HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by davidterrell80, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:11 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,604 Posts
Discussion
Polaris Seaplane

I've completed my first scratch build, the Polaris Seaplane

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922465

I had first flight last weekend and found I needed to re-check the down thrust. All else was good... very good.

David
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I broke my SE-5a
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:41 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,604 Posts
I've recycled my Polaris.

I've flown it exclusively off land and discovered that the lower-aft fuselage was prone to fail in tension when the fin would strike the ground. After three repairs, i'd had enough.

I do plan to make another and, when I do, I plan to make a few changes.
  1. Build the plane out of 10mm foam so I can forgo most/all internal bulkheads.
  2. Create an equipment bay in the vicinity of the CG that will contain all systems & servos.
  3. Run the rudder and elevator controls from the centrally located servos to the surfaces via Golden rods.
  4. Move the fin forward and add an additional thickness to the fin, making a stronger tie-in to the fuselage.
  5. Deepen the hull below the wing, slightly, without changing the fin; and, adding a skeg to the "transom" area to absorb land loads.
  6. Build the 125% scaled version.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I broke my SE-5a