Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 17, 2014, 02:06 AM
Joined Feb 2005
52 Posts
Gas to electric rc plsnes

Hi all

I was a Just electric Man, had some planes with Hacker Motor, model motors = to 80 cc, some =50cc and 30 and 20cc electric . As soon as you start flight flying hard the batteries just does not last. I my case My su29s with flight power batt burned while in flight. The failure I had with batt it just does not justify the cost. I have hyperion chargers and the batteries are charged and stored correctly. Gas are the only way to go from 20cc and up.

My 5 cents off experience.

Cj
cjels is offline Find More Posts by cjels
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:25 PM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
Whether you use an 8 cell setup or 12cell setup doesn't matter, the packs are going to weigh the same basically. With an 8 cell setup, I would have needed to use 7500 mAh cells to get 6 minutes of flying time.
Ya I'm ok with 4 minute flights I just buy more batteries. No worries, I have both gas and electric, gas are great in July but SUCK in the cold of winter January and February LOL.

T.
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Apr 18, 2014, 07:48 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,786 Posts
Any video of this thing flying? would love to see video.
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old May 13, 2014, 06:31 PM
Dave Raines
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Aug 2004
705 Posts
My AeroWorks Freestyle Extra 260 e-conversion

After much hand-ringing, I decided to bite the bullet and alter the motor box so that the lipos could be moved forward to achieve the desired C/G. I used 1/8" birch plywood for the sides and a lite ply/2mm thick G10 fiberglass sandwich for the new firewall. I needed a high strength material for the firewall since I intended to make large cooling holes for the batteries on either side of the motor. the vertical line is the original position of the firewall.
Lemmiwinks is offline Find More Posts by Lemmiwinks
Old May 14, 2014, 10:38 PM
Joined Feb 2014
32 Posts
Great info all! good looking mod on the box!
turboflier is offline Find More Posts by turboflier
Old Aug 19, 2014, 06:45 AM
Joined Oct 2012
66 Posts
Some results

Just rigged and have flown several flights with an Aeroworks Edge 540 30cc. size. Scorpion motor S2 5525-210kv. Runs off 2ea 5s-5800mah 30C lipo's. Anywhere from 13.5-20min flight times based upon the throttle use. The 13.5 was only 41% battery usage so the rest is extrapolated. I have yet to run batteries down to max 20% left. Temp is 112F MAX (in 95F ambient heat). Max draw is 60A and cruises at 12A. Plenty of vertical climb and estimated 1.37:1 torque to weight using an 18x10 (I think) prop. Sorry no comparison weights to gas but data comparison on previous page is nicely laid out.

FYI, I tried all types of motors (eCalc) using Hacker, Axi etc and never hit on good numbers across the board for this and another Aeroworks plane. When I plugged in Scorpion...boom. And the results show that they were good choices. It pays to keep in mind that electric is a SYSTEM and the sum of the parts. Select each component carefully and they will work well.

That being said, I recently rigged an electric 23lb 1/4 scale. Big motor and big batteries in a big plane. I decided that 30cc is the max I would run an electric. Not that it can't be done but those brick batteries really need to be considered in overall flying weight. It's gets ugly real quick. But 30cc or smaller...I'd say the choice is yours.
Brotozoa is offline Find More Posts by Brotozoa
Last edited by Brotozoa; Aug 19, 2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM
Stickman
Ottawa
Joined May 2009
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotozoa View Post
Just rigged and have flown several flights with an Aeroworks Edge 540 30cc. size. Scorpion motor S2 5525-210kv. Runs off 2ea 5s-5800mah 30C lipo's. Anywhere from 13.5-20min flight times based upon the throttle use. The 13.5 was only 41% battery usage so the rest is extrapolated. I have yet to run batteries down to max 20% left. Temp is 112F MAX (in 95F ambient heat). Max draw is 60A and cruises at 12A. Plenty of vertical climb and estimated 1.37:1 torque to weight using an 18x10 (I think) prop. Sorry no comparison weights to gas but data comparison on previous page is nicely laid out.

FYI, I tried all types of motors (eCalc) using Hacker, Axi etc and never hit on good numbers across the board for this and another Aeroworks plane. When I plugged in Scorpion...boom. And the results show that they were good choices. It pays to keep in mind that electric is a SYSTEM and the sum of the parts. Select each component carefully and they will work well.

That being said, I recently rigged an electric 23lb 1/4 scale. Big motor and big batteries in a big plane. I decided that 30cc is the max I would run an electric. Not that it can't be done but those brick batteries really need to be considered in overall flying weight. It's gets ugly real quick. But 30cc or smaller...I'd say the choice is yours.
Two questions: What type of prop are you using, is it an electric prop? Secondly what are the watts of the power system?
rmarius is offline Find More Posts by rmarius