HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2013, 01:29 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Oh yea. Good Idea. Only issue I see with the foam idea is that the receiver is at rear of batt area and all the wires are in the area between intake and wall where I'm having probs.

Here's what I'm thinking. I will shape the balsa piece to match the outer wall of the intake. Then glue the whole length . I don't think it will have to be too perfect if I use a bunch of microballoons.

Think this will be enough?
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2013, 01:35 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,724 Posts
I`ll bet it will add the strength that you need.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2013, 01:45 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Cool. Thank you for your input.
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:30 AM
More jets than a carburetor
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,793 Posts
Lee I got the same struts and retracts as you now. I am rebuilding my destroyed HET l-39.
One thing I noticed is the nose gear has a lot of slop. This slop will get worse from grass.

I found some 2-56 size bolts will go right in the holes and you can thread them in easy. I locking nut on the end will help.

I replaced all 3 pins in the fork and it is now slop free except fro the slight wobble in the stock wheel.

The mains are much beefier than the nose gear, lets see how it holds up.
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:36 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,724 Posts
That`s good info one the pin replacement. I used thin ca on one of my nose struts at all of the pin points. It took out all of the slack, but will probably have to be re done on a regular basis.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2014, 05:52 PM
Joined Sep 2012
14 Posts
New SSXL

Hello guys, I just received my Super Sniper and am about to get started on it. I still need to get my Engine, Fan, ESC, and retracts. I'm planning on using Hitec 82MG on all but my Elevator which I'm going to use 85MG's on. I have the New tail so I hope I will not need to worry about the flutter or elevator falling off. I read though most of the thread.

Not sure what engine fan combo to use. I have a CS 90mm 12Blade running 6s on a Multiplex Twinjet and love how it sounds. I really want my Sniper to sound as good but I'm not sure if the CS will do 10s. Do you guys know if the ChangeSun 90mm will do 10s and not die? I also love the sound of the Wemotec Evo 90mm but not sure if that will handle 10s. The other option I was thinking about was the JetFan 90 v2 which has 9 blades I think? Just wondering what you guys think a good setup would be if want the great sound and would sacrifice a little speed to get it. I'm thinking I would do 10 or 12s.

Thanks,

-Layne
laynet is offline Find More Posts by laynet
Old Apr 05, 2014, 05:54 PM
Joined Sep 2012
14 Posts
Hey Lee, I see that you are in the Carrollton area. I'm over in NRH's. I would love to watch you fly your Super Sniper. Is it done?
Old Apr 05, 2014, 09:05 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynet View Post
Hello guys, I just received my Super Sniper and am about to get started on it. I still need to get my Engine, Fan, ESC, and retracts. I'm planning on using Hitec 82MG on all but my Elevator which I'm going to use 85MG's on. I have the New tail so I hope I will not need to worry about the flutter or elevator falling off. I read though most of the thread.

Not sure what engine fan combo to use. I have a CS 90mm 12Blade running 6s on a Multiplex Twinjet and love how it sounds. I really want my Sniper to sound as good but I'm not sure if the CS will do 10s. Do you guys know if the ChangeSun 90mm will do 10s and not die? I also love the sound of the Wemotec Evo 90mm but not sure if that will handle 10s. The other option I was thinking about was the JetFan 90 v2 which has 9 blades I think? Just wondering what you guys think a good setup would be if want the great sound and would sacrifice a little speed to get it. I'm thinking I would do 10 or 12s.

Thanks,

-Layne
The CS isn`t dependable above 3kw from what I know, and with 10s-12s you are probably looking for more than that. I haven`t studied the Wemo Evo, From what I understand the JF 90 is hard to beat and they now offer a lower cost unit with a plastic shroud instead of the CF unit. The rotors are the same. Unless you like to tinker with fans (which I do) I`d suggest the JF 90 . I`ve never heard a bad report on one.

I`ll post here when mine`s ready to fly and you are more than welcome to come out and be my guest for the day at the NDRCC field. You should plan on bringing something to fly if you`d like.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2014, 11:56 PM
Joined Sep 2012
14 Posts
Great, thanks for the info and looking forward to the flight.
Old Apr 09, 2014, 11:26 PM
Joined Sep 2012
14 Posts
Question about formers and wing mount area

Question for you guys. I've seen some people make plywood formers to strengthen up the back part of the SSXL. Where do you get the measurements to make the former shape? or what it the process to get the measurements?

I was looking at where the wing bolts attach to the jet and it doesn't look that strong. Are most of you reinforcing the area where the bolts go in?