Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 26, 2008, 06:49 AM
United States, NM, Alamogordo
Joined Mar 2007
255 Posts
Alert
Before You Turn Your Transmitter On...

I apologize, but I've got to rant a little here.

Got a Freestyler 3 about two weeks ago. Maidened it three days ago. Three flights. Flew it yesterday, conditions weren't great, but after moving the cg back it really came alive. I was flying alone at the club using the winch.

On the fourth flight after flying it for about 15 minutes, I'm coming back over the field in about 1/4 crow at about 1000' when I notice someone has pulled up at the field and is getting ready to chuck their electric.

My plane quit responding. It went into the corn. To make matters worse, I found it in about 10" of water with two 3421's soaking for about 30 minutes.

And he didn't hang around to apologize or say anything.

Just a reminder-

Bryan

- Who now fully realizes the virtues of 2.4
Bryan Quick is offline Find More Posts by Bryan Quick
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2008, 06:57 AM
London Soarer
UK, Wembury South Hams
Joined Feb 2007
54 Posts
Bryan, what can I say? That person should be tied to a tree and shot with a blunderbuss filled with excreta. 2.4....thinking about it myself, but as I fly in very small groups or alone, have not thought it worth the trouble.
MotoGuzzi750 is offline Find More Posts by MotoGuzzi750
Old Jul 26, 2008, 07:20 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
It's not those you know you have to worry about.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:48 AM
Peoria, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
1,059 Posts
Bryan, RANT AWAY! It sucks losing a model to a careless turn-on. I have my own sad story...

Since I've converted most of my stuff over to 2.4, I've noticed a LOT of anxiety has vanished during my flying sessions.

I hope you can make repairs to your glider. Hang in.

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Jul 26, 2008, 03:46 PM
Europe - Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
1,521 Posts
It was a new glider, toooo bad !!!
Jurgen.
Jurgen is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:19 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,919 Posts
I've been lucky, but I've come close to being shot down. Many years ago, by a slimer. I was flying by myself at a field. I even had my channel number clipped to the antenna of my car, since there was no pin board. My glider started wiggling all over the place and then I heard a zzzzzzzzzWHACK! followed shortly by my glider returning to normal behavior. Another time, the CD messed up frequency control and handed me my transmitter when another guy was still up. (He was using two sites close together, one slope and one thermal, as I recall, both on the same field, coordinating by radio or something.) If I'd been thinking a little faster, maybe I could have turned off and the guy could have saved it. Was kind of sad.

I've seen it happen to other people, too.

It's too bad we don't have a way of harnessing human idiocy to do useful work. Would bring those fuel prices right down....
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Jul 27, 2008, 02:06 AM
Toowoomba, QLD, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
I've just got myself a synth set and it's taking a bit of getting used to.

It ask's you if the frequency is correct and if you wish to transmit...but.... it doesn't ask you if you have your key in the board or in the correct slot in the board.

A bit of a challange when you change model and it changes frequency and you think "Yeah, that's the right frequency for that plane"... Doh, what about your key that's still sitting in the other channel slot.

I haven't made the mistake yet but its getting close, I can feel it, too many years of putting my key in the board and only changing keys when I change transmitter (small clubs, no arguments over frequencies)
bjr_93tz is offline Find More Posts by bjr_93tz
Old Jul 27, 2008, 07:33 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,240 Posts
This is a sad story. What are the chances of two guys walking onto the same field on the same channel. 1 in 50?

Most of my planes are still on 72, but I have started converting over. My off field planes have gone first, mostly slope planes.

There are a lot of 72 MHz RTFs out there so that is the real source of danger for 72 MHz flyers. The owner just has no idea.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr