Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:45 PM
SemperFi!
United States, TX, Texarkana
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Question
Need recommendation on a decent transmitter for FPV

Ok everyone,
I continue to see how spektrum just isn't hacking it in the FPV world. So, if I decide to keep my dx6i or sell isn't my question, but rather a decent transmitter to use for my FPV setup? I want to know if I can still use 2.4ghz tech and still continue to reach out there at long ranges, progressively with my FPV equip?

Meaning, is there a radio out there that still uses 2.4ghz and get great range while flying FPV? Or do I have to switch to 72mhz? I love the simplicity of 2.4, so I would prefer to stay with that radio of able to.

Thanks for everyone's input..
Brian
BriGuy82 is offline Find More Posts by BriGuy82
Last edited by BriGuy82; Aug 19, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:26 PM
SemperFi!
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
No body has any input? Just trying to see if I'm gonna need a new radio with my 5.8ghz FPV setup that Anixs gave to me..
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:04 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,267 Posts
generally, 2.4 limits your range to under 1km, or maybe a lot less. Say if you just want fly at a local RC club or just want to fly a multicopter then maybe 2.4 is great.

Now the more powerful FRSky modules using 2.4 can get more range, even multiple km or tens of km especially if you use a patch antenna on the transmitter, and/or a signal amplifier. But getting over 1km with 2.4 is an exception not commonplace.

Bottom line, you can get in the air and fly nearby with 2.4. It only takes a minute to swap in a different receiver when you decide to upgrade to 72 or UHF.

As for Spektrum ... one of the lesser brands to use for FPV, imho. I would get a Turnigy 9x, then plug in UHF or FRSKy later on.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:47 PM
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jul 2012
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
Now the more powerful FRSky modules using 2.4 can get more range, even multiple km or tens of km especially if you use a patch antenna on the transmitter, and/or a signal amplifier.
How does the FrSky work with a patch antenna?

My understanding that the patch antenna is quite directional, which would mean that your controller has to be pointing (at least approximately) towards the plane. When you're 2 or 3 km away (and possibly wearing goggles etc), how do you keep the Tx pointed in the right direction?
klaw81 is online now Find More Posts by klaw81
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:49 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
With completely stock FrSky, you should be able to get 1-2 miles. With a FrSky patch antenna thingy ($5-$9 on HK), you should be able to get 3-5 miles. With amplifier and the patch, 10 miles is totally possible. Getting turnigy 9x, flashing it to er9x and putting FrSky to it makes the radio compete with some $500 radios and is just awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaw81 View Post
How does the FrSky work with a patch antenna?

My understanding that the patch antenna is quite directional, which would mean that your controller has to be pointing (at least approximately) towards the plane. When you're 2 or 3 km away (and possibly wearing goggles etc), how do you keep the Tx pointed in the right direction?
Most OSDs have a home arrow so you can use it to know where to point it.
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:08 PM
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jul 2012
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koo29 View Post
With completely stock FrSky, you should be able to get 1-2 miles. With a FrSky patch antenna thingy ($5-$9 on HK), you should be able to get 3-5 miles. With amplifier and the patch, 10 miles is totally possible. Getting turnigy 9x, flashing it to er9x and putting FrSky to it makes the radio compete with some $500 radios and is just awesome..
I already have 9X and ER9X running the stock Turnigy Tx/Rx combo, so both my control and video (5.8Ghz 200mw CP) are keeping me to about 1km max at present.

Once I feel like that is limiting me, I will go for a bigger video Tx and FrSky - that shouldn't be a lot of extra money for a decent upgrade. Can you tell me which module I should go for on HobbyKing to suit the 9x? There are 2 modules which look pretty similar, I can't really tell what the difference is.

I'd like to be able to quickly swap back to the Turnigy module for park-flying (I already have heaps of receivers) - is this possible given the 9X's annoying built-in antenna?

Quote:
I guess so long as you're within 45 degrees of pointing it at the plane you're going to be okay. I was thinking you might need an extra antenna tracker or something...
klaw81 is online now Find More Posts by klaw81
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:25 PM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14349
That one is cheaper and comes with a receiver that doesn't have telemetry. So it doesn't communicate back to your 9x.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Module_RX.html
That one has a receiver with telemetry and the module starts beeping when the signal is getting weak.
I bought the cheaper one and then just another receiver with telemetry. This way I can use the telemetry one on my skywalker and the other one on any other plane I want to have 100% confidence flying.

I removed the 9x module, unsoldered the wire and removed the antenna. Then soldered the coax cable back to the 9x module, hotglued the antenna back to the module and now I have 2 different modules I can use.
Vids of this are on youtube. Remember, the coax cable has the inner cable and a ground cable which both need to be soldered.

Your 9x might have this annoying pin protector when you removed the flysky module (the stock 9x one), you need to remove it to get frsky to fit. First open your 9x, removed the board that has pins, and use pliers to removed it with brute force.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:33 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,267 Posts
Quote:

hmmmmm That doesn't make sense to me. The home arrow lets you know which way to point the plane, but I don't think it would so easily help you point your RC transmitter. The guys that use the FRSKY patch just plan out their flight and keep the transmitter pointed in that general direction while they fly. If you're like me, I wear goggles and have less awareness of the direction of the plane than you'd need if you use a patch (I use 9x w UHF). Maybe having RSSI indicated on the OSD would help you keep the patch aligned? Of course, there is a risk of not being aligned and I have seen youtube vid of a guy losing RC control using a FRSKY setup and patch.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:45 PM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
hmmmmm That doesn't make sense to me. The home arrow lets you know which way to point the plane, but I don't think it would so easily help you point your RC transmitter. The guys that use the FRSKY patch just plan out their flight and keep the transmitter pointed in that general direction while they fly. If you're like me, I wear goggles and have less awareness of the direction of the plane than you'd need if you use a patch (I use 9x w UHF). Maybe having RSSI indicated on the OSD would help you keep the patch aligned? Of course, there is a risk of not being aligned and I have seen youtube vid of a guy losing RC control using a FRSKY setup and patch.
If you have an OSD with RTH you really don't need to worry about this. And one of my future projects is to get RSSI displayed on my nova osd from the frsky module. Not very simple but probably worth it
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:28 PM
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
293 Posts
I'd *strongly* suggest a UHF long range system. I use EzUHF but there are many options out there (TSLRS, DragonLink, RangeLink, etc.). You (usually) don't need a new radio because UHF systems simply piggyback onto your current radio through the trainer port. As for range, I've personally stuck within 5-10 miles but these systems can go much farther.
anixs is offline Find More Posts by anixs
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:18 AM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
I agree with anixs. If you can spend $200 and you are confident that FPV is something you want to keep doing, investing on DragonLink or something similar is an investment that you won't regret. If you don't plan to fly very far out (under 3 miles, FrSky will be sufficient for you and you can always get the DragonLink later.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:03 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
All the UHF long range system are awesome, but if you want to use your DX6i with them, I would go for the Range Link. It's directly compatible with the low signal output of the trainer port on the DX6i (no hacking needed), and on top of that, you'll be able to use head tracking (the mixing is happening at the UHF system) because the DX6i does not support head tracking. So with Range Link, it's a win-win situation for a Spektrum Tx.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:26 AM
SemperFi!
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
With completely stock FrSky, you should be able to get 1-2 miles. With a FrSky patch antenna thingy ($5-$9 on HK), you should be able to get 3-5 miles. With amplifier and the patch, 10 miles is totally possible. Getting turnigy 9x, flashing it to er9x and putting FrSky to it makes the radio compete with some $500 radios and is just awesome.

Koo, is this the patch you are referring to? And cant I get these same results if I use this patch on a Spektrum radio?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20108
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:31 AM
SemperFi!
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
All the UHF long range system are awesome, but if you want to use your DX6i with them, I would go for the Range Link. It's directly compatible with the low signal output of the trainer port on the DX6i (no hacking needed), and on top of that, you'll be able to use head tracking (the mixing is happening at the UHF system) because the DX6i does not support head tracking. So with Range Link, it's a win-win situation for a Spektrum Tx.
That sounds awesome! More along the lines of what I'm looking for, I really dont want to have to invest in another radio at the moment so this would probably best suite me.... When I become more advanced, maybe the 10 thresehold will be in my sights.

Wow.. I just looked into the Range Link and maybe a 9x with the patch would be best?
http://www.rangepiloting.com/rangelink-set-p-177.html
Last edited by BriGuy82; Aug 20, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:41 AM
SemperFi!
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anixs View Post
I'd *strongly* suggest a UHF long range system. I use EzUHF but there are many options out there (TSLRS, DragonLink, RangeLink, etc.). You (usually) don't need a new radio because UHF systems simply piggyback onto your current radio through the trainer port. As for range, I've personally stuck within 5-10 miles but these systems can go much farther.
Sorry guys, I just figured out the multiple quote feature so please forgive me. Mark, which radio are you using thie UHF on and can you shoot me a link please sir?

Thanks!
Brian