HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2014, 04:12 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,066 Posts
Thanks Rich.

Tom, confession time, I 'noticed' that the spats for my Multiplex Acromaster looked about right for my Spyro 3 right back when I started building the Burky. As luck would have it I found a pair, new, for next to nothing on eBay. Purchased them and put them aside for a rainy day when I was going to fit them to the Spyro (needed to make a third one). Never got around to doing the third one so I stole them from myself for the Burky!!!
No credit for buying stuff!!!!!!!!
PaulB is online now Find More Posts by PaulB
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2014, 05:11 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,020 Posts
But full credit for ingenuity.
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Mar 06, 2014, 07:31 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,066 Posts
What a Lunch Break.......

Woke up to the weather forecast telling me to expect 13 – 15 degrees and 0 wind with clear blue skies

Popped my virgin Burky into the car with 3 pack and my charger so when lunch break came around I was ready to rock and roll

At this point I would love to say that it was a total non-event but cannot!!

However, I can say that I flew all 3 packs out (20 minutes total flight time) and my Baby ROCKS I felt really comfortable with her straight away and even before I got my teething troubles out of the way I was doing lovely low slow passes and banking and yanking with total confidence far lower than I am comfortable flying my Spyro. Not quite as ‘forgiving’ as my Crane but really looks the part .

My teething troubles were that the head was angled far too far back so for the first 2 minutes or so I was actually hovering (as in prop hanging) most of the time. Full down trim and low throttle got her stable enough to land so I did and screwed the pushrods in by 3 turns (all that I had) to try again. Better but still pitching up and very sensitive to throttle but by leaving the throttle alone she flew just fine and switching the motor off resulted in a slightly nose down straight glide down (didn’t have enough power to pull the nose up to land motor off but a quick blip about 3 feet up resulted in a slow soft vertical touchdown). I then repositioned the servo arms I tooth down and this will full down trim and the screwed in rods got her back into the comfort zone.

Taking off (when I got it right) were almost Lady Like, gently rising off the ground straight and level and pretty much on her own. Left turns were a peach to fly and right, although she drops the nose a bit, were really easy to get nice and flat or banked and yanked after a couple of minutes stick time.

All in all I am really pleased, huge grin on my face with no interest in work, can’t wait to fly her again tomorrow with the push rods shortened.

Once again Rich, a HUGE thank you for another design which has already given me more pleasure that many of my other models.

Old Mar 06, 2014, 12:12 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,820 Posts
Paul,
Congratulations! but, please no thanks for me as you are the one who has done an excellent build. I am glad it all went relatively smoothly for you and that you are enjoying it. That is what its all about

Video?

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Mar 07, 2014, 01:49 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings View Post
Paul,

Video?

Rich

Burky 11 (3 min 27 sec)

Flight number 4 in quite a breeze, the wind sock which can be seen is a full sized airfield one as opposed to a light weight model one.

Quality is poor, sorry.

Old Mar 07, 2014, 01:51 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,066 Posts
PS, the half decent footage starts at around 50 seconds.................
Old Mar 07, 2014, 01:52 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,066 Posts
PPS, check out the landing 'backwards'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 07, 2014, 02:46 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,020 Posts
Nice going Paul. A trick I learned in high winds was to push the stick forward upon touchdown and the rotor will almost stop on it's own. Haven't had a blow over since I started doing that. Tom
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:04 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,820 Posts
Paul,
That goes well, bet you are really pleased! thanks for taking the time to get a video made, it has made my day!
Can you remind me of your power train please? looks like there is plenty of power on tap compared to mine!

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Mar 08, 2014, 02:06 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,066 Posts
Tom, tnx for that.

Rich, I am using an E Max CF2822 turning a 9 X 4,7 slow fly prop fed with 1300 mah 3C. I actually thought that I could use a little bit more umph!!

I just put my Baby on the scales and she tipped them to 608 Grams ready to fly.
Old Mar 08, 2014, 02:29 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,066 Posts
I just checked the angles which I have on the head so that I can shorten the push rods to get the servo arms back in the correct place. 8 Degrees of left trim and 0 degrees in fore - aft (elevator) both measured with a digital spirit level (aren't smart phones great) relative to the elevator (tail plane).
Old Mar 11, 2014, 08:47 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,066 Posts
I just tried a 1800 mah pack to raise (lower) the hang angle from 12 to 14 degrees because my head was at – 1 degree for level flight and she seemed a bit pitchy. Took off fine and trimmed her out (back trim required as expected and hoped for). Motor switched off resulted in a nice straight positive ‘glide’ with enough power to arrest the forward flight for a vertical touch down in next to no wind, lovely.

Took off again and needed permanent full throttle to maintain height and the esc was making a high pitched squealing!!! New motor fitted last night with the same result today, even with a full battery she struggles to gain height and you can hear the squeal in the air (it is NOT a loose prop driver or bell). In the air she flies fine, rock solid and as we currently are enjoying nice sunny days with little wind she looks great chugging past.

It looks like I am changing the ESC tonight and taking both a 1300 and an 1800 for the next trip. Already located a slightly more powerful motor if that fails (HK 2830), it could just be a case of not enough umpf!!!!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:13 PM
Joined Apr 2005
997 Posts
I've finished the replacement for the first Burky II...that would make this Burky II-2, wouldn't it? Anyway, it managed to turn in three decent flights this morning after several take-off tumbles. The new blade set is solid balsa instead of the foam-cored balsa-skinned ones on the first version, and it's about half again as heavy and much slower to spin up. There were some differences in handling in the air...a little heavier on the controls, but not bad. No video this time but here's a pic of the new one:
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:51 AM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
A very destinktive look I like it.

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:10 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,066 Posts
Four really good flights today. Wind was a bit gusty between 5 and 15 KPH but fine, gave a nice positive start direction and span the blades up nicely.

I had swapped the ESC out and it solved the problem, far more power with nice steep climb outs and just over half throttle to chug around.

Todays test was to fly with both the 1300 mah and the 1800 mah packs, the smaller one put the hang angle at 12 degrees and the larger one at 14 and I found that the higher hang angle with the larger pack gave her much nicer flight characteristics. she was more 'solid' in the air and I had the feeling that the turns were flatter. Switching off the motor and she dropped pretty much horizontally with he small pack and put the nose down slightly with the larger one (leaving the elevator stick alone). With the nose down she was easier to steer and the flair was fine for a vertical touch down. Full down auto, open the tap and climb out after a 5 yard ground run, SEXY....................

The blades with the slightly rearwards holes seem to work fine to me, spin up is good (0.5 mm shim 7 mm from the bolt hole), they seem to produce plenty of lift and I get the impression that they rotate at a pretty constant speed in normal flight. I may try a set of the thin AJ blades (when I get around to covering them) but am perfectly happy as they are.

I did an extended test flight with one of the 1800 packs, during the flight I had done loads of full throttle Homesick Angel climb outs (amp eaters) and only put 927 mA back in after an 8 minute flight so with my 'standard' 6.5 minute flights the packs should last forever.

Next project????????????