HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:42 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,856 Posts
Man that is crazy powerful setup. Are you using the stock 20T pinion and 88T spur?
TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2014, 01:28 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,856 Posts
Had a blast yesterday with the brushless setup. Super long run time and the motor and ESC were very cool. This was on tarmac but I still had a lot of fun. There was a speed bump that I used for jumping and the area is huge with several split road entry/exits. Also some elevation changes to. I'm thinking of making another video with this location but since it's so large it difficult to find a location for the tripod to cover the whole area.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 01:43 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,482 Posts
That's with that Tacon shorty motor? What gear ratio are you using?
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2014, 02:35 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,856 Posts
No it's with a non-shorty 4300kv but it's still a 380 in 540 can motor. I'm using 15T pinion and stock 88T spur. I may test a shorty in this chassis in the near future just to see if it could handle the weight without overheating. On hard surface it may work ok but will likely overheat on grass.

Oh btw the shortys are only $15 now!
Last edited by TheKingPhisher; Apr 21, 2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 02:43 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,482 Posts
Any idea what total gearing that combo of 15T and 88T amounts to? Gives an idea what gearing to choose should this motor be fitted to other cars.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:17 PM
United States, IN, Valparaiso
Joined Sep 2012
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPhisher View Post
Man that is crazy powerful setup. Are you using the stock 20T pinion and 88T spur?
running the 88t spur with a 23t pinion

I took it out after the crash and put in a castle sct esc and castle 3800kv brushless motor.. got the trans fixed and will run it again soon!
allanon1965 is offline Find More Posts by allanon1965
Old Apr 27, 2014, 04:07 PM
Joined Sep 2012
54 Posts
well I modified a 32p associated 4x4 58t spur to fit my baja, set it up with a 17t pinion for a ratio of 3.41...took it out and holy crap! this thing was FAST! Until I snapped one of the cvd rear axles lol! I gotta stop trying to pop wheelies when I am on concrete! right now I can be going half throttle down the road and pull it full throttle and it pops a wheelie for about 40ft... well, I gotta order a replacement set of cvd axles...
Old Apr 27, 2014, 06:08 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,856 Posts
That's pretty cool that you've modified it to use spurs of a different pitch from another brand vehicle. Was there a reason for the mod? Duratrax has quite a few optional spurs and plenty of 48p pinions to choose from.

I can tell you're not concerned about the cost of the CVDs adding up by the way you abuse your Bug! Anyway I love having the CVDs and I think all models should have them at least as upgrades. It's cool that Duratrax didn't have to rely on the aftermarket to make them. I've got some aluminum CVDs on a couple of my onroad cars and they make them very smooth.

I'm thinking I should upgrade to the brushless differential, idler and top shaft when I upgrade my 2nd Bug with brushless. I want one of my Bugs to be stronger just to see how far I can push it. Is there anything else I would need other than the 3 mentioned parts from the Brushless Evader transmission?

Anyway the weather was fantastic today but I stayed up really late on Sat..went to sleep at 6am...so I couldn't get up today to have fun with the Evaders and my helis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Any idea what total gearing that combo of 15T and 88T amounts to? Gives an idea what gearing to choose should this motor be fitted to other cars.
Sorry I have no idea what the final ratio is. I don't know the number of teeth that are on the idler gear and top shaft gear and differential gear to calculate. Maybe allanon1965 knows?
Last edited by TheKingPhisher; Apr 27, 2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 06:43 PM
Joined Sep 2012
54 Posts
thanks! I used a 32p spur due to the 48p spurs stripping out way too easy on the castle creations sct 3800kv setup..the 32p has much deeper and stronger teeth. I am running it on 2s lipos. I upgraded mine to the brushless evader ext transmission and it has a different slipper arrangement so if you upgrade it, be sure to buy the slipper assembly for the brushers evader ext trans.

solo...I don't know what the final ratio is either...
Old Apr 28, 2014, 01:57 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,856 Posts
Thanks for the info regarding the brushless slipper...added to my Tower wishlist.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:21 PM
Joined Sep 2012
54 Posts
Well i finally got around to replacing the broken cvd axle and she is running again! Man these are a blast to drive! Going to put the evader ext2 front control arms and tie rods on for greater stability
Old Aug 16, 2014, 01:23 AM
Joined Sep 2012
54 Posts
I just put in a 3s lipo on the cc 3800kv/sct esc setup and it would fly if i put wings on it lol!
going to a large parking lot in the next few days to measure speed..i estimate in the 50-60mph range....
Old Aug 17, 2014, 02:00 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,856 Posts
Nice! Looking forward to your results. One of these days I will put my IPhone in my Bug and measure the speed...pretty sure it's only around 28 mph...it's geared more for handling than flat out speed.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:31 PM
Joined Sep 2012
54 Posts
baja front suspension

I got the front control arms and links from an evader ext2 put on today, will try and get a speed run done soon, the extra width of the evader suspension will help keep the baja stable at higher speed