HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2014, 12:12 PM
Joined Feb 2014
21 Posts
Discussion
suspended building

I need some professional help; I stopped building in my shop because the temperature at 11AM is about 115 Deg. I'm building a Stinson SR9 giant scale and would like to know if storing the wing and tail which is complete, will it warp or do something horrible. One wing is in a jig, leading edge down with supports on both sides the other wing is on my building table.The temperature problem is dry heat when I have a transom fan blowing heat out it comes down to about 100-105 deg. I used tight bond for glue, Thanks Nick R.
Nick R. is offline Find More Posts by Nick R.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2014, 12:26 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,420 Posts
I used to live in hot summer temps, and I never noticed heat affecting the glue (Titebond, Elmer's carpenter glue, etc) or the balsa. I had bala and kits stored for over 28 years in the heat/dry and it is still in WONDERFULL condition.
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jul 05, 2014, 09:34 PM
United States, CT, Hartland
Joined Jul 2011
139 Posts
Humidity changes are usually the biggest problem for wood (wood will grow and shrink quite a bit with changes in moisture content). As long as your humidity level remains reasonably stable, so will your wings.
aymodeler is online now Find More Posts by aymodeler
Old Jul 06, 2014, 10:25 AM
Joined Feb 2014
21 Posts
Thanks guys,maybe I will sleep tonight
Old Jul 06, 2014, 01:42 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,514 Posts
I don't like the idea of storing your wing and tail in 115 degree heat. If there is any moisture at all in the air, that could turn out bad. Can't you bring it in the house and stack it in the corner of a room until the hot season is over?
builderdude is online now Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Jul 06, 2014, 02:37 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,187 Posts
The last few years I've been able, and trying to do my major frame work(IE wood flying, balsa shavings, etc.. ).. in the winter months in my garage....that I can keep nice with my small heater.... then as it warms here in the San Joaquin Valley in the summer(106 today.. with a few high clouds, so I have a tad more humidity).. I move in the house for covering, finish stuff...clean quiet stuff.

I think I'd worry more about humidity then overall temp.. if the frames/work is kept well out of direct sun.... even covered in some way from any UV or elements.. other then temp, I think it would take a bit more then 115 to make any diff in dry conditions..

One thing for sure.. in those conditions.... 30min epoxy would be rock hard in 20min..
I wish you well.. Enjoy your build when you can.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Jul 07, 2014, 12:43 PM
Joined Feb 2014
21 Posts
Well I can't store the parts under the bed or low in the closet floor,the dog loves balsa.No need to ask who is more important,dog or balsa parts, so I guess high on the dresser and if he gets up there I will shove whatever is left up you know where
Old Jul 07, 2014, 01:14 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick R. View Post
Well I can't store the parts under the bed or low in the closet floor,the dog loves balsa.No need to ask who is more important,dog or balsa parts, so I guess high on the dresser and if he gets up there I will shove whatever is left up you know where
My problem is cats.
I was working on my current build and had the wings laid out on my pool table (which I often borrow for setting things on which requires a perfectly flat, level surface for things like setting dihedral, etc).
Well, the cats decided to wrestle right on top of my brand new wing and I heard cracking and breaking and chased them off. I had to repair 2 ribs and some stringers.

Yeah, you definitely want to keep your build away from animals.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 10:58 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,508 Posts
I used to sweat on my wood in my garage until I got fed up. Now it's got a big window unit (18000 btu) and works fine in my 1000sq' shop. It just takes the fun out of building in that kind of heat.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jul 09, 2014, 10:59 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,514 Posts
I've been considering sticking a window unit AC in my garage too, because in the southwest summer heat, I either only work out there in the mornings or not at all.
Old Jul 09, 2014, 01:45 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,508 Posts
Best thing I ever did. Also just put a heater in the garage. I'm year round now.

As for cats, a good solution is to make them think the garage is hell. We have two along with a bunch of chickens ( I live rural). Turn on a big loud air compressor and they will beat themselves to death trying to get out. No animals allowed in my shop.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1