Old Feb 07, 2011, 08:59 PM
Let it Be
USA, WI, Oshkosh
Joined Jul 2004
307 Posts
Discussion
My Hobbyzone UL Champ Mods

Hi All,

It seemed like almost everyone at our gym is flying the Hobbyzone ultra micro Champ. and why not? It's well-done, flies very nicely. But...they all look alike.

I wanted mine to look different, so I painted mine to resemble an Air Force Aeronca L-16 liaison and observation plane from the 1950's-early 1960's. Pictures are attached. I had to add a bit of nose weight for balance.

I used simple Testor's flat light gray enamel spray paint overall, and asked Callie Graphics to do me up some decals scaled to the size of the Champ. They got them to me in a matter of a couple of days. I think it turned out pretty good, and I've gotten quite a few nice comments at the gym. Flies like a ... Champ.

Dave
dhable is offline Find More Posts by dhable
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2011, 09:22 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,921 Posts
Looks great best one I've seen so far.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:19 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
That looks Sweet!

What is the AUW without battery? You can't even tell it was ever Orange.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:09 PM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
561 Posts
Very nice Dave!

Did you remove the original color or just paint over it? Any changes in flight characteristics compared to the stock version?

I was thinking of doing something similar to a Cub, but read that painting really increases the weight of these little birds so I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks,

Don
Digital Don is offline Find More Posts by Digital Don
Old Feb 08, 2011, 10:53 AM
Let it Be
USA, WI, Oshkosh
Joined Jul 2004
307 Posts
I never weighed the plane before I painted it, so I have nothing to compare afterwards.

It flies a little faster than the stock Champs I've seen at the gym. A combination of the paint and the nose weight I had to add to balance it. But it still flies much slower than the P-51, T-28, etc.

I forgot to mention that I also added some 1/8 X 1/16" balsa wing struts.

I painted right over the original finish. First a light dusting coat, then a final coat to fill in anything I missed on the first.

I had to add a piece of Great Planes 1/8" black striping tape between the red and gray on the nose because I couldn't get a sharp line there using just the paint and masking tape. It sort of sets off the nose anyway.

Dave
dhable is offline Find More Posts by dhable
Old Feb 08, 2011, 11:36 AM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,043 Posts
THAT is really cool. Good job man.
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
Old Feb 08, 2011, 03:52 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
What a looker
Really brings out the wing ribs, that seem somewhat buried in the brightness of the original.
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old Mar 27, 2011, 03:23 PM
CT
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
Korean war era version

That looks fantastic! I am just finishing an olive drab version based on the grasshoppers often used during the Korean war. I just need to add the decals which I am printing on adhesive backed paper from Staples. You can make your own decals with a computer/printer for about 50 cents/page if anyone is thinking of doing something similar. I was curious about the increased weight myself, but haven't flown it yet.
orangecobra is offline Find More Posts by orangecobra