HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:03 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGBIKE View Post
Thanks guys you are all welcome, there is no need to keep you great builders down by keeping secrets we are all in this together!
Spoken like a true Possuem Lodge Member.......
That is the greatness of this site. We are all here to learn, share, and make the hobby better and keep it alive!!
Thanks for the tutorial on fine weathering.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:17 PM
If you cant find it Build it!
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,503 Posts
Thanks to Frank not sending me a 50cal. that was shorted in the kit I had to scratch build one and I think it turned out great

Take a look see.
LONGBIKE is offline Find More Posts by LONGBIKE
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:58 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,033 Posts
Well then !

That turned out for the best anyway...

GREAT work, bristling detail does the job.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:23 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,620 Posts
One thing I remember from being aboard the PBRs (during a couple of fleet week 'demonstrations' during the 80s with SBU XI), if you are going to detail her as a "lived-in" boat, was that within moments after the weapons opened up, rear deck footing was treacherous from hundreds of expended rounds of the 'spilled' brass. There were also lots of .50 in the rear of the foredeck well which acted as a catch basin. The brass would roll to the back when the boats went nose high in a hard turn or when she poured it on in hard acceleration as I recall.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Dec 24, 2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Ahh Long,

I really don’t think the .50 cal is up to the level of your other work; you’d probably be better served quickly sending it to me before others see it. Besides I have the perfect spot on my desk to hide it for you.

All kidding aside it’s actually a shame Frank didn’t work something out with you, in another thread it was mentioned that the ageing molds were part of his decision to close up shop. You clearly make some nice masters to pull fresh and upgraded molds from.

Merry Christmas.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:28 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcal View Post
All kidding aside itís actually a shame Frank didnít work something out with you, in another thread it was mentioned that the ageing molds were part of his decision to close up shop. You clearly make some nice masters to pull fresh and upgraded molds from.

Merry Christmas.
An interesting and Positive thought ...
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:00 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGBIKE View Post
Thanks to Frank not sending me a 50cal. that was shorted in the kit I had to scratch build one and I think it turned out great

Take a look see.
Oh he!! yeah!! I can smell the Mil-L now!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined May 2012
152 Posts
WOW WOW WOW !!! I could never do that !!! Amazing !!! Thank You !!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family !!!
PTman is offline Find More Posts by PTman
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:39 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,616 Posts
That is just too cool! It is way better than what would would have gotten from the vendor. Very realistic. The paint in combination with what you built just tells the story of that weapon. Perfect.
Gravman is online now Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:09 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,382 Posts
I know a lot of small boats had a snow shovel to remove the expended brass (and the occasional burning flare) from the boats as needed. The air force guys like to joke that the AC-130 Spectre crews were 'shovel qualified' as each of their aircraft was issued a large snow shovel to get rid of the amound of brass they went through.
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:12 AM
Joined May 2012
152 Posts
Watched a show last night about the war in Vietnam , the coverage of PBRs in action was amazing ! No joke those little boats !!! They put out an absolute ton of brass , totally believe that big snow shovels would definitely come in handy !!!
PTman is offline Find More Posts by PTman
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:55 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,033 Posts
Lead poisoning

A serious outbreak of lead poisoning in one particluar 1/8 mile square area of the desert...

Inside An AC-130 While Shooting (4 min 49 sec)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:12 AM
If you cant find it Build it!
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,503 Posts
Thanks guys! Ya I thought about building a big 50 cal. to sit on the work bench with more detail would be neat.

Thats a great video Tim I never realized the amount of work that those guys did in the back to keep all those guns firing.
LONGBIKE is offline Find More Posts by LONGBIKE
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:24 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,033 Posts
There's a 105 howitzer, directed by a satellite, they can out a smart round IN a 50 gallon drum if needed ~
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,382 Posts
here is a tape of what Spectre can do (warning graphic language and images about halfway through).
AC-130 Afghanistan Mission (9 min 46 sec)
If you should annoy a Spectre and cause them to put ALL the guns online at the same time (it eats a heck of a lot of ammo), it will put one round in each square foot of a football field in 3 seconds! I got a chance to see what was left of a target after an AC-130 engaged a light tank in Grenada. The tank (hit with regular HE ammo (no HEAT equipped on that flight)) was smashed nearly flat and in a two foot crater in the dirt road it had been driving on.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008