HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Dec 2005
58 Posts
Discussion
building boards??

what is being used for building boards...i.e. balsa wings. Stores used to carry homosote ,4x8 sheets...cant find it anymore. Need something that you can use stick pins.
Halfbrit42 is offline Find More Posts by Halfbrit42
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:10 PM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
Ceiling tile contact cemented to a flat surface.
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Oct 2004
604 Posts
I framed up an 18" x 48" piece of 3/4 " ply on 1"x2" oak, nice and straight. When in use , i place it on an old bar stool, when not in use , it just stands up in a corner , out of the way .I also made a removeable bolt on 24" extension for the bigger sections. I cover it with a piece of ceiling tile and cut off the extra width , a couple of small dabs of construction adhesive holds it in place , just be sure to press the ceiling tile down firmly.
I have built no less than a dozen projects on the current board , no problems with pinning spars, ribs or whatever to it .
If you need to replace the surface , just pop off the used ceiling tile , remove any adhesive that has remained on the ply and start over . Cheap and easy.
jetmaven is online now Find More Posts by jetmaven
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:41 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,716 Posts
I get Homasote at Menards. Check out www.homasote.com for a list of suppliers. It is still the best material to build models on when using pins. Ceiling tiles are to soft to hold things form. Drywall is to hard. Cork is not bad but Homasote is cheap and has the right characteristics. I build on a piece that I have had for about 7 years. If I get a glue spot it can be sanded flat. It is just a compressed cellulose material. My father used it for exterior siding on a shed in the back yard. I painted it and some 40 years later it is still in great shape.
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:10 PM
United States, IN, Mishawaka
Joined Sep 2009
219 Posts
I bought a 4x8 homosote sheet at Menard's about 7 months ago. They had it in the store.
Steve Bailey is offline Find More Posts by Steve Bailey
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:32 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
I still like my drywall for building on. I've never had any problems getting pins into it and they hold very well. If it starts getting too many pinholes in it, a little spackle, a light sanding and it's good as new. I just paint the ends to prevent moisture from seeping in to the board, but other than that I don't do anything else to it.

I've used drop ceiling tiles, homasote, sugar pine and several other types of materials to build on through the years and I always go back to the drywall. It should also be noted that I rarely if ever use CA glues and if any wood glue gets onto the drywall, it sands off without any damage to the drywall. (Try that with CA glues! )
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:30 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,919 Posts
A layer or two of foam core board attached to a flat surface works very nicely, but is not especially cheap.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:11 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,854 Posts
I am still using 1/4" cork tiles over 3/4" MDF framed with 1"x2"s or so.
Someday I may invest in magnetic building board systems.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Dec 2005
58 Posts
Thanx everyone!! just changed out the stock prop on my Radian to an 11/8...that ought to kick some butt...
Halfbrit42 is offline Find More Posts by Halfbrit42
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:07 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,050 Posts
I prefer jelutong or sugar pine planks, but these are getting to be hard to find. The Great Planes board is very nice. See: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPF36&P=7

There is also a discussion ongoing here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1582494

- Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:46 PM
Conroe,TX
USA, TX, Conroe
Joined Aug 2004
53 Posts
Yep have the Great planes building board has held up great.
roboto65 is offline Find More Posts by roboto65
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Oct 2004
604 Posts
If you opt for the ceiling tile approach, you may want to brush on 2 coats of any left over color wall paint , flat , satin , it doesn't matter which. It firms up the surface.
jetmaven is online now Find More Posts by jetmaven
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:00 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,240 Posts
2X4 ceiling tile on a flat surface works for me. Finished side down.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:54 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmaven View Post
If you opt for the ceiling tile approach, you may want to brush on 2 coats of any left over color wall paint , flat , satin , it doesn't matter which. It firms up the surface.
The paint won't soak in and warp the tile? Never heard of this idea, but I'm open minded and interested....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
2X4 ceiling tile on a flat surface works for me. Finished side down.
Ditto, that's what I use. Cheap, flat enough for my woodies, holds pins great, and just throw away and replace when they get ratty.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:45 AM
Moses Lake, Wa.
Joined Apr 2008
480 Posts
A hollow core bedroom door works.
MWCores is online now Find More Posts by MWCores