HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2013, 02:31 PM
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcowgar View Post
Does it still work when plugging into the wall? Do you have another 12v source to try it from to eliminate the possibility of it being the truck battery?
This is a bit embarrassing. I hooked the charger up directly to the truck battery and it worked. A voltmeter shows OK voltage at the new female banana plugs in the bed, but possibly the ground on the truck bed is not good enough. I will check that out. So glad it's not the charger! Thank you.
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2013, 05:17 PM
United States, OH, Norton
Joined Aug 2013
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntstringflier View Post
This is a bit embarrassing.

Nope, just proves you are human like the rest of us!
jcowgar is offline Find More Posts by jcowgar
Old Dec 31, 2013, 06:56 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcowgar View Post
Nope, just proves you are human like the rest of us!
Yeah, but bein' human can be embarrassing at times.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Dec 31, 2013, 07:56 PM
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
179 Posts
Bad ground on pickup truck bed

It sure fooled me. I thought the bed was grounded because the canopy has a dome light that used to work with only one hot wire, so at least it used to have some kind of a ground. The single hot wire to the light got broken years ago. Seeing voltage at the banana plugs, I thought I was good to go. When I checked the ground I found that even a tail light test bulb wouldn't light until I jumped a wire from the negative battery terminal to one of the tailgate hinge bolts. Crawling underneath, there were some open holes in both the frame and one of the the bed cross members. A little sanding, some new hex bolts & washers, a foot of 12 guage wire, a bit of Ox-guard grease and now it works fine.

I ran the 12 guage hot wire from the battery to the back of the bed inside a length of 1/4" OD nylon tubing to protect it from abrasion, and put a fuse holder right next to the battery. The 20 amp circuit should be enough for my charging needs.
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier
Old Jan 10, 2014, 03:07 PM
Joined Apr 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Accessory View Post
The Hitec's were generation 1 of this kind of charger. Just search and you'll find the issues people have had with them. Hitec's service is outstanding. There are better choices now for quads with higher quality, higher power, and faster charge rates.
Hi, I was leaning towards this charger as it has AC built in which makes it convienient for travel.

With that, I have a TBS Discovery and will be charging many of these most of the time.

http://team-blacksheep.com/products/...ax_flight_time

I have a 30 amp Power supply now made by "The Power Source". It's old but works great still (I use to use it in my RC Car days.)

I'd rather not spend anymore than $250 if at all possible although i'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks!
ladysman is offline Find More Posts by ladysman
Old Jan 10, 2014, 06:31 PM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
517 Posts
Power Supplies - - -
Poking around on E-Bay (and exercising due care) can result in reasonable prices for decent power supplies. I recently bought two 24V (18-28V adjustable) 65A Lambdas at less than 1/10 new price. One was slightly used, and the other looks brand new.
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75
Old Jan 31, 2014, 06:08 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
279 Posts
A while back someone mentioned it being hard to plug the balancing plugs into the side of the charger, which I agree it can be a hassle. I bought right-angle banana plugs to keep the charger wires out of the way, but I found these at HK:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=9736
I just keep them plugged into the charger. It's only helpful if all your packs are 3S, but mine are.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Apr 03, 2014, 11:11 AM
Joined Apr 2014
5 Posts
I have the x4 and today is the first time using it .. weird smell made me unplug .. After a few I plugged it back in.. With a lower Amperage.. I am charging 10000 mah batteries .. I thought I could at 6a.. now I'm charging at 3 A .. does this sound ok.. I imagine it will just take longer?
JS1000 is offline Find More Posts by JS1000
Old Apr 04, 2014, 05:50 AM
Joined Oct 2010
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1000 View Post
I have the x4 and today is the first time using it .. weird smell made me unplug .. After a few I plugged it back in.. With a lower Amperage.. I am charging 10000 mah batteries .. I thought I could at 6a.. now I'm charging at 3 A .. does this sound ok.. I imagine it will just take longer?
The smell "may" be ok since the unit is new and surface oils from the components are burning off. You should be able to charge at the max rate that the chargers specs state, so if you keep it within that number and it continues to smell after using it for a few hours (keep an eye on it and don't let it go un-attended), then it should probably go back for a fix or replacement.
Sparks, on the other hand, mean that you unplug it and bury it in the deepest hole you can dig.
Treeline is offline Find More Posts by Treeline
Old Apr 04, 2014, 08:34 AM
Go Fly Something!!
USA, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Jan 2009
825 Posts
I do love me the smell of new electronics heating up for the first time!

Don
AMA 384859

PS: mine did the same smell thing, lasted maybe a few minutes.
dlt2859 is online now Find More Posts by dlt2859