds!
JGAF is online now Find More Posts by JGAF