New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
3,768 Posts
Discussion
Magnum Turbo Beaver

I just now received plans from Mr Aerodesign, aka Martin Rosseau of his Dehavilland Turbo Beaver!
I had Martin enlarge the plans 20% to make the wingspan 123 3/4" and a fuselage oal of 91". This is the largest fuse I can get into my trailer. The plans will be modified to have separate elevators (41" wide) as interior of trailer is 34 1/2"!! Servos for elevator will in each half (aka 3D types) mounted on CF tubes.
Martin's design encorporate a lot of 1/8" lightply, I will strive to eliminate some of it in an effort ot keep the OAW to 25lbs or so.
Power will come from a Suppo 7035-9 (190kv), capable of turning a scale 21/12 three bladed prop. I expect total power to be in the 3600 range. Esc will be a Castle Creations HV110 and the system will run on 12S. I haven't decided if the plane will use 2 6S/5000/40C or 4 of the same. I want flight times of at least 10 minutes. I'm hoping the batteries will go directly behind the firewall, allowing a scale cockpit. Martin purposely placed all servos outside the cockpit area so it could be finished.
This I have already concluded will be a huge undertaking. I expect it to take at least 6 months to complete. I need to go earn some $$$$ for this one!!
I built a Unionville 96" and flew it for 4 yrs, sold it last spring to help finance a trip to my daughters wedding. I have missed that Turbo Beaver ever since. it was one of, if not my favorites to fly. Asap I will start building LG parts, the rest will be awhile. I'll do my best to keep posts updated. I found 6" wheels at Menoa (CB Associates).
As the plans did not show the LG drawings, I have contacted Martin today to ask for detailed drawing of the 20% enlarged gear. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2013, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by Deuce
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,034 Posts

Heck, yeah, I'll watch this!

I have a Unionville Beaver kit in the stash, but it's been such a long time since I've ogled it, I can't remember which span it is! I believe it's the 8' span...

If I may ask, what power set-up did you install in yours (I ass-you-me it was electric...)? Granted, it maybe some years before I get to building it, but...

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:17 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
3,768 Posts
Hi James: My TB was the 96" span. I powered it with a Scorpion 4025-12, spinning anEMP 3 blade 15/8 prop. It made 1425watts in. The plane weighed 15 lbs,4ozs with its 6S/5000/30c battery and an 1500/2s/15c running an 8A Megabec. That put watts/lb at 94.
It flew well at half throttle, 8 minute flights typically used 3200mah, it could climb out for 200ft at 45 degrees. A 16/8/3 EMP would have pulled 150-200 watts more, but more battery consumption. I never tried to fly it in an unscale manner. With 1/2 flaps it would land at 15mph or so, topping out at 55mph full throttle.Doug B
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:27 AM
Find More Posts by Deuce
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
Hi James: My TB was the 96" span. I powered it with a Scorpion 4025-12, spinning anEMP 3 blade 15/8 prop. It made 1425watts in. The plane weighed 15 lbs,4ozs with its 6S/5000/30c battery and an 1500/2s/15c running an 8A Megabec. That put watts/lb at 94.
It flew well at half throttle, 8 minute flights typically used 3200mah, it could climb out for 200ft at 45 degrees. A 16/8/3 EMP would have pulled 150-200 watts more, but more battery consumption. I never tried to fly it in an unscale manner. With 1/2 flaps it would land at 15mph or so, topping out at 55mph full throttle.Doug B
Thanks, Doug!

Did you alter any of the construction with lower-vibration e-power in mind, or do you believe any savings in weight would not be worth the effort?

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Jun 20, 2013, 03:51 AM
Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined Apr 2011
1,510 Posts
Doug, are you having Martin do laser cut parts, or are you making your own?

Best of luck, will be following closely!

PS: I've a 90% completed DHC-2 Beaver by MR Aerodesign. It's been waiting for 3 years for me to get the final building done. Maybe your build will inspire me to get it finished.... Martin's designs are fantastic, but the "liteply" in the kits is not very "light".

Odd
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:11 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
3,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Thanks, Doug!

Did you alter any of the construction with lower-vibration e-power in mind, or do you believe any savings in weight would not be worth the effort?

James
I altered the landing gear(both fron and rear), actually mimicking Martins construction to make it far more scale. It also handled landings supremely (some weren't the best). I changed out the front firewall to fuselage 1/4" balsa to allow battery installation, it ended up almost directly under the pilot cockpit area.
I changed out the balsa spars for poplar. the end result was likely 2 lbs heavier than it would have been following the plans. Well worth the effort in my opinion.
On this build I'll definitely be looking to save weight, it has an amazing amount of 1/8" lite ply in it which will either be replaced with balsa or have lots and lots of lightening holes!! Doug B
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:18 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
3,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of odd View Post
Doug, are you having Martin do laser cut parts, or are you making your own?

Best of luck, will be following closely!

PS: I've a 90% completed DHC-2 Beaver by MR Aerodesign. It's been waiting for 3 years for me to get the final building done. Maybe your build will inspire me to get it finished.... Martin's designs are fantastic, but the "liteply" in the kits is not very "light".

Odd
Hi I'm planning on cutting my own parts for the entire build. This plane will have to be built in stages both for its size and its costs. A quick peek show all wing ribs 1/8", I'll use 3/32" except the tube fittings, they'll be 1/8" lite ply. This plane is built like the real one, designed to take a shellacing!!
I'm looking at replacing the cabin area sides with balsa,, drawings show 1/8" ply 14" deep x 24" long, even the doors are ply (at first glance). I hope to keep weight to 25 lbs RTF. Doug B
Old Jun 26, 2013, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by Dangaras
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
4,125 Posts
I currently fly Doug's original TB & his descriotion is dead accurate. Flies, handles and lands like a dream...

I might have to put her up for sale soon though as I need funds for a new project..
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:30 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
3,768 Posts
Hi Dangaras: Really happy to hear your flying the TB and enjoying her.
I forgot to mention an important change to the plane, the firewall was moved ahead 2 5/8" from the plans to put the spinner in the scale place. It took away the stubby'd look of the UN kit and made it look much better.
If you sell her, I hope you pass it on to another Beaver buff who appreciates the planes for what they do for real ( not acrobatic champions) hehe. Doug B
Old Jul 07, 2013, 07:50 AM
Find More Posts by DavidMC
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Jul 2002
397 Posts
Subscribed.

I have the Mr Aerodesign Turbo beaver kit. I am also going to put it on a bit of a diet and cover it with film, not glass and paint it. Anyways, thats going to be my winter project but really looking foward to see your ideas on making this one. I've also built the Unionville turbo beaver 10ish years ago but sold it before flying it as my living and car transportation was too small at the time.

Cheers,
Dave
DavidMC is offline Find More Posts by DavidMC
Old Jul 07, 2013, 08:49 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
3,768 Posts
I expect this TB to take at least 6 months to builds. Martin has designed in all the scale features I wanted, but blowing the plans up 20% means I will be cutting "every" little piece, of which there are hundreds!!!
It will be way cool to get this bird on its way, won't happen for a month or two yet. Just moved to new digs, completed this past Fri, it will take a while to set up again for monster building!
I also need a little $$$$ to start the project. Doug B
Old Aug 01, 2013, 06:19 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
3,768 Posts
Hi everyone!! Just wanted to post something here before it disappears off the pages!
I have been studying the plans now for 2-3 hrs daily, trying to come up with answers to my questions. First, the elevator assly must be removable to fit into my trailer. The answer is it will be built and installed in one piece (42") and removable much like a main wing on most plane ( two dowels and a bolt).
Second is to try to eliminate some of the vast amount of ply in formers and cabin sides. The cabin side is approx. 14" deep x 23 3/4" long. I cannot get 1/8th lite ply over 12" wide, may have to purchase a 5' x 5' birch. The doors are also shown as ply, that not going to happen!!!
I started making a list today of the material - whew, can you say $$$$$.
But to show my good intentions, I did purchase a propeller today from Graves Hobby Rc in Florida. It is a PMT 21 x 10 x3 blade Carbon Fibre. They only had one, so I figured I'd better jump on it. $90.52 + $16 shipping, not too bad.
I've selected some servos for elevator and rudder, XQ Power S4020D's, at 277oz on 6v, and analog servos,XQ S3015M for ailerons and flaps at 219oz on 6v.
I'll need the elevator servo very shortly to install into the stab, so should be placing my order in next 2-3 days.
The only way to get decent prices on wood here is to buy in bundles, but with the sheet counts, there may be some left over for the next (?????) build.
That's it for now, while I wait for material, I'll start making the tail gear assly. Doug B
Old Aug 03, 2013, 02:56 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
3,768 Posts
Just another update! I have been going over the build from the drawings! Something was just not right, the drawings I received in NO way matched up with the Assly proceedures and pics of parts.
I spent most of last night picking out what had been eliminated from the new drawings. It shows the firewall at approx. 5 3/4" from the cowl nose. But the pieces for the firewall were not on the drawing, along with some major ply stringers to mount it.
This morning the answer suddenly revealed itself. The firewall drawn on my plans is 13" back from the cowl nose!!!!!!
That presents a whole new ball game, my motor is 3 7/8" long! The only practical way I see is aluminum standoffs. I split the distance, drawing up a set of standoffs at 5 5/8", then a 1/4" plate, followed by standoffs 3 11/16".
I'll probably include an aluminum brace from the 1/4" plate to the lower firewall and make it carry the Esc. This drawing up took almost 6 hrs!! Guess I'm committed or should be now.
Making a cowl 13" long x 10 12" x 11" will be interesting. I know I'll use the 1/4 plate support ring to carry 1/4" balsa ring in the cowl. I think this calls for a fiberglass cowl now, originally I thought the cowl would be 6" deep and make from balsa!! Whew, this is going to be lo........tttttts of fun. Doug B
Old Aug 07, 2013, 10:57 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
3,768 Posts
With a little more investigating, I found out the window frame and top cabin patterns where missing! A quick email to Martin had a response with new drawings for the parts. Yeah!!!
he also explained his reasoning for moving the firewall back! At this scale he intended to use a gas motor with an extended shaft housing to completely mount the engine within the cowl.
I went ahead and ordered some 6" Kavan wheels with bearings from SIG yesterday, at 3.5ozs per, can't go wrong! I also picked up a sheet of 1/8" x 60 x 60" Baltic birch. I think there's enough there to do the whole plane as I'll be substituting balsa for some of the 19 formers.
In the next little while, I will start cutting the main parts for fuselage, have other commitments going on too, final house clearing at the old address, a possible trip to PEI and the prep for that. I also am waiting for a new starter for my Harley. Need it done and tested before any trip can happen.
In the midst of all this, I managed to make the tail wheel assembly, needs a final sanding to smooth it out. Here's a couple of pic's. Doug B
Old Aug 16, 2013, 09:54 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
3,768 Posts
Progress report! I received the PMT 21/10/3 blade prop, very nice! Weighs 160gr (5.65ozs), amazingly light. Looks very well made and balance check says its perfect!.
Wood has been ordered, parts from both Hobby King and SDS Hobbies are shipped and on their way!! I started cutting 1/8 birch ply parts for fuselage, long ways to go yet. Need to contact SIG, find out whats happening with the Kavan wheels and get some aluminum for motor standoffs.
Been busy with motorcycle repairs, but should get back on the plane soon. DougB