HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:48 PM
USA, NM, Carlsbad
Joined May 2002
1,147 Posts
The problem is that we are talk about a "NANO" turbine not wren 44 size and Kind tech IMO IS GETTING TO PROUD OF THERE ENGINES.
littlepiston is offline Find More Posts by littlepiston
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:07 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Län, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepiston View Post
The problem is that we are talk about a "NANO" turbine not wren 44 size and Kind tech IMO IS GETTING TO PROUD OF THERE ENGINES.
The kingtech 35 might be in this size(like the p20) intresting to see exactly what they come up with.
henke is online now Find More Posts by henke
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:16 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
883 Posts
Quote:
Also I'm trying an experiment. I'm going to see if I can fly a lightened up, NitroModels, Falcon 120 with a Jet Joe Jr. 5 lbs. of static thrust should fly a 10 lbs model. I don't expect to burn up the sky, but it should fly.
Probably a little optimistic. A friend went the lightweight route with the Falcon 120 with a Wren 44 gold (10 pounds) & the performance was not wonderful, the engine spent a lot of time at high power settings just to get it to fly properly. I'ts a big, draggy airframe no matter how light you make it.

I'm flying a Bobcat 50 with a 7 pound Wren 44 & it flys fine, probably a better, low cost option for a 5 pound thrust engine, depending of course that you do, actually, get 5 pounds. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:48 AM
still trying to get it right
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakhakker View Post
Just had a look on the sports turbine site and they are selling the JJJ for just over 900 euros which is even more of a good price but I am not sure if they are modded in any way, perhaps they could comment on that?.
Winkybone ? would you like to comment please?
yakhakker is offline Find More Posts by yakhakker
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:51 AM
still trying to get it right
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
The kingtech 35 might be in this size(like the p20) intresting to see exactly what they come up with.
Yes I am looking at a small turbine but am unable to come up with Jetcat prices these days so am finding this thread interesting and hope that someone comes up with a JJJ for you to test and to read your findings.
yakhakker is offline Find More Posts by yakhakker
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:49 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJE4357 View Post
........ Both of the Jr's I have, put out a bit over 5 lb's of static thrust on my Dynamic

..... some on the thread say, there is no support here in the US. You need to chech out the Jet Joe Website, and see who the US dealers are. ...

I hope to have one of the Jr's in a T-45 at Florida Jets this year, if I can get the electric retracts finished. Also I'm trying an experiment. I'm going to see if I can fly a lightened up, NitroModels, Falcon 120 with a Jet Joe Jr. 5 lbs. of static thrust should fly a 10 lbs model. I don't expect to burn up the sky, but it should fly.

My 2 cents worth

Larry E.

SouthEast Model Products Inc.
Orlando, Fl.
My 2 cents Worth

Hi Larry,

You are correct. I went to JJ's site, and they NOW have USA dealers and/or service. BUT the one dealer, I've never heard of. I'm not "bashing", or "Knocking" anyone... but With JJ's track record, and an unknown service point... I would still tell people to be careful.

Anyway... While looking on JJ's site... I did see that the newer JJJ has an electric starter on it. (nice addition) But I also noticed that they De-rated it down to 3.5 Lbs of thrust. Also, I watched their video of the little engine running... and at 240,000 RPM (full throttle) it looked like it was making 1.8 kg of thrust (just under 4 Lbs) BUT... the EGT was WAY up at 830 c !!!!!!!!!!!! At those temps... that engine won't last long. Heck... most of my engines, I have the "over Temp" alarm set at 700 c. And on average... my engines will run in the low/mid 600's at full throttle. I have an old SimJet 1650 that runs in the upper 500's. At over 800.... the hot parts will decay, and the bearings will cook.

As far as using a JJJ on the Falcon 120... I'm not sure it will fly well enough to be worth it. If you do try it... you will have to take off a VERY smooth tarmac runway. But... since the falcon is cheap... give it a try, and post up the results. But, you may have better results with it on a 50, or even a 25.

I have a unbuilt 120 I can weigh the parts for you. I have one flying with an AMT-180 engine... but they were so cheap... I bought a second one for parts. (lol)

What T-45 are you thinking about? I have a wren 44 in a CMP T-45. It flys real nice with 8 Lbs of thrust. (I turned down the WM44, to be 1:1) And... once off the ground, it flys well at half throttle. (that's about 3 Lbs of thrust) So... you should be OK with a JJJ as long as you are flying off a paved runway.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Last edited by Dr Honda; Jan 20, 2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:16 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Län, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
it looked like it was making 1.8 kg of thrust (just under 4 Lbs) BUT... the EGT was WAY up at 830 c !!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw that too, but the tailcone was not red hot. Remember the P-20 GSU saying 590°C and the cone glowing red while here it says 800+ and not glowing.

Another thing that a test by me would shine a light on

As for the falcon a cluster of 4 engines would be cool
henke is online now Find More Posts by henke
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:00 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2002
922 Posts
Quote:
I saw that too, but the tailcone was not red hot. Remember the P-20 GSU saying 590°C and the cone glowing red while here it says 800+ and not glowing.

Another thing that a test by me would shine a light on

Over $6000 in turbines and a cheap chineese airframe ! Better have real deep pockets, and a warpped sence of humor.
LJE4357 is offline Find More Posts by LJE4357
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:23 PM
Joined May 2004
1,103 Posts
Quote:

Put them on the wings in nacelles. (747 style) That would look great !!

Quote:
Over $6000 in turbines and a cheap chineese airframe ! Better have real deep pockets, and a warpped sence of humor.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:06 PM
Joined May 2004
602 Posts
Nice post. (ahem) Are you affiliated with JetJoe in any way? Say a dealer, agent, or service center?

Dave Rigotti

Quote:
I been reading this thread, and thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth.

The whole Jet Joe line of turbines have changed a lot for the better. The NEW owner has incorporated a lot of changes in the complete line. The design is a very basic design as are most turbines. But what has changed is the material, tolerances, testing, and the electronics. I have both a JetCat P-20 and the old Jet Joe Jr. and a new Jet Joe Jr. They both run, but the newer one starts,and transisions a lot quicker and smother than the older version. Also the older version is started with a little blower (which works great, as long as you follow the instructions). The new version is electric start. Both of the Jr's I have, put out a bit over 5 lb's of static thrust on my Dynamic Thrust stand. I will say that the P-20 is a bit easier to setup, but I don't think it;s worth the extra $1000. As far as support, some on the thread say, there is no support here in the US. You need to chech out the Jet Joe Website, and see who the US dealers are. There is 1 US dealer, and ethe other is the North American distributor.

I hope to have one of the Jr's in a T-45 at Florida Jets this year, if I can get the electric retracts finished. Also I'm trying an experiment. I'm going to see if I can fly a lightened up, NitroModels, Falcon 120 with a Jet Joe Jr. 5 lbs. of static thrust should fly a 10 lbs model. I don't expect to burn up the sky, but it should fly.

My 2 cents worth

Larry E.

SouthEast Model Products Inc.
Orlando, Fl.
My 2 cents Worth
HobbyCNC is offline Find More Posts by HobbyCNC
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:45 PM
Joined May 2004
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyCNC View Post
Nice post. (ahem) Are you affiliated with JetJoe in any way? Say a dealer, agent, or service center?

Dave Rigotti
Yes he is listed as a dealer. BUT... he's entitled to his opinion.

Speaking of that.... Larry... post a vid of you running a new JJJ.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:45 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2002
922 Posts
JJ Turbine

Right now I'm deep into making a production run of my new electric retracts for the Falcon 120. As soon as I'm done, I'll get the JJ Jr. back on the test stand and make a video. Does anybody out there have a Nitroplanes, Bobcat 50 unbuilt in the box, they want to sell? They been on backorder for 6 months now.
LJE4357 is offline Find More Posts by LJE4357
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:47 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
2,945 Posts
If you can hold off till 2018.... HobbyKing will be releasing their engine then
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:01 PM
USA, NM, Carlsbad
Joined May 2002
1,147 Posts
Hahaha , don't post that again!
littlepiston is offline Find More Posts by littlepiston
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:06 PM
winkybone
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Mar 2007
104 Posts
Quote:
You still have not answerd if you want to let me test the JJJr.(I might have missed it though) Then we would all know instead of guessing.
Sorry for not answering sooner we have been on a vacation so I was off line . If you want to test a JJJ that's good with me send me your email address I will send you my IBAN and invoice at cost and after the test return the JJJ and I can return you funds , how does that sound ?
winkybone is offline Find More Posts by winkybone