Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Discussion
My First Good Flying Plane was a

used VooDoo with a black head 40 and a broken wing. The guy said the engine ran perfectly and we settled for cheap. I fixed the wing, changed out the push rod for an adjustable with a matching nylon control horn, replaced the metal bell crank with a nice Sig 3" nylon, swapped out the tank for a 3 1/2 Oz surge and discovered the benefit of balanced wooden props.
The plane flew around 50- 60 MPH, broke well, flew the same inverted, turned a 4 foot loop, and pulled just right at even 90 degrees.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Last edited by tigreflyer; Oct 13, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
I haven't found one as yet...
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:18 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
839 Posts
I built a Circus King in 1953. It would do anything. I was nowhere near as good, and crashed it several times before it was too badly damaged to repair again. I had the Ring Jr that same year, not used much until someone reminded me that the less mass, the less impact energy.

It survived crashes that would have badly damaged the larger plane, and I finally was doing lazy eights and some plain outside loops, from the top of the circle, but not inverted, yet. It was probably the plane that LASTED long enough to think of as my first good-flying model.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kiwi View Post
I built a Circus King in 1953. It would do anything. I was nowhere near as good, and crashed it several times before it was too badly damaged to repair again. I had the Ring Jr that same year, not used much until someone reminded me that the less mass, the less impact energy.

It survived crashes that would have badly damaged the larger plane, and I finally was doing lazy eights and some plain outside loops, from the top of the circle, but not inverted, yet. It was probably the plane that LASTED long enough to think of as my first good-flying model.

Kiwi
Yep! Ringmaster Jr here too.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:05 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,553 Posts
A Guillows 'Zero' powered with a Cox 049. It flew and that was it! I No loops, no wingovers... nuthin' but roundy- round with a little humpty-bump every now and again. It sure was fun! I was so excited to have successfully built the kit and to have strapped that engine on it!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:55 PM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
617 Posts
My first good flying model was a Veco Warrior with a McCoy 29 Sportsman up front. If I had the plans I would build it again, using good wood, but use an OS 25 FP engine.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold is offline Find More Posts by Clancy Arnold
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:18 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
1974 - 38" wingspan Sterling Kit S-2 P-51 profile with Testors McCoy .19 Red Head Stunt.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy Arnold View Post
My first good flying model was a Veco Warrior with a McCoy 29 Sportsman up front. If I had the plans I would build it again, using good wood, but use an OS 25 FP engine.
Clancy
Plans available from the AMA, I just checked the website.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiThumper View Post
1974 - 38" wingspan Sterling Kit S-2 P-51 profile with Testors McCoy .19 Red Head Stunt.
The first successful loop I ever did was with one of those and an ancient 3-bolt case Torpedo .29 Green Head.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:44 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
839 Posts
Quote:
At various times, I had a Squaw, first series, Tomahawks(3), two from the first series, one from the second, and a Warrior. The FP25 is so much more powerful than the 19s and 29s of yesterday that a FP 15 is a closer match to that old McCoy.

I had a Fox 25, the three-bolt one, on the Squaw, not built until 1962, K&B 35s on the first two Tomahawks, a K&B 19 on the last Tomahawk, and I am not certain what on the Warrior, but I think it was a Fox 19 (another three-bolt old version).

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kiwi View Post
At various times, I had a Squaw, first series, Tomahawks(3), two from the first series, one from the second, and a Warrior. The FP25 is so much more powerful than the 19s and 29s of yesterday that a FP 15 is a closer match to that old McCoy.

I had a Fox 25, the three-bolt one, on the Squaw, not built until 1962, K&B 35s on the first two Tomahawks, a K&B 19 on the last Tomahawk, and I am not certain what on the Warrior, but I think it was a Fox 19 (another three-bolt old version).

Kiwi
The old Fox .25 3-bolt case is a sweetheart motor. Don Still used it to good effect in his later Stukas.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Haven't found that, but would the Veco Squaw or Chief suffice?

Veco Squaw - by Joe Wagner from Veco - 1951 - 39in span - IC C/L LowWing

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=270

Veco Chief - from Veco - 54in span - IC C/L LowWing

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=466
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:04 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,050 Posts
My first successful ukie was a Jim Walker/American Junior FireCat. Powered with one of those airflow exhaust Enya .29's.

The kits were a notch above the other brands in quality and fabrication.

Second plane was a Midwest Magician. Flew that with a Forster .29, then a Johnson .35.
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Furutani View Post
My first successful ukie was a Jim Walker/American Junior FireCat. Powered with one of those airflow exhaust Enya .29's.

The kits were a notch above the other brands in quality and fabrication.

Second plane was a Midwest Magician. Flew that with a Forster .29, then a Johnson .35.
I once had one of the "teardrop exhaust" Enyas, very nice motor.
Jim Walker's stuff was always top drawer. If you have any of the late Bob Smurthwaite's stuff you have the same- he learned it from Jim.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:11 AM
2948 scale Combat
Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
600 Posts
In 1973 I picked up a Ringmaster with a Fox .35 that was built in 1954 and I only paid $15.00 for it... This thing flew like a champ, I did it in one day in 1985 but the engine is still runnig
strong, I just put it on a Flite Streak..
I had a Shoe String Stunter Stunter that was no slouch eather, I just built another one of those.

I never had any hoped up engines but we allways broke them in right, untill we got into COMBAT
critter1340 is offline Find More Posts by critter1340
Last edited by critter1340; Oct 14, 2012 at 09:28 AM.