HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:34 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Question
The Twilight Zone.....

Today my new Stinger 64 came in and after I get it together, my next step was to setup the control surfaces so since I'm downa Rx I walked next door to my hanger and took an AR600 out of my new unflown but tested Pitts, checking it to make sure all was well before disconnecting and going back to my "shop to install it in my Stinger to center servo's and power up and go out and fly on a perfect cool windless brite day! So I connect the aforementioned Rx, go to an unused model in my DX6i, set to airplane mode and bind! Bingo, maybe the 10,000' th time I've done this! So, bind done, I turn on Rx, plug in lipo and get full starboard rudder. HUH???? Give it elevator, thank God this is a jet facing my stomach!!!!! The DF goes full throttle! Let go and stick centers and motor calms down to mid throttle. Throttle controlled rudder, thus full starboard rudder on startup. Aileron was aileron though. Elevator was rudder stick. That got me thinking, AFTER I triple checked what I knew was right!!! Was my Tx in mode 2? Whatever mode they fly overseas????? What the hell????? I couldn't believe it! So I take the Rx out , go and put it back in the Pitts and she comes alive like expected. O.K.........whats up?? I take it out , go back, reinstall it in the Stinger, start getting the beeps and all is well. What the @#*&%!<HECK!!! Any thoughts? And isn't one of the modes Throttle on right along with aileron, w/ rudder and elevator on left stick? How did this happen? ZEEconfusedZEE.....
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:05 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,146 Posts
Is your prop on backwards?

I don't know the DX6 but I'd go though the settings for that model.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:39 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
Marina Village, NC
Joined Aug 2007
3,301 Posts
yeah...that just sounds crazy ! i have a DX7, don't have a clue how to turn into the "other mode"....or if it's even possible

i would surely bench test it a few times before trying to fly !!!! let us know how the Stinger flies. i got one a few months ago to build soon
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:43 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,399 Posts
dx6i's are funky dude! mine has deleted my modles memory before! not the trims or name but reversing and DR stuff! just be careful with that transmitter. and make sure that the servos on the plane match with the reciever.
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:12 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,265 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the radio.

The only way that could happen is user/setup error. You plugged the servo/ESC leads into the wrong places on the receiver without realizing it, e.g. you put the lead from the ESC into the Elevator slot, the rudder servo lead into the Throttle slot, and the elevator servo lead into the Rudder slot. You got the ailerons right, which is why they worked normally. When you took it out and reinstalled it, you got the leads plugged in correctly and now everything works. No great mystery.

The radio cannot swap channels around like that, accidentally or intentionally. It would be like if you pushed the gas pedal in your car and the brake engaged, or if you flipped the light switch in the bathroom and the garage lights came on. Just pay closer attention to which plugs you put where and you'll be fine
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:42 PM
Marina Village, NC
Joined Aug 2007
3,301 Posts
makes sense....i'm guilty of that
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:36 AM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I have to admit that may have happened but I have done this so many times I am pretty damn sure I hooded it up right, but in the small area I was working in, NAW!!!! I made sure I took the wire coming out of the ESC and plugged it in first right next to the bind plug, I'm sure I had that wire right, but others, I could have zigged where.... I'm stickin to my story....do,do,do,do,da,da,daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa: I had entered the TWILIGHT ZONE ...ZigZagginZEE.......now I'm heading to the snoring zone................
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:07 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,575 Posts
ZeeZee,
You are as sure that you hooked everything up correctly probably as sure as you are that you hit the letter "K" instead of the letter "D", in your first sentence. Man, those two letters aren't even close together on the keyboard!
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:03 AM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
560 Posts
Sounds crazy, glad it was an EDF!!!!!!!!
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I guess I must have plugged something in the wrong spot but after I did this and unplugged, I took a good look, went to throttle port unplugged it and foolowed it back to ESC, checked everything again and plugged wire from ESC back into throttle port! Same results. This is like Bigfoot, UFO's, etc. Had this had been my big Pawnee or my Pitts it would had been a disaster. Had that happened 2" from my chest I believe it would have hit me , crawled up my unbuttoned shirt and cut my throat .. I am serious! It could have been a deadly accident, one of those believe it or not stories we read about here on RCG! As a 17 year old working the summer in a machine shop grinding a weld with a round wire metal brush, I was working with my shirt unbuttoned and the Big industrial grinder got in a bind, jumped up , caught my shirt tail and up my shirt it went with me in a bad bind unable to release the trigger while it was spinning on my bare chest as it started pulling my over the shoulder hair out of my head and me screaming to the guy's to pull the cords!!! After a trip to the ER and some painful scrubbing and later plastic surgery to my breast area, imagine???? I also got a little hair cut to the shoulder's and a couple Levi's metal snap button up shirts and learned alot about safety!! I believe that was in '72....Dave...
Last edited by zeezee; Nov 17, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:57 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
2,832 Posts
Dave now that it's back to normal, have you tried it again to see if there is a repeat? Or perhaps plug it all together to try to get the channels moveing you described.

I'd hate not knowing and not trusting the equipment
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:09 PM
Marina Village, NC
Joined Aug 2007
3,301 Posts
i see you already have this up for sale !!! that reciever looks a little sketchy
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:35 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Yes, I found out jets are not my thing, but then again I did forget to program and set it up for low rates/50% and expo/50%. That would have made a lot of difference, on top of the fact that I have never hand launched or flown a jet before, should have had someone that knows whats up toss it for me so I could think quicker. RX that I am selling with jet is not the one I had the Twilight Zone experience with, it's a clone from Heads Up and the one I had the "T.Z thing" with was my Spektrum AR600. I wouldn't sell anything I thought may be faulty, ever! I tried to duplicate the 1st mode change by switching throttle to elevator but couldn't re-create??? Makes me wonder,hmmmmmmmm. Dave...now that I know I FORGOT to set rates and expo, I probably zigged when I should a zagged! Hurrying...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:28 AM
Marina Village, NC
Joined Aug 2007
3,301 Posts
the edf jets can get a little crazy ! if you want to experience the edf jet thing. look at the little micro Mig-15 from E-flite. it has the as3x gyro , it is easy to fly....and it is a blast !! i take mine to the field every time i go
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:44 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,265 Posts
Dave, have you thought about trying something like a Stryker? It won't be nearly as hard to manage as that Stinger, but you can still get equal or greater top-end performance out of it. It'll fly a lot like the wing you were raving about not long ago, but with more git-up-n-go.

These quick little buggers can be a heck of a handful at first, but you really do get used to them after a few flights.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀